2010 Kona Unit 2-9 OR 2010 Redline Monocog Flight 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

2010 Kona Unit 2-9 OR 2010 Redline Monocog Flight 29er

Hello,
    I am new to 29ers and SS, so I am posting this in the Single Speed and the 29er Forum.
    Can I get some input to help me decide? My budget is about $1020. This is a huge chunk of change for me.
    Due to budget and local availability, I have decided on one of the following options:
    '10 Redline Monocog Flight 29er - MSRP $899 (shop price is $999)
    '10 Kona Unit 2-9 - MRSP $799 (shop price is $799)

A local shop had a 19" '09 Monocog Flight to ride, but it was a bit too small. It felt nice though. The other shop doesn't have a Unit to test ride.

I decided against the Monocog 29er - MSRP $499 (shop price is $550) because I would prefer to just have decent components to begin with, and the brakes would have to go right away. I know I could get the Monocog and $470 in upgades, but I don't want to deal with it.

Intended use is muddy, wet, and snowy trails and probably some extended rocky rides. I may decide to ride SS more often than not, but I haven't done much yet. There are some rocky local trails that rigid would probably destroy me, so I have some concerns about the Unit. I'm a pretty heavy guy (235 lbs with gear and 6'2".)

1. I hear the Unit's P2 fork is unforgiving.
    2. Unit frame looks a bit weak in the HT area.
    3. Unit frame not the equivalent of the Reynold's 853 steel, probably similar to the steel on the Monocog.
    4. Earlier Unit frames were cracking.
    5. Paint on Unit chips off easily?
    6. Unit frame flexes too much?

1. Issues with the Flight are cheap headset?
    2. The Flight frame weaker? (but lighter) than the Monocog frame.

I would get whichever bike is the better value (I'm guessing that the Unit is.) Does anybody think the Flight is a better value at its MSRP than the Unit?
    When it comes down to it, I would probably purchase the Redline Monocog Flight if it were at MSRP, but its $100 over

I'll probably save $200 and just get the Kona, but people seem to love their Flights so much...
    Sorry for the lengthy post, info is appreciated!
    Also, feel free to say "quick overanalyzing and just pick a bike and buy it!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a 2008 Unit 2-9 and really like it, can't say I've riden a 2010. The Unit seems to have amble tire clearance which is really nice and easy to change to a geared bike. I had the last year before kona went to their own CroMo tubing. Can't really coment on the 2010 but in 08 I picked the unit over the flight.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm sure they are both great bikes, but I'm shooting for value. I didn't want to pay $100 over MSRP, so I think that puts the Kona at a better value. Also, the Flight may not have clearance for a Weirwolf, which is one of the things I'm wondering.
    Glad you like your Kona Unit. I haven't heard much of anything about a difference in the material, although I wonder if that was why 07 frams were cracking.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Turns out I was misquoted and the Monocog Flight is really $899.
    Because the other shop was may not be able to get a Unit before July, I am pretty sure that I will be going with a Monocog Flight.

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a 2009 Unit and I found the ridged fork to be pretty unforgiving. I put a larger volume from tire on and replaced the fork with a misfit Aluminum one this winter and it has made a different. Lighter too. Great bike though. Been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Like kaikara, I too have an '09 Unit but I built mine up from scratch. I actually chose the P2 fork for mine due to budget but also because I love how it looks. I've heard complaints about how the fork rides but I've never had any problems with it personally - in fact, I think it rides just fine (especially for $60). I think the Kona is a great riding bike but have heard nothing but good things about the Redline as well. It sounds like used may not be an option for you, but you'd probably have no trouble finding a used RL for around half of what you're planning on spending.

Though from your screen name, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Good luck, either way you won't go wrong!

Did I catch a niner+?
    Do you have the option to look at a Raleigh XXIX? I have ridden one and a buddy of mine has one. It is a real nice bike and a nice geo.

If the Kona felt small I wouldn't get it to get it. I would suggest waiting for the proper size, see if they can order in what you want.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Take a look at older Haro Mary SS. You can find '09 models at really low prices. I got mine for 455€ (620$)- online. Kona Unit, Redline monocog, Raleigh XXIX, Haro Mary SS; all they are good bikes.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by kona29er
    I'm sure they are both great bikes, but I'm shooting for value. I didn't want to pay $100 over MSRP, so I think that puts the Kona at a better value. Also, the Flight may not have clearance for a Weirwolf, which is one of the things I'm wondering.
    Glad you like your Kona Unit. I haven't heard much of anything about a difference in the material, although I wonder if that was why 07 frams were cracking.
    I have the blue Monocog Fllight and run a 2.55 Weirwolf up front and an Exiwolf in the back. Not sure if there is adequate clearance for a Weirwolf in the back (I'm at work). Good dry condition setup IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I cant speak for the flight but I can tell you that the reagular MC 29er handles my clyde ass (245 with gear) very well, in fact I love it. I have ridden it the entire time with a rigid fork, first the stock, now an ODIS and all I can say is that I might as well throw away my squishy 6er. FWIW, I picked up my MC for $175 in pristine shape and have spent a few hundred on parts (Mary bars, thomson stem/post. juicy carbons, ODIS fork, king headset/cog and alligator rotors).

Members who have read this thread: 0