2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Belt-drive- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Belt-drive

Finally done! Here she is in all her glory.

2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Medium Frame
    Onyx boost ISO HG 148/12 TA rear hub
    Onyx boost ISO 110/15 TA front
    AMC 3834 27.5+ Rims (the last of their kind)
    Fox Factory 32 FLOAT FiT4 29/27.5+ Boost 120mm Fork
    e*Thirteen XCX Crankset 175mm
    RaceFace 73mm BSA BB
    Raceface Next 20mm rise, 760mm length, 35mm clamp
    Raceface Turbine 60mm Stem, 35mm clamp
    Magura MT4 Brake front/rear
    Magura Storm SL Stainless rotors 180/160
    Easton EC90 Seatpost
    Chromag Lynx saddle
    Gates 42T chainring
    Gates 24T Cog
    Gates Carbon Belt 113mm
    Hutchinson Taipan Koloss 27.5x2.8 Tires (were on sale on BTI, giving them a shot)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Belt-drive-spotrocker2.jpg  

2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Belt-drive-spotrocker3.jpg  

2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Belt-drive-spotrocker4.jpg  

2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Belt-drive-703d143f-7e47-4656-ac9c-f0ee0f9b865c.jpg  

2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Belt-drive-470e9595-9bcb-4481-89f6-f9fdc2c51bcc.jpg  

Nature never said one thing, and wisdom another...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice build, your all the way forward with that 113, and gears. I was back and forth between Spot and reeb

mtbr member
    I bought the frame used and it shipped with a 42x28 setup. That was almost bottomed out in the top of the drop-outs and my 2.8s would rub the inside of the chain stays when i load the tires up or the frame flexes. That gear was way too low for my local trails so i ordered a 24T cog and the smaller cog gave me some room in the drop-outs and it doesnt rub any more so itís in the sweet spot now. 👍🏻

mtbr member
    Congratulations dude. That looks like a real pleasure to ride. My wife has a belt drive commuter bike, and I find the silence and smoothness of it's ride is something special. A single speed must be amazing.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    AustinTRON,

Can you give us an update on your bike? How's it? How much does the build weigh? What have you changed, if anything?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    AustinTRON,

Can you give us an update on your bike? How's it? How much does the build weigh? What have you changed, if anything?

This

mtbr member
    This is easily the coolest bike Iíve ever ridden. The belt is so silent, the hub makes absolutely no sound what-so-ever. Even if you put it in a bike stand and put your ear up to it with the wheel spinning, all you hear is the spokes cutting through the air. I get to see so many more deer, turkeys, Auodad sheep, bobcats, badgers, snakes, porcupines and more. Its amazing how much more wildlife you get to see on this bike.

As for ride quality, itís smooth, comfortable, feel solid and reliable, yet light and makes you want to ride aggressively. If you like pushing the limits of what a hardtail can do I highly recommend this bike. I dont even have a dropper on this bike (yet) and i get it in the air every chance I get. Coming from a 29er i really feel like I can rail corners, slash berms and send gaps I never would have tried on my old bike.

This build isnt a weight weenie ride, but this being one of the lightest weight steel mtb frames money can buy, it could be. I could build it up with some similarly priced CK hub, some light XC tires, a rigid carbon fork, a carbon crankset and a much lighter saddle and Iíd bet it would be sub-20lbs. and I bet it would have been cheaper too. This fork and hubset wasnít cheap. Right now as it sits it is right at 25 lbs. which is pretty dang good for a steel plus bike with a suspension fork and Onyx hubs. I still plan on adding a Fox factory Transfer post which is going to add another 530 grams which is about 1.25 lbs. aaaand I couldnt care less. This build is just pure fun to me. This frame would be perfect for a gram-counting, leg shaving XC racer or it could be the raddest, gnarliest, mud-loving trail shredder that you never thought a hardtail could be. If you havnt ridden a steel frame before and youre in the market for a new whip. I couldnt say enough good things about this bike.

As for cons, there arenít many. But it does not have an internal routing option for a dropper, but there are more than enough externaly routed seat post options out there. The headset is integrated which is fine by me, but some people like to press their own cups. Itís not hand made in the U.S. any more but I really hope they can bring that back some day and maybe just out-source their carbon.

All in all, this bike can do whatever you want it to do. In my build I sacrificed weight for a better ride quality and a little more aggressive trail capability. And this frame really shines in that aspect. I couldnt be happier. Canít wait for my dropper post!

mtbr member
    Thank you for the insight.

Recently I bought a used Honey Badger SS with a belt drive. The HB is a kind of evolutionary predecessor to the current boost Rocker.

