26" frame recommendations for SS build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

26" frame recommendations for SS build?

Going against the short stem/slack/29er fad, I'm thinking of building a 26" SS. Since they are out of fashion, seems there might be some deals to be had on the used market.

The purpose of this bike would be practice skills work from the Ryan Leech videos. I intend to get an undersized frame with long and high bar setup, trials style. Rigid with short chainstays is a must. Higher BB and disc brakes would be a bonus.

Any of you long timers have any recollection of 26" frames that might fit the bill?

mtbr member
    not sure how easliy you can find these new, but on the used market, they should be easy to find.

Surly 1x1
    On-One Inbred
    Redline Monocog
    Bianchi SASS, MASS, whatever other versions they made

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Santa Cruz Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    older kona unit, or kona "a" if you can find one

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    salsa juan solo

Just A Mountain Biker.
    They are all over Craigslist, I picked up a 97 Rockhopper for like $80 and turned it into a bitchin' SS mostly from spare parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I run an older surly 1x1 with a 100mm sus corrected fork which slacks it out slightly, but raises the bb. Get a proper ss ring. No narrow wide bs. Use a half link to snug that back wheel in as far as possible. I actually had my 1x1 set up for trials before, and I'm not gonna lie, not ideal. It sounds like you should just buy a trials bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    not sure how easliy you can find these new, but on the used market, they should be easy to find.

Surly 1x1
    On-One Inbred
    Redline Monocog
    Bianchi SASS, MASS, whatever other versions they made
    Bianchi MUSS.... avoid the earliest versions with rim brakes, unless you're into that sort of thing, BOSS for example

perhaps an old Surly Instigator if you don't mind vert drops with a singleator, lots of options if you don't mind non-specific SS drops. I've seen a few older Konas, the Humuhumu can take some punishment. There is a girl around my area that has one set up single with bmx bars, she looks like a young Missy Giove. I get goosebumps...
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Yes, all over Craigslist. I am picking up an old 26" Schwinn 80's mtb frame to convert and make into an awesome Chicago commuter.26" frame recommendations for SS build?-screen-shot-2017-07-17-9.15.25-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You should really look for a frame made for what you want to do. Converting an old mountain bike will work for a bit, but at the rate that you will break things, you are better off buying a $300-400 frame.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
    You should really look for a frame made for what you want to do. Converting an old mountain bike will work for a bit, but at the rate that you will break things, you are better off buying a $300-400 frame.
    What is going to break exactly? it's still an old MTB frame/bike, he's just interested in subtracting gears.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The way I read it, he's looking for a trials bike.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Or a dirt jump frame.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    A lot of trials dudes will still run v-brakes out back. I believe it stops better, and the braking forces on a disc mount can tear it from the frame. Get a brake booster. A lot of pros run hydro rims front and back. The bb7 with organic pads is also a common low buck choice for front brakes. But really. Just buy a trials frame. Or an old dj and mess around with that, but it's not gonna have your high bb. Also, hbtrials.com is my choice for trials parts, and you really can't go wrong with trial tech.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for your replies, guys. I decided to quit compromising and quell the curiosity once and for all. I just pulled the trigger on a 26" trials bike. I've gotten to know myself a little better and the reality is that this curiosity would not have been satisfied by anything else than the real enchilada. This ends up being the cheaper route and buying two or more unsatisfying bikes to get to the same place.

That said, in mulling the options I did find the dirt jumper geo to be interesting, and as well as many old school trials guys that recommended a Cannondale M800.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What did you go with? Where did you order from? I'll have to post a pic of my trials rig. And I would love a cannondale beast from the east.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStroganoff View Post
    What did you go with? Where did you order from? I'll have to post a pic of my trials rig. And I would love a cannondale beast from the east.
    Thanks Jake! I got a cheap used Meta VTT of Ebay. Also ordered a Inspired Flow 20" from Tartybikes for the 9yo daughter who is my primary riding partner. Wish I could have found a used kids trials bike but they are hard to come by. Can't wait to see how we both do on the dedicated setups. More excited for her than me, really, since she is dying to learn how to bunnyhop and currently riding a 24" fatty which is too much bike for her to manhandle.

Still I might have to add a M800 Beast of the East for a SS project if I come across one on Craigs!