1x8 questions... correct forum?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

1x8 questions... correct forum?

If this should go elsewhere, let me know.

I'm converting my Cannondale M300 to either a 1x1 or 1x8. I want to start with a 1x8... I think. I'm just looking for a urban bike to ride with the kids on paved paths and dirt access roads (no real trail riding).

I found a used Cannondale M300 for next to nothing. The frame is nice (CAAD2 with chromo fork) and have a ton of parts to fix it up -- XTR/220 wheelset, 747 11-30 cass, SRAM 7.0 DR, 9.0 twistshift, AVID SD 2.o levers/brakes, Ritchey 24-34-44 crankset.

Questions -- do I really need a bashguard and chain stop or can I just tighten the chain a bit? I was even thinking of dropping a few rear cogs to keep the chain tighter and having a 1x5. I live in a hill area near a river so I don't want to simplify the bike to the point it doesn't function as well -- SS may be too far.

I rode it yesterday and the middle ring could be larger for flat dirt roads. What is the largest middle ring you can get (reasonably priced), especially if I need a bashguard (also reasonably priced) and where should I look (U.S.)? ...I'm not worried about clearance. My MTB's 44t rings still look good and the M300 won't see any logs.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    really isnt the appropriate section - try drivetrain.

but to answer some of your questions - if you're running geared, changing the chain length isn't going to change the tension, thats controlled by your derailluer. shorter cage will have better tension than a long cage.

also, going 1x5 isn't going to have an affect on chain tension either.

you will likely need to run some type of chain guide or other retention device.

i run 1x9 and just run a bashguard and have no problems with dropping the chain, however, most find that they need at least something like a chain watcher to keep from dropping inside.

for the middle ring, the largest size would depend mostly on the clearance from your chain stays. for most applications this is probably going to restrict you to a 36T or 38T - you probably wouldn't want to go much larger if you have hills. i run a 36T chain ring and a 11-26 cassette and most people think i'm nuts.

btw, if you need gears, 1x9 is the bees knees. however, despite the hills in my area, my next bike is going to be a SS (with a hanger in case i wuss out) 29er. SS makes you climb like a monster.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the response. Good to hear its working for you.

My thinking with a shorter chain is to pull more on the hanger, but perhaps the tension doesn't increase as hanger is pulled more (basic spring physics) -- just a thought -- and again the thinking behind a 1x5 (shorter chain + straighter chainline)... I'm just trying to keep it simple, but want the chain to stay on.

Good point on the chainstay clearance. I put a set of road tires on it and took the bike out for a 10 mile ride. The entire time I stayed in the big ring (44t), except on a couple climbs (chainline was looking ugly). Like I said, this is for paved trails and dirt roads -- really just a casual street shoes/cargo shorts cruiser with friends/family.

Members who have read this thread: 0