2 less teeth = Sucks!- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

2 less teeth = Sucks!

Been running 32:18 for a year; just got a new rear wheel with 32:16. Ran it yesterday on a trail that everyone says is "great" for 2:1 - the 24HITOP course north of Tucson. Kicked my m-f-ing ass (very bad hangover did not help). The flats felt like uphills, felt like I was pedaling in quicksand. Was blown away by how much different it felt than my old gearing.

I'll get used to it? F*ck that, I'm going back to 32:18...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Been running 32:18 for a year; just got a new rear wheel with 32:16. Ran it yesterday on a trail that everyone says is "great" for 2:1 - the 24HITOP course north of Tucson. Kicked my m-f-ing ass (very bad hangover did not help). The flats felt like uphills, felt like I was pedaling in quicksand. Was blown away by how much different it felt than my old gearing.

Yea, 2 teeth on the back is one huge change.
    My Cann 1FG came with that 32:18 gear that I thought was too easy. I bought a 17T cog and used it for awhile. Went back to the 18T and it did'nt climb any better than the 17T cog.
    I am sticking with the 32:17 because I can stay atop of that gear without spinning so much and I will not even attempt the 2:1 / 32:16 gears for the very reason you have mentioned!

Got A Lust for Life...
    I started w/ a 17 and it feels great. Almost feels too easy. I thought about trying a 16 but I am not so sure after this thread. Do you think there is that big a jump from 17 to 16? What about 34-20? There has to be a thread about this elsewhere...

Good for nothin'
    Been running 32:18 for a year; just got a new rear wheel with 32:16. Ran it yesterdayWas blown away by how much different it felt than my old gearing.
    You went from 46 gear inches to 52. No wonder it hurt! For more subtle changes, alter the chainring size instead. For example, 34 x 18 gives you 49 gear inches. All 2:1 ratios yield a 52-inch gear; most people consider this the starting point, but it can be pretty stiff if the climbs are long, steep, and/or technical.

In FTF We Trust
    I've always run a 2:1 ratio on my singlespeeds (32:16 on my Kaboom, 34:17 on my Sycip Diesel). I've ridden with that ratio here in Montana (lots of way up and way down, not much flat) for the past 5 years, but after racing my first singlespeed race, I'm reconsidering. I think I'm going to go to a 18t on the back of my Sycip. I'll probably bite the bullet and go with a Boone cog since I don't see the sense in buying a cheap cog to try then buying a Boone.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

No Justice = No Peace

Do the math

Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    I started w/ a 17 and it feels great. Almost feels too easy. I thought about trying a 16 but I am not so sure after this thread. Do you think there is that big a jump from 17 to 16? What about 34-20? There has to be a thread about this elsewhere...

I ride 34-19 on my 26 inch bike, and a 17 cog on the fixed side for when I really feel like making it hurt.

My 29er is just a tad too tall with 32/20.

I live inthe East Bay, near San Francisco and the riding is hilly everywhere, but not the grueling climbs that go on for miles like Colorado, etc. I would ride 34/20 there, or even 21. My gravity enhanced physique makes up for a lot of distance on the downhills.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Devil's Advocate...

"Flats felt like uphills, felt like I was pedalling in quicksand" Hmmm. Yep, I have felt the same thing on the days after I got really loaded... and i didn't change my gearing at all!

The "very bad hangover" probably had a lot more to do with your bad experience than the noticable but hardly profound increase of 6 inches in your gear development.

JMH

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    "Flats felt like uphills, felt like I was pedalling in quicksand" Hmmm. Yep, I have felt the same thing on the days after I got really loaded... and i didn't change my gearing at all!

The "very bad hangover" probably had a lot more to do with your bad experience than the noticable but hardly profound increase of 6 inches in your gear development.

JMH
    I agree. The hangover was a setup for a bad day on the bike. Give it another try on a day when your feeling fresher, see how that goes and then decide. Better yet, stop drinking altogether for a couple months and go to a 32/15 gear. See how that works.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH

JMH
    Walt, I agree with the hangover part. I started SS with 2:1 and have since gone to 32:18. I did not notice too much of a difference. Even though I did the reverse - harder to easier instead of easier to harder, I still say that the hangover had more to do with your misery than anything else.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member

I had the same issue with a new wheel. I eventually just toughed it out b/c I'm an idiot. What don't kill you only make you stronger or somethin' like dat! I rode 36x16 for five months and then went back to my old 36x18 gearing and turned tha party out like Kool Moe Dee. I got a lot stronger and the cardio seemed to benefit too! But hey, if it ain't yo thang, then it ain't no big deal.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    ...gravity enhanced physique...
    nice one! you are always making lemonade out of lemons my friend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm either really lame or I have to disagree. I ride with some of the top sport guys and a couple of semi-pros so I don't think I;m too out of shape but a 1 tooth diff is huge to me. I went from 34-19 to 34-18 and that was a killer. I know have resistance on the flats where before I spun out quickly. I would not even consider a 2:1 gear unless it was for < 1 hour rides or flat ground/road work. Call me a wuss but there is no way I can do 2:1 and be faster that the two gears I run now. FYI I ride in SoCal Big Bear, Fontana, Sycamore Cyn, SRT, etc. I say drop 1 tooth at a time and save your knees.

