2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?- Mtbr.com
    No Shades of Gray

2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?

Considering one of these but other than a couple basic frame images and cpl reviews online I have not seen anything on this frame out there. No build images, no hoopla etc.
    Is the frame out there? Anyone riding it? Feedback? Images? Anything?

Just want to know more about it...and see what it looks like built. Looks sweet IMO but what the heck do I know.

Thanks!
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live" -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dunno, but right now I'm leaning towards buying a built-up 2012 model. If/when I get my hands on it I'll post it up here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll post some pics when I can. I have a '13 17.5. It rides extremely well, very stiff and efficient, point and shoot yet doesn't beat you up. Right around 21-22 lbs right now ready to ride with pedals and cages, but I've been slowly pulling weight off of it. As soon as I can get my hands on a Chisel fork, I'll throw that on. The sliding dropouts work well, and haven't had any issues with it.

Build:

-Reba RLT
    -M785 Brakes
    -Sram XO BB30 crank w/ MRP 32t Bling Ring
    -Surly 19t cog
    -KMC 10sp chain (experiment)
    -Crest Front w/stans hd hub
    -Handspun X9 with Arch Rear
    -Conti Protection X-Trail 2.2's Tubeless (awesome all around tire)
    -Spec Phenom Saddle (cro-mo rails)
    -FSA OS-99 stem
    -FSA Carbon flat bars
    -Spec Foam Grips
    -Spec Ergo Bar ends
    -Egg Beaters

Future Mods:
    -Carbon wheels off my CX bike when the season is over (1450 gms)
    -Chisel Fork

No Shades of Gray
    Sounds like a nice build. Looking forward to seeing some images.
    I too will be running carbon wheels and and actually considering the XX1 crankset on the front to see how that works.
    I am considering the Chisel but I just don't know that I can handle the beating of Zero suspension up front. Right now looks like a SID World Cup will be in front

Did you happen to weigh your frame when you got it? The conflicting info online shows ranging between 1300g and 1470 which is quite broad.

L.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No I didn't, but 1470 wouldn't surprise me. The stans wheelset/conti tires on an otherwise stock '12 stumpy expert was only a pound heavier. Heard the sliders add a bit of weight to the frame compared to the geared stumpy.

I'm in the same boat with the Chisel, we have some very technical trails. But, I don't get to MTB but a couple times a month due to work/fam, and when I do my buddies are killing me. I decided I wanted to go back to basics and learn how to ride again after coming from a FS, then the geared stumpy, hence the SS and eventually rigid. LOVING the SS so far, I brought the SS as a backup to a 12hr race that was a fast course, I was only a couple min slower/lap than w/ gears. Will be riding it for the forseeable future. We'll see how the Chisel goes, may be stuck with it for a while as the Reba is spoken for already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorry, I'm embarrassed of the bad pics and the bike is dirty, but here she is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-uploadfromtaptalk1352945231965.jpg  

2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-uploadfromtaptalk1352945248838.jpg  

No Shades of Gray
    You realize this rig just might be the ONLY on the web right now? Lol. Glad to finally see one built up. And no one can accuse you of not riding it! Looks like its a little messy in your part of the world.
    SSing will bring the skills back that's for sure. As much as it is about another toy for me I am building mostly as a training tool. Had one before and it just makes me think so much more about the trail lines, my legs, efficiency etc. maybe like you said that might be the reason to go Chisel, to further focus my mind on the ride, not allowing me to be sloppy.

It does have a solid aggressive look. Good proportions, not an awkward shape like some. Hope it rides as responsive as you mentioned. I hope to have one by Xmas and will post it here also.

Maybe by then we have a few more posted.

Thx.
    L

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    LOL, I couldn't find a picture of one either before I built mine up. There were a few S-Works 2010's I found, but nothing of the current models. I promise to give her a bath and post some outdoor pics.

The trails that we ride often are holding up quite well for this time of year. But we recently had a Fat Tire Fest at a new location where the connector trails were user created (read: horses ATV's) and not maintained...we attempted to drain about a dozen mud holes with varing degrees of success.

I'll continue to update as I make changes. I'll baseline the weight with this setup and go from there. Next summer I'll throw the Race Kings or Renegades back on and should drop some more weight.

Good luck on yours. Post it up when you get her built. If you get a chance, weigh the frame!

