240 bolt on hubs - no tensioner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

240 bolt on hubs - no tensioner

Anyone have this issue.
    just got a wheel set built with 240s.... bolt on single speed rear hub is such that I can't fit a tensioner on the horizontal drop out. I have used surly tug bolts before, as well as the Spot brand rockets. Neither fit with this hub. I can crank on the 8mm bolts and the rear doesn't slip, but it is a bit scary.

anyone have any solutions?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i can make you a set that will fit the 10mm axles, if that's what's on those hubs.

mtbr member
    I'm confused why a Surly tugnutt wouldn't work? It's designed to work with 10mm axles as well, which I would assume the bolts on the 240 SS hub are if they fit normal MTB dropouts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mberesn1
    Anyone have this issue.
    just got a wheel set built with 240s.... bolt on single speed rear hub is such that I can't fit a tensioner on the horizontal drop out. I have used surly tug bolts before, as well as the Spot brand rockets. Neither fit with this hub. I can crank on the 8mm bolts and the rear doesn't slip, but it is a bit scary.

anyone have any solutions?
    Is this on a standard, rear-facing track end?

If so, you should be fine with the bolts as is. If you've got a painted steel or aluminum track end, you can remove the paint and get a better grip.

Those bolts are steel and pretty well knurled, so just crank 'em down and check them before every ride and you'll be good to go. They're designed to be used as is and not necessarily with tug nuts/whatever unless you have some situation where the bolts don't grip for some reason.

( )
    Nov 2004
    as 2xPneu said, you shouldn't need them. I've run bolt on 240s for 6 years on 3 different bikes--steel and titanium. Never slipped once.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Hog out the Sinz single bolt tensioner, doe it a few times to fit the bigger bolt on bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Members who have read this thread: 0