mtbr member
    Mar 2005

24" BMX cruiser on the mountain

Has anyone ever tried this? How would it work for doing light trail riding?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1 Brent
    I know of a guy who does it on occasion (in vans no less) but he has superhuman tendencies so I guess it just depends on the rider.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Saw one a couple of weekends ago. Ridden by a teenager who was riding with his Fisher-riding dad.

mtbr member

I have done it many a times on 20" and 24" BMX bikes. It is a blast...pretty tough, but fun as heck. A buddy and I used to ride Chiva Falls/Chiva Side Door in Tucson on the 20's years ago. It was brutal, but the looks we got from MTBers were pure comedy.

That's my name
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub347
    I have done it many a times on 20" and 24" BMX bikes. It is a blast...pretty tough, but fun as heck.

I have also ridden trails many times on 20" bmxs. It's kinda hard especially seeing as i always run the seat very low, however it is great fun!!
    I can imagine 24" wheels would make it a bit easier though, it's definitely worth giving it a go. On smoother trails i'd say it would be even better.
    But i wouldn't go out and buy one specifically for trail use when there are so many options mtb wise.

Cannonball!
    I have a Redline RL444, 24" cruiser, that I used to ride in the hills. Good single track is not too bad, but rocky/rough stuff is a bear. 24's difinitely roll far better than 20's. It's also tough to get the seat set at an adequate height, then again I spent alot of time standing on the pedals anyway! Nothing beats passing somebody riding a full-on mountain bike on a BMX!

That's my name
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d
    I .. rocky/rough stuff is a bear. 24's difinitely roll far better than 20's. It's also tough to get the seat set at an adequate height...Nothing beats passing somebody riding a full-on mountain bike on a BMX!

For sure!
    All true, especially the passing part!!!!

mtbr member
    I've tried it on a 24" BMX race bike w/ platform pedals on some nice (but tough) singletrack. It was more difficult than I thought it would be.

Things that made it tricky:
    - stopping with one rear brake
    - tire size (1.75 inch Comp IIIs)
    - seat height
    - even compared to a rigid singlespeed mountain bike, the ride was bone jarring
    - BMX geometry is way quicker than a mountain bike

Old School
    Jul 2004

Agreed, it's tough but fun - however

I just switched to a 29er mtb (05 fisher xcaliber). I recommend trying bigger rather than smaller. the bmxer's rock, though just for the fun of it. push em up and hang it out on the way down. I just didn't like having my hands hurt so bad at the bottom of the trail from the vibration.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... Heck YESS

I occasionally ride a 20" DK race bmx on trails, but I find that the tighter/more technical trails, the better the ride, I do run clipless mallet pedals, mainly for safety and because if you are ridding tough trails, you can last a lot longer, I can go for at least an hour on tough trails, but it would be hard to go more than 30 minutes with platforms. I also use a front brake plate and a front V-brake, and have my gear lowered to 39w/a integrated bash gaurd and a 18 in the back(standard bmx race gear is 44/16). I also have a nice cruiser and have run it off road, it's still challenging, but I don't ride it much cause I don't have a front brake, or a hole for a brake plate on the fork.
    The tight wheel base and smaller wheels make it a blast in really tight trails, the steeper HT angle might take a little getting used to if you are not accustomed to it. YOu can also bunny hop, and lift the front wheel much eiser on the bmx, It'll beat you up, but that should be expected.

Retrograde Customs
    My buddy does this all the time. I probably will too once i get my cruiser together. my 20 inch isnt much fun because it's wicked heavy and it beats the hell out of me.
    Retrograde Customs