B2

drop outs

I to am thinking about buying this frame. I like the geo. but I'm not sure if I want a carbon SS. I might go ti for more compliance.
    Anyhow I'm getting older and think the option of running it a with XX-1 x11 someday would be a good thing. On the Spec. frame specs page it lists "notes"- Protective clear coat, derailleur hanger, owners manual. Is this a misprint or does it really come derailleur hanger?
    I know this is the SS forum and speaking of gears might be blasphemy but My current Spot brand needs to be replaced and I need to know my options.
    Thanks
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwork View Post
    Sorry, I'm embarrassed of the bad pics and the bike is dirty, but here she is.

Don't be! Dirty pics trump glamour shots all day long!

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by b2b2 View Post
    I to am thinking about buying this frame. I like the geo. but I'm not sure if I want a carbon SS. I might go ti for more compliance.
    Anyhow I'm getting older and think the option of running it a with XX-1 x11 someday would be a good thing. On the Spec. frame specs page it lists "notes"- Protective clear coat, derailleur hanger, owners manual. Is this a misprint or does it really come derailleur hanger?
    I know this is the SS forum and speaking of gears might be blasphemy but My current Spot brand needs to be replaced and I need to know my options.
    Thanks
    I have not rode this, but if it rides anything like the 2012...its not for me.
    In my subjective opinion, there is no better material than titanium for a hardtail/rigid..
    with or without gears.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

B2
    Thanks dub. I know you are right. Sometimes I am just too cheap!
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

Trail Junkie

... and if we just ...

Thanks dub. I know you are right. Sometimes I am just too cheap!
    There are plenty of ways to get into ti. cheaper than Carbon!

Heck, the Specialized SJ Carbon SS frame is $2200.
    There are cheaper options, but a Quiring Custom frame, handmade in the US
    runs $2350, and Scott is a blast to work with..with a quick turn-around!
    QUIRINGCYCLES.NET

Lynskey has a Ridgeline 29SL size XL in their loft for $995 right now
    and it normally costs $1995.
    2010 Ridgeline-29 SL (Size: XL) - Lynskey Performance | Titanium Bicycles
    Ridgeline-29 SL Titanium Hardtail 29er Mountain Bike Frame - Lynskey Performance | Titanium Bicycles

Carver charges $1199 for their Ti 99'er
    Ti 99'er (29'er)
    or $1199 to start a custom build
    Custom Ti

There are options sir!
    Unless you are after the Glamour and glitter of a Moots, Indy Fab, Blacksheep, or Ericksen to name a few.

Now...if your budget isn't even $1199..well then you'll have to settle for the "lesser materials"
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

B2
    Thanks Dub.
    I work @ a shop in Colorado and can get EP on Specialized and Moots.
    I don't mean to highjack the thread, but the geo on the Moots seems sort of old school, Steeper head angle, longer chain stays. I had a 26, Ybb in the 90's and loved it. But I was a racer boy back then. I still race, but ride more.
    I like the geo of the Kona Raijin but we're no a dealer.
    So it comes down to deciding between the more modern geo or the classic moots ride and quality. Also Any thoughts as far as ybb vs. rigid?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    On the Spec. frame specs page it lists "notes"- Protective clear coat, derailleur hanger, owners manual. Is this a misprint or does it really come derailleur hanger?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, no, there are no provisions for a der hanger.

I haven't ridden a Ti hardtail. It is on the list though. My experience is with AL and Steel. This frame takes the torsional stiffness you can get with AL and comfort of steel. The geo is spot on for our short/steep hills, and point and shoot tech sections.

B2
    I think I will pull the trigger this week and order a new stump 29 ss frame. I'm not sure if I will like a medium or a large frame. @ 5'10.5" I am between sizes. My large Spot Brand feels a tad too big but my large Epic 29 feels OK. The main reason I am considering a med. over a large is for more stand over. I have done a parking lot demo of the medium and it seemed ok, but no real world testing yet. My fat bike is a medium Salsa Mukluk, 23.75 ett with a 100 mm stem and fits me best of any of my bikes. Any advice is welcome!
    I posted a few photos to show how I have my Spot set up and on of me on my fat bike.
    Also pwork how tell are you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-p6060028.jpg  

2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-p6060029.jpg  

2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-pb300005.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

No Shades of Gray
    2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-dsc_0095.jpg
    Hey pwork!
    Finally after all this time i have put the bike together.
    Got a few little tweaks that need to be made but figured at least I'd post some pictures finally honoring my end of the deal.

