1x9 is the new SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1x9 is the new SS

was out for a ride yesterday afternoon and saw 3 or 4 big groups. to my surprise the normally ss equipped riders were all on bikes with a 1x9 drivetrain. just hit me a few minutes ago, all because geoff kabush and adam craig. maybe they need to get on a ss bike and win a national championship.

maybe we all need to get bikes with a 1x9 drivetrain now. just a thought.
    Ride & Smile

aka baycat
    And drop bars!

on second thought no f-ing way. Been jonesing to try a 1x9 setup on my other hardtail but then I miss the granny gear on some stupid steep climbs. At least on my singlespeed I have the excuse to walk.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Well I tried it out of what I thought was necessity.

I built up my Voodoo Canzo 29 er as a 1 x 9 after being ss only for 6+ hrs. I never shifted and hated it. There were 8 too many gears.

So, I converted it to ss and now all is right in the world. I'm much much happier.

To each his own. I do however think that a lot of people with 3 x 9 drivetrains will try it and realize they don't need all those gears.

mtbr member
    maybe we all need to get bikes with a 1x9 drivetrain now. just a thought.
    A 1X9 still doesn't solve all the chain slapping, derailleur adjusting, and hanger breaking. I'll pass
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

master blaster
    ss or nothing. my stable is almost ss only. just converted another steed today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

blame me for missed rides
    1x9? i think it's winter pounds.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    All the cool kids go 1 x 8. ...better drivetrain....still not SS. So NO! .. It's not the the new SS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Its funny, I've raced single speed for the last three years, but this year decided to go with gears just for something different. At the first race there were two more guys who'd been in the SS class with me for years, and all three of us were on 1x9's.

No it doesn't eliminate chain slap, but its not as bad as with a triple. There is still some of that direct drive feeling of a SS though its not the same. Also the shifting is easier, its just one harder or one easier, not front, or back, am I crossed?, chain suck....

Its all good

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've got a couple Singlespeeds and one geared mtb. I very rarely ride the geared bike that's set up 1x9. I pick it up once in a while out of guilt because I feel bad that I ever ride, such a nice bike. My geared bike is a Niner Air9 and one of my singles is a Niner One9. they're set up nearly the same, so I'm really just comparing the drivetrain configuration or 1x9 to single... Everytime I ride the 1x9 I think... I really dont like this at all. I just have more fun on my single. simple as that.

And to answer the question... No. 1x9 is not the new SS. both by definition and in practice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you want fast by yourself as well as climbing with 70 pound trailer?
    you go gears.
    that doesn't suit your ss sensibilities?
    never change your weight or load requirements.

I don't mind ss'ing it along, but your bike at 20 pounds and the same bike +70pounds (trailer/kid-gear/kid) is NOT rideable over the same terrain with the same gear ratio, or even close.
    can't say if others are doing it for the same reason I did, but that's my answer!

don't like my 1x9'd ride?! peep the trailer hitch and bite me fanboy.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    There is still some of that direct drive feeling of a SS though its not the same. :
    direct drive feeling as SS? no sir, a 1x9 is no different from 3x9 no matter how you feel it. unless, of course, your chain is rubbing on the front derailleur.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Correction: 1x9s are the new SS failures.

bicycle dreamer
    Ran 1x9 for 2 years and liked it a lot.

Running the same bike as a SS right now ... and it's better than I could've ever dreamed.

Your trails may vary.

/southern Wisconsin
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    direct drive feeling as SS? no sir, a 1x9 is no different from 3x9 no matter how you feel it. unless, of course, your chain is rubbing on the front derailleur.
    I said "some". Running one ring and a short cage derailleur is tighter than a normal 3x combo but not as much as a SS. Looks like i pissed of some SS zealots, mmm, time to go over to the 29'er forum and find some more absolute opinions

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    all because geoff kabush and adam craig.
    I really don't think what Geoff and Adam ride plays a monumental role in what the general population rides.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just put the GearPlug2 on my Jabberwocky and am running 1x9, I'm not so sure I like it though. I get tired of spinning out on 34/18 around town & riding with my kids but dont want to go any bigger because I like the gearing on the trails.

I guess I just need to learn to slow down and enjoy the ride

Out spokin'
    Have both. Both are good. Plus some others.

Why bash what you don't ride? It's all bikes. It's all good.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Have both. Both are good. Plus some others.

Why bash what you don't ride? It's all bikes. It's all good.

--Sparty
    Quoted for truth.

I mainly keep the geared bike around for recovery rides and pub runs, but being rigid it makes the trails different than my SS.

If you like riding bikes you'll find a reason to enjoy the pros and cons of each bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    And drop bars!

on second thought no f-ing way. Been jonesing to try a 1x9 setup on my other hardtail but then I miss the granny gear on some stupid steep climbs. At least on my singlespeed I have the excuse to walk.
    BUWHWHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Members who have read this thread: 0