2009 KHS Solo SE vs GT Peace 9er- Mtbr.com
    Drinking the Slick_Juice

2009 KHS Solo SE vs GT Peace 9er

ok ive found a new one to choose from. its either going to be a gt peace niner or a khs solo se. I can probably get the khs for 30 dollars cheaper than the peace . I just wanted to compare the quality of the two bikes. I see the khs has sliding drops with integrated chain tensioners so thats a plus for the Khs.

I dont know much about disc brakes but im thinking the ones on the gt are better. im not much of a weight weenie but I think the khs is a lighter bike. would the ride quality be better with the gt with the triple tri or with the khs design, I do get a moderate amount of air so also wondering about the durability. does the GT have better components than the KHS?

here are the specs:

GT: http://www.downcycles.com/store/2010-peace-p-1091.html

KHS: http://www.khsbicycles.com/02_solo-one-se_09.htm
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

WWYD?

I've got a solo one softail...

I've got a KHS 69er softail and it rides just great for me and I'm 225lbs with my gear. 8,000 miles so far and no issues. This frame is from '04 or '05 and was a closeout deal for $180 bucks. I like sliding dropouts versus the EBB, so plus one here for KHS.

I have tested the GT Peace and like the ride too. I know that this probably doesn't help with your choice but both are solid, IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ovaries on the Outside
    Ok, so I checked out the stats, thinking that I would gently poke fun at the tektro mechanicals on the Peace, but I've never heard of the brakes on the KHS. I like both of the bikes a lot (aesthetically) and can't recall too many disappointed owners. I guess I'd lean towards the GT because I prefer the tires and brakes to the KHS.

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Ok, so I checked out the stats, thinking that I would gently poke fun at the tektro mechanicals on the Peace, but I've never heard of the brakes on the KHS. I like both of the bikes a lot (aesthetically) and can't recall too many disappointed owners. I guess I'd lean towards the GT because I prefer the tires and brakes to the KHS.

i had those "bengal" brakes on my Soma SS. they worked ok, did what they were supposed to do, quite noisy though. replaced with hydraulic.
    IMO, both of those brakes on GT and KHS are there stock just to get you going and once pads are worn, it makes more sense to replace the whole brake set with something better.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Interesting that KHS has spec'd such a generic brake on a bike costing $869 especially since the Kona Unit is spec'd with BB7's and Kona's site lists the price of the Unit at $799.

I purchased a set of the Tektro IO disc's off E-Bay for like $20 which I think are similar to the brakes spec'd on the GT. I used them to convert my old Kona Humu to a more trail worthy bike with the help of an A2Z Disc Brake Adapter out back and a RS Tora up front. I'd say all things considered the Tektro's aren't a bad brake. They feel good, stop sure, and don't squeal. Granted I only have a set of Hayes HFX Hydros to compare them to but the Tektro's weren't the crap brakes I thought they would be either.

Like another post'r said, I'd ride the OEM brakes until the pads wear out and then upgrade unless your riding style is overkill for the factory brakes right out of the box....
    Last edited by Ratman; 10-09-2009 at 01:10 PM.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    A KHS dealer near me said he can get me a Solo SE for $670. I haven't called up Performance to ask about the Peace 9r yet.

mtbr member

If you don't mind building up your own ...

The Bike Island "no name 4130 Single speed" is a KHS Solo One SE (the geometry is identical, and pics from their website also match those of the KHS I've seen). The Frame with an RST M29 (which seems to have gotten good reviews...) is available for $350 HERE

Their ebay website has the frame and fork listed at $389 with free shipping...

It probably wouldn't be quite as cheap - but you could get it spec'd with better parts for a bit more... BB7s w/ levers & Cables: $115 @ Blue Sky, Wheelset $150 - $300 (Bike Island as well), FSA Crankset w/ Mega EXO BB - $110 (Bike Island - HERE)

With a $300 wheelset that's $875 for a nicely spec'd steel SS 29er.

Then again, I like to build my own... I know some folks want something to ride out of the box with ... just offering something else to think about.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone chuck a springy fork on their solo one 29er??

100mm or 80mm??

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    The Bike Island "no name 4130 Single speed" is a KHS Solo One SE (the geometry is identical, and pics from their website also match those of the KHS I've seen). The Frame with an RST M29 (which seems to have gotten good reviews...) is available for $350 HERE

Their ebay website has the frame and fork listed at $389 with free shipping...

It probably wouldn't be quite as cheap - but you could get it spec'd with better parts for a bit more... BB7s w/ levers & Cables: $115 @ Blue Sky, Wheelset $150 - $300 (Bike Island as well), FSA Crankset w/ Mega EXO BB - $110 (Bike Island - HERE)

With a $300 wheelset that's $875 for a nicely spec'd steel SS 29er.

Then again, I like to build my own... I know some folks want something to ride out of the box with ... just offering something else to think about.

S
    it would be nice to choose all the parts but in low on funds so ......

Mountain Lion Bait
    69'rs are the ugliest bikes on the planet.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by renderedtoast
    wut?

WWYD?
    Toasty don't playa-hate it until you try it

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I think most dirt bikes have two different wheel diameters , this makes them ride better. its not about form its about function

Members who have read this thread: 0