1x9 setup is slower than my SS setup!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm 1x9 setup is slower than my SS setup!

So I decided to try some gear on my Implant because afterall it is meant to have them and I've ran it SS since I got it in February.

I picked up a sweet setup from FoShizzle, Paul shifters, Dura-ace bar con shifters, Dura-ace Rear Mech using a new SRAM PG-990 Cassette that I had in my spares box. Everything works better than any gears I've ever had/ridden.

However on the same local loop I do most days my average speed is down and it takes me about 30 secs to 1 min longer to do!!!

So despite being able to go faster on the flats and downhills I am officially faster on SS! Weird but I kind of thought it would be this way...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't tell Salmonious - he will argue the point for days.

mtbr member
    LOL Oh no what have I started!?

local trails rider
    I suppose having the possibility to shift down gives you an opportunity to make the climbs easy on yourself, kind of giving up. On SS you need to push until you bust, possibly getting to the top faster, or not at all...

E !

same thing here

A few weeks back i put on a rear derailer on my chameleon. I did it to gear for the flats and just cuz i had some extra time. It seems so sluggish and well lagging lately. I have ridden my pre-millenium rockhopper conversion more now. i think the gears will be coming off shortly.

Recovering couch patato
    If you're slower with gears, you need to learn how to shift. Sounds silly, but it's true, shifting is much more than shifting up or down when the trail seems to ask for it.
    SS often shows you the fastest way up a hill or through a twisty singletrack. Pick that same gear when you hit that, and ride like you would the singlespeed. When you hit a downhill or long flat, get your speed up and over that of spinning out the SS gear, shift up when you do.
    Sections where you'd walk the SS, shift smartly to be able to stay in the seat, but get up the hill faster, or tire less.

I've noticed with fast riders, I need to get into SS mode to be able to keep up when the tarrain is up-and-down. I work from there, and try to find extra speed on top of that.

In my often flat and fast-ish nation xc racing, 1x9 wins all the time. No way I can hold on the wheel at 25mph with the SS after just having gone though a tough little climb, legs totally wasted. Or make up the difference by SS'ing my way back to them. With many singletrack sections and a dense starting field, not losing places anywhere it key.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hmm interesting. Can't imagine the weight of gears could slow u down that much. You must not be riding as hard on the geared.
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Try something like a 1 by 3 and shift a lot less. Like a 34 with a 28, 18, 11. Will only weigh a little less but will force you to ride like a single speed but offer a nice 34 11 for the flats and a 34/28 for the part you used to walk.

banned
    You are a creature that prefers the path of least resistence. You give me a sweet little granny to gran with, and I will be grannin'. You pop a 44 up front with something ridiculous in the rear, and I just hammer it out as easily as I possibly can even if that means popping my eyeballs out of my head. You just have to do what has to be done. If you have options, the path opens up in choices and more than likely, the choice that leads to the path of least resisence is the one you take.... to the tune of 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Gran gran, how I love ol gran... I just havn't been to visit in such a long, long time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So it seems riding geared takes more discipline to utilize the fastest gear combo versus the easiest.
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i recently built my old fs back up into a 9 speed and its great i mostley ride an 18 32 ss i dont clock myself but on the geard fs bike im slower on the climbs due to that laziness ahem i mean path of least resistance thing however i can go farther with less fatigue(obviously the gears) so than yesterday i put a 16 tooth, and new 959 pedals on the ss and it was fantastic, faster and smoother than before and a great new burn on the leg muscles and i ended up riding closly behind this very cute asian girl and thats always a nice way to enjoy a grueling or not so grueling climb by the way im just yakin here i love riding a good bike on a good trail and now im gonna go get a good beer

mtbr member
    Set it up so your lowest gear ratio is what you usually ride on your single speed.

You'll go faster
    "I'm not going to change the game. I'm gonna ruin it." -D.I.
    DrivenIndustries.Net

Members who have read this thread: 0