If my calcs are correct it weighs in just above 19lbs somewhere. Need to weigh the full bike.
    Probably what I'm most excited about are the Hope X2 Race brakes. I have SRAM XX brakes on my other bikes and Hope puts them to shame!
    Also trying out the XX1 cranks with a 34/18. The BB bolt keep coming loose but otherwise feels good.

L
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-dsc_0102.jpg  

2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-dsc_0093.jpg  

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-dsc02574-800px.jpg  

Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice Line! Got any rides on it yet? I'd like to try the Hopes too, if nothing else they are CNC works of art. Had a lot of issues with my XT brakes, but they seem sorted now.

I need to put up an updated pic. Just got her cleaned up for a race this weekend. Mine is now under 18lbs w/a chisel fork. Only one ride on it rigid so far, but I'm diggin it. I'll snap a few tonight.

No Shades of Gray
    I have been on it once for a couple hours. Felt good to be on a HT, I ride and race FS Gary Fishers SF100's. That said the stem/handlebar is too high so i could lean into turns as I like in turn making it feel kinda slow in the tight turns. I am sure just adjusting the cockpit position will solve that.

Under 18lbs! Damn. Definitely post it up. I did consider the carbon rigid forks but cuz I'm wimpy - I guess - I went with the SID World Cup. Fairly light and I can quickly lock it out when I am climbing or on fast stuff. Maybe someday I'll just get a rigid just to swap out once in a while.

mtbr member
    Twentynineinches.com have one and have been reviewing it. Their mid-term review can be found here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Re: 2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?

That is a good write up as usual!

Here is an pic of my ride. Not a glamor shot but gets the point across. Test of the rigid fork is this weekend...17 miles of rock and 3000 ft of climbing!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Stumpy Carbon SS sightings?-uploadfromtaptalk1359601791384.jpg  

No Shades of Gray
    Good luck this wknd with the rigid. It has a cool stealth look that's for sure.
    Curious to know hear you like it after the race. The idea is intriguing.

One Gear
    How do you like the chain tension system. It looks great. Does it hold tight?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    So far sliders have been solid and trouble free.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    So far sliders have been solid and trouble free.
    Same here. I've swapped cogs a few times, and each time I've moved it, it has stayed and held solid.

Writeup as promised. Here is the setup: Last weekend I did the 17 mile Snake Creek Gap TT in Dalton, GA on my stumpy SS with the new chisel fork. In January I had a Reba on it with 32/20 and it weighed ~21 lbs, last weekend I was rigid with 32/22 and it weighed <18 ready to ride less water. This race is not new to me, but all previous years have been on a geared FS and done the 34 mile option. The trail has a ton of climbing (I'm from IL and bad for me) 3000 ft in 17 miles or 5500 in 34. The second half is pretty technical (good for me) with lots of square rocks.

Overall, the bike just rocked. 20yrds after the start line is a 550ft climb at ~8%. Four pedal strokes up the climb I knew it'd be a good day...the efficiency of the rigid was amazing even compared to a locked out fork. Between the fork and the gearing I took alot of time off my climbing. Up on the ridge, the rocks started coming. I knew I'd have to adjust my style a bit, but a few would still catch me off guard and bottomed my front tire against the rim. I ran 20psi in the front, and 21 in the rear (tubeless). I did notice increased steering precision in the rocks, as I'm guessing I lost a lot of flex over the reba. The only place I lost time was on the DH's...having a fixed HT angle inspired confidense in the smooth turns, but when it got rough at speed I'd have to hang on for dear life, I'll get used to it, but my habits from ploughing FS will die hard. Overall through the climbing efficiency, and steering precision it is a keeper. Ended up beating my Jan time by 15 minutes. Lots of reasons for that, but I won't be going back to a suspension fork this year.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Nice bike! Me likey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by linerider View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0095.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	756842
    Hey pwork!
    Finally after all this time i have put the bike together.
    Got a few little tweaks that need to be made but figured at least I'd post some pictures finally honoring my end of the deal.

If my calcs are correct it weighs in just above 19lbs somewhere. Need to weigh the full bike.
    Probably what I'm most excited about are the Hope X2 Race brakes. I have SRAM XX brakes on my other bikes and Hope puts them to shame!
    Also trying out the XX1 cranks with a 34/18. The BB bolt keep coming loose but otherwise feels good.

L
    Nice ride! I'm curious to know what chain you're running with the XX1 chainring. Any issues using this crank and chainring for SS?

Members who have read this thread: 0