1x4 on Singlespeed CK Hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1x4 on Singlespeed CK Hub

Heres a pic of my singlespeed to 1x4 conversion on a CK singlespeed hub.. Used a SRAM 980 cassette 14,16,18,21 x 32 XTR. XO Twist 6-9 and machined the bridge on an XO deraileuer where the limit hits down about 1/8 of an inch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1x4 on Singlespeed CK Hub-1x4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I want one of those! How is the shifting? What is the xo 6-9?

mtbr member
    XO twist grip is for nine speed, its numbered 1 to 9 so my low gear starts at 6.. Its shifting is flawless.. All you need is Sram 980 cassette, SRAM XO short cage and SRAM XO twist shifter..

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    So your easiest gear is 32x21?

How are you preventing the individual cogs from badly gouging the King freehub body?

LP

mtbr member
    32x21 is the easiest. The 4 piece cassette fits on just like a regular cassette. The King free hub body has splines like a cassette free hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    seems cool, but why would you not just put all nine on? chain line? the weight is hardly different. You just like being different? not pickin on it.. just curious. it is kinda cool.... meh.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would start the shifting at 1 on the shifter. That way you can never accidentaly shift into your wheel (if the limit screw would fall out or fail)

Nice solution.

You can machine an M770 spider down so you can fit 6 gears on the CK hub. See Jeff Jones.

mtbr member
    How did you make the carrier wide enough @ the key to fit on the king FH? File? I've been thinking about a 1x3 to 1x6 set up on my kings. If I can DIY it that would be cool. I wouldn't mind a 1x3 with a wide range, just don't want to tax the RD too much. Any pix of the mod'd cassette, specifically the keyset & splines on FH body would be awesome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    seems cool, but why would you not just put all nine on? chain line? the weight is hardly different. You just like being different? not pickin on it.. just curious. it is kinda cool.... meh.
    He converted a single speed to accommodate multiple gears. The freehub body on a SS hub will not accept 9 gears, but when the cassette is modified can take up to 7 cogs depending on freehub body & cassette modification. The benefit is that a SS rear wheel is near dishless making it a stronger wheel, significantly more important with 29er's IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    So your easiest gear is 32x21?

How are you preventing the individual cogs from badly gouging the King freehub body?

LP

@ egordon: what lanpope means is that the CK ss freehub body is aluminium, really soft, and alu. freehub bodies tend to gouge up something fierce with the regular thin steel cogs.
    most people (including CK themselves) suggest/demand what're called "wide-base" cogs.
    steel freehub bodies are usually ok with the thinner stamped steel cogs, but CK's are aluminium... so it's something you'd want to keep an eye on.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by EGORDON71
    All you need is Sram 980 cassette, SRAM XO short cage and SRAM XO twist shifter..
    and a disposable income, apparently. though i guess if you're running a king wheelset, whats another couple hundred bucks? cool set up, otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by DiDaDunlop
    You can machine an M770 spider down so you can fit 6 gears on the CK hub. See Jeff Jones.
    yep, and attached are (crappy) pics I took of mine

should also be noted that to the best of my understanding, as done MANY times and recommended to me by Jeff Jones, Shimano NON shadow rear der are the best way to go (i.e., most easily setup compared to SRAM and/or shimano shadow)

does require maching regarding "length" of carrier as well as inside as you can see, in order to fit the King SS rear hub (which is why i had the expert do it for me)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1x4 on Singlespeed CK Hub-pic-0253.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0