2014 Kona Unit comes w/ taped wheel ready for Tubeless- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2014 Kona Unit comes w/ taped wheel ready for Tubeless

So I picked up a new 2014 Kona Unit a few days ago and I love this SS bike. I had so much fun riding around a local trail.

So today I was going to go tubeless. I bought all the supplies (Stans valves, sealant and tape).

When I took off the tires, to my surprise, I notice that it already had tape applied (Pics below). I put on 29"x2.5" Maxxis Minion DHF TR EXO front and kept the stock 29"x2.25" Maxxis Ardent in the rear.

I just put on the tires and pumped it up with air, to make sure everything fitted right. It filled up and popped into place.

I did notice that both tires the valves were leaking some air. I searched the forums and some members suggested to tighten the nut more or put a o-ring inside. I still haven't put in some sealant yet because I just wanted to make sure with you all on what to do.

Should I just put some sealant and it should solve the problem or should I do the things mentioned in the above paragraph?

If you suggest an o-ring what size o-ring should I use?

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    I setup a Unit tubeless last night with those same wheels but I've never used O Rings before. My wheels leaked around the valve also but the Stan's sealed it and they were good to go and I got my first ride on it last night

The White Jeff W
    They wont hold air for long without sealant. Its part of the system.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I'll put in sealant .

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi,
    I just got a 2014 Unit two days ago. Riding stock for now but interested in going tubeless. The shop I bought it from told me I'd need new/different tires in order to run tubeless, yet you are running the stock rear tire on yours it appears. I'm a noob re: tubeless - do I need different tires? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Both the 2014 and 2015 Unit comes with tubeless ready rims and tires, however the 2013 does not. Please correct if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jocke View Post
    Both the 2014 and 2015 Unit comes with tubeless ready rims and tires, however the 2013 does not. Please correct if I'm wrong.
    You can convert the 2013 to tubeless with very little effort. You can use Stan's rim tape and sealant or (I used) gorilla tape and Stan's sealant and it worked great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    Hi,
    I just got a 2014 Unit two days ago. Riding stock for now but interested in going tubeless. The shop I bought it from told me I'd need new/different tires in order to run tubeless, yet you are running the stock rear tire on yours it appears. I'm a noob re: tubeless - do I need different tires? Thanks.
    Answering my own question here, but FWIW to other noobs like me: Kona says "the clincher on a regular maxxis tire is good for tubeless if you get it just right but the shop is right that it is better to have a bead that is ready for tubeless from the get-go"

mtbr member
    Hi,
    In most cases you don't need new tires even if they're not "tubeless ready." The Stan's sealant will seal most but it may take some time. The tires can be porous and it will take some time for Stan's to seal...sometimes they'll seal in after a couple miles, others will take a few long rides (usually fine while riding but flats between rides). I've done this with a few cheap Kenda tires. They always seal, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

mtbr member
    ^^^ +1 ^^^

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi,
    I'm still using the stock Maxxis Ardent rear tire. It has been working great and no issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mine worked for a while just to see if I liked it. I eventually bought the Ardent 2.4 EXO and am running them from and rear here on rocky mountain bench trails in Utah. The stock Ardent kept having to be fiddled with to hold air and stay running. Plus riding rocks fast at 190# I'd feel the rim touch a few times a ride. Now I'm spoiled, 20 psi in a 2.4 with steel frame and carbon fork and bar. It's like I'm cheating out there. Love the Unit. My 140mm travel ultra bike with dropper is now on stand by and acts as a loaner to my buddies.