Are 2 SS in stable too limiting...???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Are 2 SS in stable too limiting...???

I have a 2008 GF Paragon and built up a rigid SS NIner for this season. So far, all I have ridden is the Niner - I now understand the SS mantra chant

In fact, I enjoy the SS Niner so much that I find that I am taking it to some trails that I would be more comfortable on with a front suspension.

The questions:

* Are any of you trading out the front forks for specific, more challenging rides or is that too much trouble (in this case, I would swap out a Niner fork with a DT Swiss sus).
    * Or, have any of you sold your geared bike and maintain two SS's: one rigid and one with a front suspension?

Thanks for any solid input!

mtbr member
    I hemmed and hawed over my first 29r, and first SS, worrying about everything ... not the least of which was what front shock? Finally, I said f'it and went fully rigid. I am so glad I did. I will ride this bike on 80~90% of my rides from here on out. If I were only riding my usual trails around here, I would more than happy with only this bike.

I am building up a lighter, geared, front squish 29r for Epic rides and trips ... which through the course of a year will make up about 10~20% of my riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Gears, suspension and small wheels are dead to me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    if your goal is to have two different bikes?
    I vote you push them as far apart as possible!!
    5 or 6" fork, fat tires, low gearing on one, and 1.9's and all rigid and carbony goodness on the other.

I've got too many bikes myself, but there's no arguing with the fact that a 19 pound carbon rigid with semi slicks is a completely different machine than a 6" fork, 2.5 tire, saint crank'd chromag or banshee...

also; easier to argue to the wife why you "need that other bike" when they are visually completely different!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    I have a rigid and suspension fork that I can switch between. The change takes maybe 15min including getting the brake lined up. Fairly painless process but I still usually end up sticking with one fork for at least a couple months at a time (my rigid fork hasn't left the bike since last summer). It's nice to have the option

I wouldn't have any problem owning to SS bikes but I would make them more distinct than just similar xc bikes with rigid and susp forks (i know you already have these two though).

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyCrash
    Gears, suspension and small wheels are dead to me
    Two rigid SS bikes in my stable. One built with nicer parts for summer and racing, one built with less nice parts for winter abuse.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the opinions guys! Either way I go, I think I am going to sell the Paragon, just feel too guilty having it hang in the garage all summer.

I may go ahead and purchase a nice fork and swap them out for the next two months. Depending on the efforts or results of that, maybe it will be time for a new frame

Apr 2007
    Why not just use the Fox fork from the Paragon to see how you like a suspension fork? Not sure how the G2 will work on a Niner, though.

Peace & Love
    there are no rules that i am aware of that govern any decision you make as relates to MTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    there are no rules that i am aware of that govern any decision you make as relates to MTB
    Discard of the new bike box somewhere your wife can not find it.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Discard of the new bike box somewhere your wife can not find it.
    doh! excellent point...now you tell me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I want to go rigid on my GF Rig w/ a niner carbon fork.

Some day down the line have the GF Rig w/ the fox f29 as a 1x9 (for friends or when i feel lazy) and then have a full rigid air9 carbon

mtbr member
    you need 7.5 single speeds. 3 rigid's, 1 steel 1 carbon 1 titanium, 2 non-rigid, a BMX, 1 full suspended, and a tricycle.
    Ride & Smile

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm too lazy to switch forks, regardless of how easy it is. I think variety is good, even if you ride one most of the time. I have a rigid monocog for 90% of my riding, a 1x5 bianchi touring bike I use on trails around town, or when I am riding with my friends who aren't very good on singletrack. An '89 rockhopper for commuting and urban dirt exploration. I'd have a suspended bike if I wasn't worried I'd grow lazy and ride it too much.

mtbr member
    I have a tricycle, and a red flyer wagon if that counts.

I thought about switching the Paragon out to a SS, but Jenkins hit it on the head - I love when the Fed Ex man brings me a new box to hide

I am sure you have done the research Node, you would not be unhappy with the Niner fork.

And Welcome back Fo.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by abp689
    I have a tricycle, and a red flyer wagon if that counts.

I thought about switching the Paragon out to a SS, but Jenkins hit it on the head - I love when the Fed Ex man brings me a new box to hide

I am sure you have done the research Node, you would not be unhappy with the Niner fork.

And Welcome back Fo.
    thanks

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by abp689
    * Or, have any of you sold your geared bike and maintain two SS's: one rigid and one with a front suspension?
    No and yes.

Kept the geared bike (3x9 fully) as a "vacation" bike but have a rigid ti SS and a steel hardtail SS (which gets the most use).

JMJ

SBT
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Node
    I want to go rigid on my GF Rig w/ a niner carbon fork.

Some day down the line have the GF Rig w/ the fox f29 as a 1x9 (for friends or when i feel lazy) and then have a full rigid air9 carbon
    Get out of my head!

But really, I'll likely keep my Rig singlespeeded and Foxed, but build up a rigid One 9 with their carbon fork.

For the purpose of this thread, they'd be paired with a fully geared, fully suspended ride.

master blaster
    not at all.
    my stable has a few ss bike is in.
    1) 26" ss ti rigid
    2) 26" ss steel hardtail
    3) 29" ss steel rigid
    4) 700c ss steel cross
    5) 650b ss steel rigid in the works.

i have 3 geared bikes
    1) extracycle 1x9 steel
    2) road bike 2x9 steel
    3) touring bike 3x9 steel

its a perfect mix up for me. but notice. all my offroad bikes are ss. street bikes are geared. keep in mind i still ride my ss bikes all around town for my commute and fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

Members who have read this thread: 0