2016's Hardest effort/best SS ride's for "February"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2016's Hardest effort/best SS ride's for "February"

C'mon ... where's the attitude hiding? 2016's Hardest effort/best SS ride's for "February"-fullsizerender-251.jpg Failed attempt cleaning Priest rock yesterday in Los Gatos but it was a Near Death experience for this old man!
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Running 52 gear inches on my ol'school C'Dale rigid 96er. Admittedly, I began to cramp up in the last 3 miles back to the truck.

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Raleigh Willard 2
    Cannondale CAD3 SS 96er build (circa 1997)

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now that's more like it FatDirt! Post up a ride and maybe a pic ... Let's make this a Monthly/Weekly ride report?

mtbr member
    Well Feb is just about over. I did a regular Coe ride route that usually takes gears to ride. I did everything except the climb out of Cross Canyon west finally killed me.

Also in February I did some good Lake Sonoma stuff. And this weekend I made an okay loop up the canyon and up Grizzly.

Next I want to do Charcoal Road climb again and try climbing Jackson Trail in Coe on a single speed. I never tried Jackson on an SS!

I have never tried to go up Priest on an SS. I don't ride Sierra Azul except on Thanksgiving this past decade. Maybe I should try this madness.

mtbr member
    22-25 miles today in 3.5hrs. Most climbing since ditching my gears. 3 miles of steep descent offset a mile or so of ascent that had to be done mostly on foot, while the rest was more balanced up/down.
    My normal loop at the same place, but with a lot less elevation change, is 17+ miles and takes me 2hrs.
    I'm surprised to feel so good afterwards, especially since I felt like crap to begin with and was already suffering halfway in. Fitness level still has quite a way to go...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2016's Hardest effort/best SS ride's for "February"

I dropped down to 49.5 gear inches for this ride with steep climbs.

Cannondale CAADX 105 - SS build
    Raleigh Willard 2 - Commuter / Gravel Grinder
    Cannondale CAD3 (circa '97) - 96er SS Rigid Build

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Rode my first long distance race on the Kona Unit at the Tommyknocker 10hr race in Silver City, New Mexico this past weekend...

84 miles, 5500 ft of gain good for a 3rd place podium spot in male SSolo. Undoubtably the cheapest bike on podium as well...

2016's Hardest effort/best SS ride's for "February"-screen-shot-2016-03-01-4.42.26-pm.png

mtbr member
    Nice effort guy's and doll's just in case. March is up next ...

mtbr member

Above is my hardest feeling effort of February, Coe.

Below is a ride that was not as steep or technical, Lake Sonoma.

O

mtbr member

Never mind ....

I messed up ... let's all rock March!

mtbr member

Listen!

Yeah!

Well I usually get some longer rides in March. I have a dingle speed really. It's a White Industries DOS with 38 and 35 tooth chainrings and 22/20 freewheel. It is really easy to switch mid ride but in practice I never have.

So the two rides I posted above were in the lower gear; 42.53 gear inches.

The ride below was in the 38x20, 48.84 gear inches, and nowhere as steep or rugged as the rides above.

So now that I have a dngle this spring (I switched to this new drive train last September), I will probably start switching gear ratios on the increasingly longer rides planned for March through June. So Will that be single speed? Even if it isn't, I am sure it will feel that way. Also, as things dry out I will probably put heavier tires on as well.

Here is my bike:

Well, as you can see the bike is 26" with v brakes in the rear. It has an Eno hub for chain tension. I love it.

My longest rides on it are at almost 50 miles and 10k apiece. That is where I hope to get to by May. But it takes time. Let's see what this year brings.

Paul

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Paul, in my book a dingle speed is functionally a single speed. If you are dedicated to a single gear while riding, then you are single-speeding. Great ride profiles BTW. Ride ON fellow SSer!

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Raleigh Willard 2

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FatDirt View Post

That is one of my favorite local loops. (SS and geared).

Just did a big (67 miles, 7700 vert) mixed terrain single speed cyclocross ride that included parts of Cronan Ranch (Gerle Loop, West Ridge and down South Fork). Used a 42x20. -> https://www.strava.com/activities/503955896

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    That is one of my favorite local loops. (SS and geared).

Just did a big (67 miles, 7700 vert) mixed terrain single speed cyclocross ride that included parts of Cronan Ranch (Gerle Loop, West Ridge and down South Fork). Used a 42x20. -> https://www.strava.com/activities/503955896
    RS - I follow you on Strava. You log some crazy miles and elevations on your rides. Looking forward to (and training for) your Sierra Surprise Foresthill Gravel Grinder,... Not sure if I can make it on a SS though!

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Raleigh Willard 2

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FatDirt View Post
    RS - I follow you on Strava. You log some crazy miles and elevations on your rides. Looking forward to (and training for) your Sierra Surprise Foresthill Gravel Grinder,... Not sure if I can make it on a SS though!
    Ha! oh small world If you wanted t do the Surprise on a SS...I recenly did *most* of it (final route is TBD) on a 42x18. It was doable, but I think a 19 would certainly be better. Lots of people seem to have the impression that the route will be extremely hard...sure, it will be challenging, but trying to make it more 'fun' than just hard for the sake of being hard. Know what I mean?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Ha! oh small world If you wanted t do the Surprise on a SS...I recenly did *most* of it (final route is TBD) on a 42x18. It was doable, but I think a 19 would certainly be better. Lots of people seem to have the impression that the route will be extremely hard...sure, it will be challenging, but trying to make it more 'fun' than just hard for the sake of being hard. Know what I mean?
    All good. Thanks for the Intel on the ride and gearing. I'll be there!

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Raleigh Willard 2