26 inch frame builders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

26 inch frame builders

Alright- I am sure I will get roasted for this one as I am sure someone has already had this tread forever ago. Just so you all know I tried searching and the search function is disabled.

I am trying to research a good frame builder who is reasonably affordable and can build a frame with Paragons on a 26 inch wheeled platform. I have been looking at Sycip and also Curtlo but the timing and other threads scare me about curtlo. I am also not sure I need to be fully custom, but I would like something a little more quality than my kona unit.

Ahy ideas?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    call john at Dean Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Gunnar Ruffian or Voodoo Wanga

mtbr member
    Waltworks is highly regarded for a "budget" builder. He is more known for his 29ers, but he does 26" frames too

I highly suggest reading this article and this article before deciding to go with a custom frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the input. I am liking the Gunnar suggestion. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    2nd the dean bikes rec. I Heart my Colonel 26".

mtbr member
    I just picked up a closeout 2008 Spot for $1,080 complete with UST wheelset, carbon bar, Stylo cranks, etc.

You should call them. They no longer make 26 frames but there may be a few more floating out there on dealer floors.

Mine was built in Colorado. Very, very happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    http://groovycycleworks.com/

Rody is a good dude.

Schipperkes are cool.
    coconino cycles
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Rick @ Hunter has been very responsive during my search. BlackCat seems cool too, but wait list is pretty long and he has his own custom drop outs (if u want a paragon alternative).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    depends on the $$$ factor. I looked at getting something custom, but decided that for me, for the time being, I can achieve what I want with a stock bike.

Cheapest builder of note is Curtlo, at about $850, but the wait seems to be about 8 months. There is no need to worry, but there is a need to wait. You will get a fantastic bike.

Waltworks is slightly more, and he is very well regarded. Having ridden on one (1 ride) I think he would be at the top of my list. The end product is really nice.

If you have big dollars and are a go fast type, the lightest is by Thylacine. He is known for absolutely nailing bikes in terms of geometry. He can build a 26 inch steel bike down to about 1500g.

These are the 3 that I really thought about. They are all excellent at what they do and communicative. I thought that these were the most 'practical' in the sense that they are a bit cheaper, really focussed on the ride and construction quality of the bike and are not really into unnecessarily pretty stuff. Pretty stuff is cool, but just not my thing. The list of bike builders who do pretty bikes is long. Groovy would be my pick, there is also places like indy fab and engin, but you pay a premium at these places.

Any builder worth their salt will build a bike with sliding dropouts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone know of production 26" manufacturers (that make small frames). My wife wants a single speed, but is too short for a 29er. She tried the Bianchi WUSS, loved it, went to buy it and it was sold. damn it! I need something sub 1000. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    make that 3 for Walt at Waltworks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    GT peace perhaps? Not much in the way of production SS 26" bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0