Todd

Fartographer

2:1 is Gnarly

When I built up my first SS I bought into the whole 2:1 mentality. It's manly. And I since I pretty much always rode my SS by myself, I was blissfully unaware of how retarded 2:1 actually is. The I started doing the after work rides with Francis and the guys, at Skeggs. Skeggs is not really what you'd call SS-friendly. Goddamn - I'd start out like a champ. I'd kick ass. But then about 15 minutes in I'd implode. All done. That's when I discovered 2 over. It rules. I'm a *****. It's wonderful.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Fartographer

Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    It rules. I'm a *****. It's wonderful.
    Damn stars. That was the short version of the word pusilanimous. Look it up. It's perfectly legit anglais.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    That's when I discovered 2 over. It rules. I'm a *****. It's wonderful.
    Whady ya mean "2 over"?

I just bought a MUSS and it is 2:1 and an @$$ kicker (its kicked mine numerous times). It is 32/16. Ya think I orta try 32/18?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by N4BBQ
    Whady ya mean "2 over"?

I just bought a MUSS and it is 2:1 and an @$$ kicker (its kicked mine numerous times). It is 32/16. Ya think I orta try 32/18?

Thanks...
    N4BBQ, I think you just answered your own question there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddW
    N4BBQ, I think you just answered your own question there.
    Ahh so!!

I will order one and try it. The MUSS uses those Shimano BMX sprockets and I think they are like $5 each.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ah yes, freewheels are nice and cheap until you get into somethiing like the White Ind. ( $80 http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...91&cat=0&page= ). I would suggest using an ACS Claw freewheel from the BMX dept of your LBS or check out http://www.danscomp.com/ until you get your favorite ratio before considering a White ENO. I'm starting to get a collection of Chris King Stainless cogs built up but even that's pretty bad at $42 a wack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Wink Back on topic

Riding with a hangover.

- Hell, I rode my same ol' ratio last night after a night of boozin' with a few
    hours of sleep sprinkled in for good measure and even that was tuff!!!
    Last edited by DMFT; 01-26-2006 at 08:22 AM. Reason: idunno

mtbr member
    May 2005

Idea! Just a thought??

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Riding with a hangover.

- Hell, I rode my same ol' ratio last night after a night of boozin' with a few
    hours of sleep sprinkled in for good measure and even that was tuff!!!
    Instead of dropping 1 gear, try dropping 1 beer!
    Then go back out and see if that works out alittle better for ya!.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast1000
    Instead of dropping 1 gear, try dropping 1 beer!
    Then go back out and see if that works out alittle better for ya!.
    I never said I was changing my gearing, the O.P was inquiring and I only made a simple observation (as did others) about riding with a hangover.

Drop a beer??!!?? Blasphemy!! That's alcohol abuse!!

I am Walt

No hangover test...

OK, went out last night with no hangover and 2:1 still sucked. Didn't feel like dying; however, like I did on Saturday, but my legs were worked. And my knees were sore for the first time ever SS-ing. I kept thinking, "I can't switch back to 32:18 soon enough, this sucks, this isn't any fun, blah, blah, blah..." Or "waaa, waaa, waaa..."

So I'm going back to 32:18, though I may also try 34:18 for sh*ts and giggles...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well

I have done the Old Pueblo twice on a 4 man team and ran 32/18 both events. I might try a 17 this year...I think i am stronger...

Spin the size you like....

Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

leave it

leave the 2:1 a while longer. it will make you stronger, you'll like that. then you might not even go back.

i appreciate running 2:1 most while racing. makes passing on the flats a heck of a lot easier!

mtbr member
    I guess gearing really depends on where you ride. I have rolling terrain here, short steep hills mostly with no climbs more than 30 seconds long. I was running 38-16 until recently when I changed to 38-18. Now I feel as if I am spun out most of the time. I think the right gearing for me is 38-17
    What I'm getting at is ride what feels right for you and forget about the 2-1 business.

mtbr member

Da winna!

SantaCruzer hit it right on the head... You generally need different rear cogs for different riding locations. For local rides here in SacTown, 32/17 works well. Going up the hill to say Auburn, 32/18 makes for a much more fun ride. Go up to Tahoe, and being a flatlander, 32/20 is the ticket.

Adding a bench vise and an assortment of rear cogs is the best way, IMHO, to be able to enjoy the SS anywhere!

I am Walt

Hmm...getting better...

Had my 3rd and 4th rides running 2:1 on Sat. and Sun, including a long killer climb on Sat. Felt much better. Not stuck in the mud on the flats. Fun again. Light at the end of the tunnnel. May keep 32:16. Some sleep and no massive hangover does help, also.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

16 to 18 on my MUSS

I went from a 16 to an 18 on my MUSS for a few days and found that I like the 16 much better. On climbs, I was able to stay in the saddle longer with the 18, but not that much longer and when I got off the saddle, the gearing with the 18 was just way too low and I was spinning a lot.

Long live the 16!

Now I'm thinking about a 34 in the front....

Members who have read this thread: 0