2006 Marz Marathon XC suspension fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2006 Marz Marathon XC suspension fork

Tried this on the "Let's talk about shocks" forum but all I got was the sound of wind and tumbleweeds. Anyway, thought I'd try here. I have a SS that I recently removed a FOX 100 RLT and substituted a 2001 Marz 100mm Bomber with a marked improvement in performance. Has anyone here had any experience with the new Marz Marathon XC fork (one leg has coil 'n oil) either on an SS or gearie? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, J.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I havent used them, but did grab a 2005 XC on closeout at price point ... seemed like a great deal.

I'm interested in your comment on the 2001 bombers being better than the fox's .... I was thinking that maybe I should have paid more and got fox's instead of the marathons ...

-Chris

mtbr member
    I got the 2005 model and I'm really happy with it. If you read the reviews about the fork, you realize that I'm not alone.
    The 2006 XC has a new crown and sliders and in general looks much, much cooler, but... you pay twice as much for it as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen
    I havent used them, but did grab a 2005 XC on closeout at price point ... seemed like a great deal.

I'm interested in your comment on the 2001 bombers being better than the fox's .... I was thinking that maybe I should have paid more and got fox's instead of the marathons ...

-Chris
    Right now, I'm not a great fan of FOX suspension forks. Theonly two I have ever used (both on the same bike) are the F100X and the F100RLT. I live in the Phoenix area and most of the trails I ride are very rocky and LOOSE. The F100X did not perform well in this milieu and the F100RLT was not much better and in fact was less plush with resultant "skating" on loose surfaces and an overall beat-fest on the hands. FOX was best in providing a very good pedal platform which is superior to what I experience with Marz (I have an 80mm 2002 Bomber on another SS). The other uncomfortable feature with these two FOX forks is that in technical descents at slower speed---less active or complant action=less confidence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i also got a great deal on an '05 XC. i use it on my giant NRS and absolutely love it. my first rides with it were on a 5 day riding trip around the tuscon area. with some of the terrain we encountered i shiver to think how aweful it would have been had i still been riding the skarab that came on the bike.

the best feature of the XC is the lockout which locks the fork in it's most compressed length. great for climbing.

it's a heavy fork so not ideal if you're looking to build a super light SS but i think the tradeoff is worth it. the lockout is what seems to be the cause of it's weight because neither the race or SL have it and are much lighter.

mtbr member
    I have 2 of the '05's. 1 on my SS and 1 on my Blur LT. 2 thumbs up. Nice fork. The TST is awesome for SS hammering and the ETA works well, too.
    Although, for some strange reason, when I use the ETA it seems like the bike gets slower and/or heavier. Must be in my head...

mtbr member
    Like the others, I have the '05 model. I think the '06 is slightly lighter, and I'm sure performance is the same as the '05 as the damping assemblies are probably unchanged.

I think the fork is great...granted it is heavy, weighing in at around 1850-1900g. But it's got such great adjustability to it, it's very reliable (something my Fox Vanilla that lasted all of 1 week before blowing it's seals and having it's damper go belly up couldn't say), and I got my '05 for about $370, so the price is good too. If weight is a concern, go for the Marathon SL and save a couple hundred grams.

Retro Grouch

Best shock ever?

Quote Originally Posted by jennytalia
    Tried this on the "Let's talk about shocks" forum but all I got was the sound of wind and tumbleweeds. Anyway, thought I'd try here. I have a SS that I recently removed a FOX 100 RLT and substituted a 2001 Marz 100mm Bomber with a marked improvement in performance. Has anyone here had any experience with the new Marz Marathon XC fork (one leg has coil 'n oil) either on an SS or gearie? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, J.
    The 2002 Atom 100; coil on both sides and ECC. I have never ridden on a better shock. My frame was built around the shock meaning it goes from a XC climber to a free ride bomber with a flick of a switch. Everything about this shock screams best of the best; it's the Chris King headset of shocks.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    I currently use that very fork your asking about on my SS. In my humble opinion it's one of the best choices for SS riding. At 100mm you can slack you head angle a little giving a little more performance on the downhill. Climbing? The TST set up lets you dial the compression setting with a six clicker from full bore open to full closed lockout. This means that you can fine tune your compression on the fly for the trail conditions and they make a bar lever to the same (I don't have but am thinking about it.) The big bonus? ETA! If you coming up on a steep or long climb you can reach down and flip a lever, stand a pedal and your fork semi-locks in a "down" position steepening your head angle and reducing your travel to about 30mm so you still get a little fork action but can hammer the climbs without loosing any power. SWEET. This baby will always be my SS weapon of choice. The Fox's are nice and light but there is a price to pay for the weight reduction. They have a tendency to need more service. Brad if 2002 Atoms were still available I'd have one dammit. Oh and the bike feeling slower is something everyone feels, it has to do with the head angle and the shifting of balance and weight on the bike.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0