1x9 To Singlespeed. I need to be convinced.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1x9 To Singlespeed. I need to be convinced.

I ran 3x9 (sucked) 2x9 (better) currently running 1x9 it's great. 32T 11-32. I really want to try
    singlespeed, right now I'm trying to stay in one gear to try it out 32/13. I don't know if this is a good SS ratio. Should I be running a 34T instead? What do you do for climbs? Push?
    Or do you really get that much stronger after a while. All I really need to know right now is what is good ratio. And is it better to run a 34 or a 32T. Much of my riding is XC, Urban commute with some climbing. Thanks

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    Throwing in urban commute will mess the ratio up for the trails...34x18 is my favorite gear, but that would be painfully slow for commuting. Maybe 34x16 would be a good compromise for you. That would be a tough gear for climbs, but you will get stronger and change how you climb. If you have a bike made for gears you may end up needing a tensioner anyway, I might suggest 1x3 or 1x4 using 8 speed cogs and chain to beef things up and keep chain line closer to ideal, it would definately help changing from city to trail.

Happy trails

i started with the 19t...

before i converted my bike,i rode a few times in 1 gear without shifting.5th gear was a 19t.i rode that for awhile before taking the plunge.sounds like you may to try a couple other gear combos and decide from there.the 32 on the front is just fine.
    Aaron

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Had a bike that i used for both SS offroad and commuting. Used the middle ring and 1 cog inthe back for SS, and mounted a big ring and front shifter for the commute. Worked like a charm. Have to have a derailler to take up slack in the chain, but other than that

So, I ran a 2 x 1

CB2
    Jam Econo
    32 x 13 on singletrack would kill me!
    I'd start closer to 2 to 1 and go either harder or easier depending on how it goes.

mtbr member
    Sorry, but if you NEED to be convinced, then it probably will not work.

Old School Steel!
    In NYC, I use a Paul Melvin with 2 Chainrings on the front and manually switched from a 34 to 48. This seemed to be a good compromise.
    Indy Fab Rigid SS & Nagasawa Keirin

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I run 42/18 on my MTB, but the trails I get to ride on are nearly dead flat, and this is a GREAT combination for riding around town, which is what I mostly do. I think if you ride the same bike on dirt and around town, a flip flop hub would be perfect because you could run two different sized cogs (although, would you have enough chain to play with?).
    Waterford 1200 road bike
    Kona Kilauea SS conversion
    Fort CC.Onix singlespeed
    Surly 1x1 singlespeed

mtbr member

Consider This Option

Going to a single speed is supposed to be simple. It's more about getting into the right state of mind than coming up with a technical justification. Just use this as an excuse to get another bike, properly set up as a single speed. I started off with a 32/18 set-up, switched it to a 32/24, got better, then went to 32/21. After a couple of months, I changed that to 32/18 for the coastal hill in San Diego. Yes its a pain at times when climbing and I wouldn't use it for commuting, but its great for exercise in the evenings and blasting around relatively smooth single track on the weekends. You just need to understand the limitations of a single speed and don't put yourself into a situation where you will get frustrated by them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ok, started out using the SS as a 2x1. Then said screw it and now:

SS specific UNIT.

SS specific ROADIE SCHWINN.

Wheeeeeeeeeee

My squishy is getting less and less usage.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonracerrichie
    Throwing in urban commute will mess the ratio up for the trails...
    +1 on that.

Not many people here are going to waste their time "convincing" you, because to be honest nobody really gives a sh1t whether your ride SS or not.

The thing is though, no one's going to be able to tell you what gear ratio is best for you for the trails, because no one knows the terrain you ride -- and it makes a *huge* difference. I would ride your 1x9 for a few weeks experimenting with gears and choose a ratio you like. Calculate the gear-inches and find a gear combo that's close. If you wind-up not liking the ratio, pick up another cog.

-pete

Cars Are Evil
    I'm running 36x18 on a 29er. Good for commuting, fair for off-road. Seems like a good place to start.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I am running a 32:16 on a Trek 7000 with a front suspension and this is working really well on the rolling XC trails and I can handle almost all the singletrack I did when we had gears to play with.

It's been twice the workout and three times as much fun as when I rode the bike as a gearie although she isn't built for the commute anymore.

It's a good thing that unlike women, my bikes don't get jealous when you ride another bike, or bikes.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0