2006 Monocog seatpost clamp size?- Mtbr.com
    Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

2006 Monocog seatpost clamp size?

I picked up a Salsa lip lock seatpost clamp at the LBS today that says 32.0

I slipped it on and tightened up a spare 26.8mm seatpost and no dice. What size is this clamp supposed to be?

The Top Cap Guy
    Salsa clamps come in different sizes... 28.6, 30.0, 32.0, 35.0 and 36.4mm Best bet is to measure the frame - the 30.0 is becoming more popular on bikes.... maybe that's the beast you need?

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Salsa clamps come in different sizes... 28.6, 30.0, 32.0, 35.0 and 36.4mm Best bet is to measure the frame - the 30.0 is becoming more popular on bikes.... maybe that's the beast you need?

FF
    I'll measure with some calipers at work. 32 seemed so close although maybe that 2mm is all the difference I need.

Recovering couch patato
    All Surly's seem to have 27.2 seatposts and 30.0 Clamps. With the 30.0, clamp, the monocog would have slightly thicker walls, at least the seat tube. Makes sense.
    But really, 26.8 is the correct size?

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    All Surly's seem to have 27.2 seatposts and 30.0 Clamps. With the 30.0, clamp, the monocog would have slightly thicker walls, at least the seat tube. Makes sense.
    That's what redline's PDF says for the 2006 bikes. I'll grab calipers from work and measure today.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Yes. Both steel and aluminum frames use 26.8 posts. I called SBS/Redline and asked them when inquiring about 2006 frames last month. I have both a steel and an aluminum 2005 Monocog, and they are the same, 26.8 post sizes.

Steel: The steel Monocog frame uses a seat clamp that is bigger than 28.6 and a 31.8 is too loose. I tried different sizes and brands of clamps on mine. To the best of my ability measuring, the stock seat clamp that came on my steel Monocog is 29mm. The seat tube itself measures 28.6. I know Hope makes a 28.6 QR clamp, with a 28.6 bolt-on coming soon according to this:

http://www.hopetech.com/products/products_index.htm

On One makes another clamp that is 28.6/29mm.

Aluminum: The aluminum Flight Monocog uses a 31.8 post clamp according to SBS. I built up my aluminum Flight, didn't come with a clamp, and a 31.8 Salsa was very tight. Was told it was from thick frame paint. I have tried a few 31.8 clamps on it that I had laying around, and I have a 31.8 DKG on it now, which went on a bit easier and fits snug, but seems right. So I'd say that is correct on a 31.8 clamp on an aluminum Flight Monocog, just be careful chipping the excessivly thick (2005) frame paint. 2006 Flight Monocogs have an anno-like matte red finish on them, and no problem there. We measured the 2006 Flight seat clamp size as 31.8 on a stock bike in the store where I ordered the 2005 frame from.

Cheers,

Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 12-27-2005 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added more techno gibberish...
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Measurements

2006 Steel monocog seat tube clamp diameter is 30.0mm measured in several places
    2006 steel monocog seat post diameter is 26.8mm measured in several places.

Hope this helps! I'm off to exchange my 32.0 clamp

industry employee
    Flight Mono = 31.8mm clamp
    Steel Mono = 30.0mm clamp

Mike (Redline Bicycles)

Members who have read this thread: 0