2010 Rockhopper frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2010 Rockhopper frame

I mentioned that I was very interested in SS last time I was in my lbs, they are a Specialized dealer. Owners kid liked that and took me over to look at the 2010 RH 29 they had left on the floor. The verticle dropout is adjustable with two horizontal bolts, looks to be perfect for setting up a rear SS cog.

I can't find anywhere to just buy the 2010 frame or what it costs on the computer so far, guess I need to go back in and ask at the store.

If you look up the 2010 RH 29 comp disk and zoom in on the cassette you can see what I'm talking about. I couldn't get the link to open in a preview post.

Anyone set one up on this frame or know why it wouldn't be cool? Any feedback is welcome, I'm looking for ideas for an SS that I can set up with suspended or rigid forks and discs, with a clean factory type chain tension. Could keep the QR.

Thanks, Glynn

The need for singlespeed
    Well Glynn, those are called sliding vertical dropouts. Plenty of frames use those for tensioning the chain. Some creak (mine did, sometimes), some move. Some work great. Never heard of the Specialized ones giving anyone any trouble.

clown question, bro
    I just picked up a '10 Rockhopper 29er SS two weekends ago. Retail (you can still find it on the Spechy website) was $1300. I got mine NOS for $800. Havent got to take it out yet as the days I'm not at work or otherwise busy it's been raining here. Taken it around town and so far it's been pretty nice.

I'll post on up once the rubber touches some dirt though.

clown question, bro
    Finally got it out on dirt and it was a blast. There wasn't anything I didnt like about the frame - it's pretty light, feels smooth, and rides effortlessly - on smooth, rolling terrain it is as if you are floating through the woods.

I rather liked it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i have this frame set up SS (36x18) rides fantastic. its my seconds Rockhopper frame. upgraded to this one from my old 26er rockhopper that i also had set up SS with a chain tensioner. the sliding dropouts work really well. at first i would get some squeaking but it was mostly user error trying to get the chain tension right and get'n the wheel on there str8. im currently looking into getting a frame with an EBB to give that a shot and see what i like best. i was thinking about getting the Soul Cycles Dillinger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i ride a 2010 rockhopper 29'er expert that i converted to ss. it has a 32 up front and anywhere from 17 to a 21 cog on the rear depending on the terrain and length of ride. i really like the sliders. it is fast and simple to change cogs out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Rockhopper frame-ramapo-9.27.11.jpg