24hours on a SS... well, almost- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Smile 24hours on a SS... well, almost

24Hours of Summer Solstice - Albion Hills, Ontario, Canada

This was my 1st 24hr race on a SS and only second SS race ever. My good friend Bill and I tried to tag-team the event; we met with mixed results. We had to stop for the night around 1 am, but managed to start again at 7 am. While Bill was able to motor along without much difficulty, he had a few problems with crashes that knocked him out of the race. I on the other hand managed to avoid any serious body-to-earth connections but suffered the inability to move fuel to the muscles and had to walk almost every hill after the first couple of laps. We were happy with what we did, but a bit disappointed at the same time.
    I had my doubts and misgivings on lap 4, when both legs were cramping and I was walking a hill I rode just a lap ago, but sleep and a day gives one a new perspective. I am not going to surrender or go quietly into that good night, rather I will use the burning sensation that remains within my legs as a fire, and with it I will forge an improved SSíer.
    I met myself on the trail that night and was not terribly impressed; if I ever meet that guy again Iím gonna kick his ass!
    this space left intentionally blank

Cold. Blue. Steel.

good going

well, that took balls to make your second SS race a solo 24 hour effort!
    did you run too big of a gear for the course? the first lap isn't nearly as important as your 5th and 10th and so on, in a 24 hr race!
    guaranteed: your next one will be a big improvement. and way to not be a quitter.
    Spinning and Grinning...

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Hey, I was there and raced Solo on my SS. The race is still a bit of a blur, but all-in-all, I was very happy with my 5th place (out of 42 solo men) with 17 laps. Laps 16 and 17 were excrutiating, but I knew I had to do them in order to keep my top-5 standing. I had only 2 goals: Top 5 and 17 laps. For '03, I had finished 6th with 16 laps.

I may have seen you on the trail. What SS are you riding? There were a few other SS'ers there, which is always great to see.

There are tons of pics at MTBKanata.com...just plug in your number plate. https://www.mtbkanata.com/event_photos.html

I like these two:

Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    I may have seen you on the trail. What SS are you riding? There were a few other SS'ers there, which is always great to see.
    I was the guy on the Kelly (dark blue with a silver fork). In spite of my weakened condition I was pretty chatty on the trails, I'm sure I talked to you, however breifly (as you passed me)

Did I mention we were doing double laps in order to give the other guy a longer rest? Sounds good in theory... hurt in practice

This is my favorite picture of me (possibly ever); it says it all...

And then a pic of me bombing down the 1st descent...
    this space left intentionally blank

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    I was the guy on the Kelly (dark blue with a silver fork). In spite of my weakened condition I was pretty chatty on the trails, I'm sure I talked to you, however breifly (as you passed me)

Did I mention we were doing double laps in order to give the other guy a longer rest? Sounds good in theory... hurt in practice
    Ya, I too can get pretty chatty on the trails...I find it helps to pass the time.

A buddy of mine was on a co-ed 2-man tag-team and they finished 2nd. I've done 9-yrs worth of 5-man teams, a 2-man 12-hr, 2 solo 24 hrs and a solo 8-hr, I will never do a 2-man 12- or 24-hour. 2-man teams take a much different approach and dynamics. Personally, I prefer the solo side of endurance racing.

Ya, my bud Joe Elliot (MTBKanata) is a great guy and photographer. He took 1750 pics during the entire weekend and has them all posted. I find his pics really do capture the essence of racing, 24 hrs or otherwise.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com