Happy with it so far. Nowhere near as much capability on HB as a Rocker due in larger part to a lower travel fork.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    This is easily the coolest bike Iíve ever ridden. The belt is so silent, the hub makes absolutely no sound what-so-ever. Even if you put it in a bike stand and put your ear up to it with the wheel spinning, all you hear is the spokes cutting through the air. I get to see so many more deer, turkeys, Auodad sheep, bobcats, badgers, snakes, porcupines and more. Its amazing how much more wildlife you get to see on this bike.

As for ride quality, itís smooth, comfortable, feel solid and reliable, yet light and makes you want to ride aggressively. If you like pushing the limits of what a hardtail can do I highly recommend this bike. I dont even have a dropper on this bike (yet) and i get it in the air every chance I get. Coming from a 29er i really feel like I can rail corners, slash berms and send gaps I never would have tried on my old bike.

This build isnt a weight weenie ride, but this being one of the lightest weight steel mtb frames money can buy, it could be. I could build it up with some similarly priced CK hub, some light XC tires, a rigid carbon fork, a carbon crankset and a much lighter saddle and Iíd bet it would be sub-20lbs. and I bet it would have been cheaper too. This fork and hubset wasnít cheap. Right now as it sits it is right at 25 lbs. which is pretty dang good for a steel plus bike with a suspension fork and Onyx hubs. I still plan on adding a Fox factory Transfer post which is going to add another 530 grams which is about 1.25 lbs. aaaand I couldnt care less. This build is just pure fun to me. This frame would be perfect for a gram-counting, leg shaving XC racer or it could be the raddest, gnarliest, mud-loving trail shredder that you never thought a hardtail could be. If you havnt ridden a steel frame before and youre in the market for a new whip. I couldnt say enough good things about this bike.

As for cons, there arenít many. But it does not have an internal routing option for a dropper, but there are more than enough externaly routed seat post options out there. The headset is integrated which is fine by me, but some people like to press their own cups. Itís not hand made in the U.S. any more but I really hope they can bring that back some day and maybe just out-source their carbon.

All in all, this bike can do whatever you want it to do. In my build I sacrificed weight for a better ride quality and a little more aggressive trail capability. And this frame really shines in that aspect. I couldnt be happier. Canít wait for my dropper post!
    Just wondering what area you ride in and what kind of local trails? I am looking at this same bike and can't find a ton of info on it...wondering if this SS belt drive would be torture on rides with big climbs? How do you find the 42/24 gear ratio?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Hi, places usually ridden are pretty tame trails in the San Francisco Bay Area. So far the most technical trail I took the Honey Badger on were the rockier trails in Skeggs. It did fine. I can't dominate the downhills against full suspension hard chargers, but I'm not too far behind.

The gear is tallish. But it's virtually identical to two of my chain driven single speeds. I can ride and climb most of the stuff around here with it.

When I need a lower gear I take out a different bike with a Dingle, or an FS bike if it's really rough.

Yeah, the gear is so tall that it could be a liability on technical climbs. But the flip side is that it forces me to attack. If it's sustained I'll blow up and walk. So there's that. That is single speeding.

Sometimes I can track stand and get my wind back for another charge if necessary. I like the way the bike rides.

I've been ranting on another thread here about the belt drive making noise. I'm going to ride this weekend, and I'll post something about it.

I have plans to put a rigid fork and a 2.6" tire on the Honey Badger in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    42x24 belt drive is equivalent to running a 32x20 with a chain/cog setup.

I just bought a Spot Rocker SS 27.5+ (hard to pass up the BF deal) and am going with a 42x26. Gear ratio will be equivalent to 32x22.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
    42x24 belt drive is equivalent to running a 32x20 with a chain/cog setup.

I just bought a Spot Rocker SS 27.5+ (hard to pass up the BF deal) and am going with a 42x26. Gear ratio will be equivalent to 32x22.
    Assuming equivalent wheel size and crank length:

Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator:

42x24 is a gain ratio of 3.7 (closer to 32x19). 42x26 is a gain ratio of 3.4, which is equivalent to 32x20 (not 32x22).

See also: Gates Carbon Drive Calculator

32x22 is a gain ratio of 3.1; a close equivalent for a belt drive with a 42t front ring is 42x28 (3.17 gain ratio).

mtbr member
    Installed my new seat post finally with the Wolftooth 1x remote.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Spot Rocker 27.5+ Belt-drive-img_1537.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks awesome!

No SS trail riding for me this weekend. It's a mudfest out there.

In recent months I've obtained a rigid fork and a plus 29" tire for the Honey Badger, but it probably will be a couple of months out until I try that configuration out.

Some random detail pics: