2015 Trek Superfly SS, help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

2015 Trek Superfly SS, help

I'm looking into getting my first mountain bike. I thought the 2015 Superfly looked like a cool bike and found a single speed on sale. I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to convert this into a geared bike. I don't think I'm a strong enough rider to go without gears, but it was a great deal. Anyone know?

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    Hi,

First of all I am jealous, that is a sweet bike. The Superfly comes with a derailer hanger built into the rear dropout, so you can at least put a rear derailer on it. I would try it like it comes for a bit however. The 32 tooth crank with 18 tooth freewheel should be a relatively easy gear ratio.

I am just getting back into cycling after a 5 year hiatus, I just purchased a Surly Karate Monkey with 33 tooth crank and 17 tooth freewheel. Being a out of shape chubby guy, it feels like a fine gear for most my riding. Give the SS a whirl, you may really enjoy it.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I think it's me, but let me try to clarify. So you purchased the 2015 Superfly SS and you're asking if it can be converted to a geared bike?

Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk SS. I've never met you, but I think you're underestimating yourself. SS forces you to ride aggressive. You rest on the flats and attack the hills. I don't know what gearing you have on your bike, but I recommend trying it. Pick a flat trail and see what you think.

If you have to walk a lot then purchase a larger cog. Once you find a gear that you're comfortable with, ride it, and you'll develop more strength. Report back and let us know what you think and the stock gearing. It's usually stamped on the cog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

superfly

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I think it's me, but let me try to clarify. So you purchased the 2015 Superfly SS and you're asking if it can be converted to a geared bike?

Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk SS. I've never met you, but I think you're underestimating yourself. SS forces you to ride aggressive. You rest on the flats and attack the hills. I don't know what gearing you have on your bike, but I recommend trying it. Pick a flat trail and see what you think.

If you have to walk a lot then purchase a larger cog. Once you find a gear that you're comfortable with, ride it, and you'll develop more strength. Report back and let us know what you think and the stock gearing. It's usually stamped on the cog.
    Well, I haven't bought it yet, or even ridden it. This is a bike I'm just considering. That's why I was just wondering if I could change it to a geared bike if i wanted to, just in case I run into some big hills.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Check post 30; this guy's done it and it doesn't look like a huge deal. That said, it seems like more trouble and expense than just buying a geared Superfly if that's what you want.

http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/superfly...-937653-2.html

mtbr member
    It is as simple as replacing the slider on the drive side. Trek dealer should be able to get you the part.
    Signature

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steph1 View Post
    Well, I haven't bought it yet, or even ridden it. This is a bike I'm just considering. That's why I was just wondering if I could change it to a geared bike if i wanted to, just in case I run into some big hills.
    Sounds like a plan. I can gear down for the hills, but I have a hard time keeping up when we get to the fire roads. It sounds like this bike will fit the bill though. I really like the color scheme of the 2015. Let us know if you end up purchasing the bike. Later!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    would be easier to buy a superfly geared bike and change it to SS and keep the parts

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    It is as simple as replacing the slider on the drive side. Trek dealer should be able to get you the part.
    True and not true. The new Superfly SS frame does not have the necessary cable stops to run derailleur cables. So the cable/housing would need to be zip-tied to the frame, and a continuous length of housing would need to be run from the shifter to the derailleur. There is a high likelihood of this resulting in poor shifting performance. Additionally, you may need to buy a new rear wheel. The last Trek SS I bought (2013 Rig) had a shortened freehub SS specific rear wheel.

I have just recently build up a 2016 Superfly SS frame set and I love it. One of the best bikes I have ridden. I then took my Rig and converted it to a 1X10 MTB. That particular bike came stock with a suspension fork and I had the necessary parts to do so. If I had to buy wheel, fork, derailleur etc. it would not have been worth IMO. Also the Rig has all the necessary cable stops to appropriately run shifting cables.

My advice is to buy the bike you want. If you want a SS buy it, if you want a geared bike find the right geared bike. I wouldn't buy one and trying to evolve it into the other.