2010 Outcast 29er vs. SE Stout 29er + BB7s- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

2010 Outcast 29er vs. SE Stout 29er + BB7s

My budget is set right around $550, looking for a SS 29er with good components. I come from a road cycling background, so I'm not very familiar with mtb parts.

I'm a fan of bikesdirect and plan on buying from them.

I'm sure people have gone through this dilemma before, so chime in on what pushed you either way.

2010 Outcast 29er stock? OR SE Stout with BB7s? Same price at $500 from BD.

Is the Stout with BB7s going to weigh a brick-ton? I imagine it's about the same as the Outcast with the Dart3 fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You might want to check the thread titled "Dawes Deadeye". There's another option for you coming out in a few days.
    You know, just to make your decision even harder

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bahhhhh, haha. It's hard to be patient, but you're right.

However, I have a Road SS Dawes bike... and the components are kinda terrible. I'm wondering what a low-end steel mtb is going to look like. At best, it will have a chippy paint job. I had to powder-coat my dawes it was getting so chippy after only a few months of ROAD riding.

Time will tell, dangit! Throw us a bone, BDirect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SSRedwood
    However, I have a Road SS Dawes bike... and the components are kinda terrible. I'm wondering what a low-end steel mtb is going to look like.
    Based on what was said in that thread (Dawes Deadeye thread), the specs are suppose to be similar to this:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff29_1.htm

Also, there is another thread that was discussing budget brakes for a singlespeed. There are a few different hydro deals out there right now that would run you about the same as the BB7's. Hayes, Shimano's, etc. Check Jenson and Pricepoint.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well, I did it.

Did I buy the Outcast or the Stout?

NEITHER

I found a new 2008 Bianchi Sok for a killer price. It's way over my budget, but I can manage. It's got superior components and good resell value if I decide I don't like it. Also, I've always ridden Bianchi road bikes and I love their quality stuff. Reviews on this bike are very good, too.

Now I'll I have to do is wait impatiently for it to arrive and I'll be on the trail! Whoo!

mtbr member
    Nice choice. I love the look of the Bianchi's and they come well spec'd too.

Members who have read this thread: 0