2.25" or 2.4" for the SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2.25" or 2.4" for the SS?

I have 2 MTBs, a FS Niner and a SS.

I have 2 pair of tires, 2.25" Ardent and 2.4" chunky monkeys; both sets are brand new, only a few rides each.

Had the 2.4's on the SS.

Did a gravel grinder the other day (won the SS category) but put the 2.25's on the SS for lower rolling resistance. Now I am wondering which tires I should keep on the SS.

Is it better to have a bigger tire for more cushion or is it better to have a narrower tire for more speed. The trails here are rocky and ledgy. Just interested in everyone's opinions.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    You got the Ardents on now, just ride them for a bit and see how you do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sounds like you already have your winning combination; I would stick with it. Not to get off subject but what gear ratio did you win the grinder with?

nothing to see here
    I'd run a Chunky Monkey on the front and a reversed Ardent on the rear for normal riding. Race would be Ardents front and rear. I found the On-One Smorgasbord to be ok on the rear also, but it's a little sensitive to pressure adjustments while trying to maximise climbing grip and minimise squirm. All tubeless.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

local trails rider
    I find that fat tires improve my confidence on trails. Especially fat front tires. On smooth surfaces, less fat is better.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have 2.4 conti x-Kings front and rear on my SIR9. I used to run 2.2 front and rear. I really don't notice a ton of rolling resistance difference, but I definitely notice a lot more comfort and confidence when it gets rocky (which is often here in eastern PA). I'd keep the fat tires on for max fun in the rough stuff.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'd go 2.4 up front and 2.25 on the rear. And when I say "I'd do that .." that's actually what I run, except both ardents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm running ardent 2.4 front and high roller 2.3 rear on rigid superfly ss. I can run lower pressure with the fatter tire, protect the rim, have better traction, smoother ride - all of which equal more fun.

Wanna ride bikes?
    i think your setup, which nobody has asked about, is extremely relevant. is your SS rigid? how wide are your rims?

on my rigid SS, i prefer 2.4, 2.35 f/r on stans flow rims. on my hardtail i have 2.4, 2.25 f/r.

that being said. i will trade rolling resistance for grip in any circumstance. (I'm also 210 lbs so i require more grip than the 150 lb lightweights) so i prefer being sure footed, and don't care as much about rolling resistance. I don't want heavy wheels/tires but i feel i'm a strong enough rider that i can afford to trade rolling resistance for grip.

it all depends on your priorities.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm running Schwalbe Nobby Nic SS 2.35 front and Adrent EXO TR 2.25 on the rear. So far I'm liking the combo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by J.BullFrog View Post
    Sounds like you already have your winning combination; I would stick with it. Not to get off subject but what gear ratio did you win the grinder with?
    32:16

Normally I ride 32:20 for the technical stuff here, but I am warming up to 32:16 for that as well.

And next year I think 32:14 on the grinder will be better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29 View Post
    i think your setup, which nobody has asked about, is extremely relevant. is your SS rigid? how wide are your rims?

on my rigid SS, i prefer 2.4, 2.35 f/r on stans flow rims. on my hardtail i have 2.4, 2.25 f/r.

that being said. i will trade rolling resistance for grip in any circumstance. (I'm also 210 lbs so i require more grip than the 150 lb lightweights) so i prefer being sure footed, and don't care as much about rolling resistance. I don't want heavy wheels/tires but i feel i'm a strong enough rider that i can afford to trade rolling resistance for grip.

it all depends on your priorities.
    It's a Specialized Crave SL and the rims suck, can't get anything to stick tubeless so I ended up running with tubes.

I have a RockShox suspension fork on the front, gotta have that if you live in Austin and are 50 years old. It's rocky here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds like most are recommending a fatter tire in the front, so I might as well put the chunky monkeys back on. The ardents are really tubeless tires so I will put those on my niner which can run tubeless with no problem.

I hate three dimensional problems.