2008 Felt Nine Solo or Bianchi Sok SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2008 Felt Nine Solo or Bianchi Sok SS

Looking at these two used. Unfortunately I have not been able to read too much about them on here. Anyone know much or have opinions?

Both have the Reba SL fork

The Bianchi has horizontal drop outs and BB7ís

The Felt has a EBB and Juicy 5ís

tom

dying hurts.
    i rode the felt.....it handled like dogsh!t.
    haven't ridden the bianchi....but the bb7's would be a dealbreaker for me.
    i think with a different stem/bar setup, the felt would be nice.
    ....just kinda felt like a truck when turning.

mtbr member

Good job!

I have spent a lot of miles on the Felt and like it quite a bit. Sturdy, well made frame. It handled very well under my bulk (230# naked). It never seemed flexy. Great components. I never bought one, but was able to do a 'long term demo' on an 08. I liked the Felt handlebars and saddle so much I bought some at a swap meet to go on my SS.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did a test ride on that Bianchi...OMG...sweet and the geo fit me like a glove. Not a fan of EBB's with many reporting creaking/slipping.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy
    i rode the felt.....it handled like dogsh!t.
    haven't ridden the bianchi....but the bb7's would be a dealbreaker for me.
    i think with a different stem/bar setup, the felt would be nice.
    ....just kinda felt like a truck when turning.
    I have the Felt Team Nine (converted to SS with Forward Components EBB) and love the way it handles... pause..... now! i got a screaming deal on this bike that I couldn't pass up, sold my GF paragon (that I loved) and hated the way my Felt handled for a month. It took me a while to get used to the quick steering that the Felt has compared to the Paragon, but now I flippin love it!

Sweep the leg!
    I'd get a Felt over the Bianchi (but I have 2 Bianchi's already)
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    i like my bb7s so i don't understand the "dealbreaker" thought but whatever. buy new brakes down the road if it is such a problem.

dying hurts.
    juicy 5's>bb7's=dealbreaker
    it's simple math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the felt and I love it. It is my first 29er so I can not compare it to anything else but I think it handles pretty good. I thought that the rotors would be to small for the big wheels but I have been impressed so far. If you ever come to ga and can ride an XL you can take it for a ride.

mtbr member

Let the Frame Decide..

Quote Originally Posted by jwcart10
    i like my bb7s so i don't understand the "dealbreaker" thought but whatever. buy new brakes down the road if it is such a problem.
    I agree. New brakes are cheap if you pick em up used. I would go for the horizontal drops. Otherwise, you're looking at two aluminum frames which are most likely made in the same Taiwan factory.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I don't know which bike you should buy, but I don't think the ebb, or the brakes should be the main deciding factor.
    I heard all the horror stories of ebb's, but now that I have one it is silent, easy to use, and does not slip.
    I have both bb7's and Juicy 5's. The bb7's are about the easiest brakes to set up, and I like the feel. J5's are 70 grams lighter, a little stronger, a little more finicky setting up, and have closer tolerances so you might hear them rubbing a bit more in crud. We had one of the wettest race seasons ever last year, and I preferred the bb7's because brake pads seemed to last longer (I burned through a new set in one race with the J5's).
    If you like how both bikes ride equally, then use your preferences of the components to make the final decision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ended up going with the Bianchi Sok 29er. I have been tooling around on it for about a month and I must say that I am very impressed all around. I am sold on the 29er mindset and this thing handles great and it climbs great and is light.

I have upgraded the Headset to a Woodman SL, Woodman SL Seatclamp, Thomson stem and seat post, Sunline V-one bar, Ergon grips and a Surly 20T cog. I will be upgrading the brakes (BB7’s) but they are working for the time being.

It seems that I now have an expensive backup full suspension Stumpjumper.

Thanks for the input
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 Felt Nine Solo or Bianchi Sok SS-sok.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0