2012 Niner one 9 EBB creaking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2012 Niner one 9 EBB creaking

I love my single speed, but cant the EBB to stop creaking. Followed Niner's video on thier web site using the teflon tape. Still creaks. Call them they sugested using teflon paste. Still creaks. Does anyone have any suggestions. My bearings( Shimano Xt) are new. I cant figure this out and spending alot of time breaking the bottom bracket down constantly. Built this bike in January and its been creaking ever since. I thought NIner said they resolved this issue or I am the only one. Help or advice needed.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Look here http://forums.mtbr.com/niner-bikes/e...on-782945.html, too.

When I try and run my One9 with the BB up/Bolt down it creaks. The other way around and I am good to go.

SPP
    Rigid.

COTA member
    I have had good luck running EBB with the bolt up and BB down. Tensioned to just under 200#.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Did you liberally grease the bolt? I run mine dry with grease on the bolt. I bet the teflon paste with a greased bolt would give you a grin from ear to ear
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My SIR9 was creaking like crazy when I first got it but i used some plumbers joint compound (the paste style) and it has been quiet ever since. my process was as follows

clean bb shell and ebb halves with alcohol > lightly sand all surfaces with 100 grit > clean again with alcohol > apply joint compound liberally and reassemble with grease on the bolt. wipe up any excess that squirts out.

no slipping or creaking for about 100 miles now

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Im gonna try and grease that bolt, maybee thats it. thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbenny1 View Post
    I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Im gonna try and grease that bolt, maybee thats it. thanks
    I'm pretty sure somebody greased their bolt, causing them to overtorque it, and have it break.

Not sure what Niner recommends on this...

SPP
    Rigid.

Members who have read this thread: 0