2007 Jamis Exile 26" vs 2008 GT Peace 26"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2007 Jamis Exile 26" vs 2008 GT Peace 26"

So I've narrowed down my search for my SS. Both these two bikes, the Jamis and GT have to be ordered therefore I can only test ride them when I order it and have it shipped to the store location. My choice was made mainly because they offer an affordable entry into steel SS. The only thing about the GT is it doesn't list the geometry so if anyone can tell me where to find it that would be very helpful. I realize that the GT has a rigid fork but with the difference in price compared to Jamis I could always get a suspension fork later on. So between these two, which one offers mo for the dough? Any input is welcomed.

1. Jamis Exile $785. http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/.../exiless.html#

2. GT Peace $499. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050
    Last edited by djembe975; 07-10-2008 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd go either way. Jamis if you want suspension and GT if you want rigid. I own two Jamis bikes (XC race and cyclocross) and love them both. Best bikes I've ever owned.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    One has an eccentric BB (GT) and one looks to have sliding drop outs (jamis).

I love my GT peace and riding rigid is the way to go if you want a real SS experience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    One has an eccentric BB (GT) and one looks to have sliding drop outs (jamis).

I love my GT peace and riding rigid is the way to go if you want a real SS experience.
    Is yours a 29 or 26? I'm trying to get the geometry specs for it.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    26"

More info on my blog

http://www.mountainbikingnewzealand....-peace-review/

Feel free to PM any question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So far all I can get is for the 29 Peace, I tried international GT sites which lists the 26"s geometry the same as the 29". Perhaps GT can look at Jamis for how to properly display information regarding past and present bike models.
    Last edited by djembe975; 07-10-2008 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Can't comment on the GT. Sure am impressed with my wife's '06 Exile that I got new on clearance from JensenUSA. Wish I'd gotten me a 19"er at the same time. Haven't needed to do a thing to hers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Can't comment on the GT. Sure am impressed with my wife's '06 Exile that I got new on clearance from JensenUSA. Wish I'd gotten me a 19"er at the same time. Haven't needed to do a thing to hers.
    Do you know how long or how many years the Jamis frame is covered under warranty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Frame and fork 'for the life of the bicycle' (whatever the hell that means!). Everything else, 12 months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Frame and fork 'for the life of the bicycle' (whatever the hell that means!). Everything else, 12 months.
    Perhaps that means when the bike needs to be put down and laid to rest although I think I'll go before it does.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Have ridden both and own a GT Peace 9r. I'd say the geometry on the 26" Peace is quite a bit different to the Peace 9r after riding them but hey I'm no bike geometry expert either. The Jamis is also a killer bike and has great suspension and rides really nice.

Sounds like you've worked out that the price difference is mainly the suspension (and maybe some difference in steels), so apart from this and the EBB (Peace) or sliding dropouts (Jamis) you should be able to come to a decision. For the cost difference I would get the Peace and try out the whole thing and like you said you can add a fork later... personally I wouldn't bother, rigid is too much fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    Have ridden both and own a GT Peace 9r. I'd say the geometry on the 26" Peace is quite a bit different to the Peace 9r after riding them but hey I'm no bike geometry expert either. The Jamis is also a killer bike and has great suspension and rides really nice.

Sounds like you've worked out that the price difference is mainly the suspension (and maybe some difference in steels), so apart from this and the EBB (Peace) or sliding dropouts (Jamis) you should be able to come to a decision. For the cost difference I would get the Peace and try out the whole thing and like you said you can add a fork later... personally I wouldn't bother, rigid is too much fun.
    So you've ridden both the 26 and 29 Peace, as far the geometry on the 26 goes how did it feel to you, because judging by the geo specs online the medium 26 Peace has a top tube of around 23.7 which seems a little on the long side did you find this to be true, but then again it also depends on how tall you are and body type. As far as the difference in cromo between the two, one is 4130 and the other, the Jamis is 631 is there a key difference between the two?

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975
    So you've ridden both the 26 and 29 Peace, as far the geometry on the 26 goes how did it feel to you, because judging by the geo specs online the medium 26 Peace has a top tube of around 23.7 which seems a little on the long side did you find this to be true, but then again it also depends on how tall you are and body type. As far as the difference in cromo between the two, one is 4130 and the other, the Jamis is 631 is there a key difference between the two?
    Make sure to read Ilostmypassword's review he lists... I just read it and he summed up the Peace really well. I found the Peace geometry better for climbing which is my barrel of fun. It's a smidge heavier from picking them up but on my 9r I have found the weight fine... don't even notice.

As far as steel some would say the Jamis is better steel and I would agree slightly as it's a little springier and lighter but only just and I wouldn't base my whole decision on it. Let's say it doesn't have a huge enough difference in feel that say something like OX True Temper Platinum (eg Salsa El Mariachi) has.

Also as far as geometry it's on the GT website... www.gtbikes.com and click on the Peace and their is a geometry link... I look under Australia, maybe that's the difference?

Members who have read this thread: 0