1x1 disk brake question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

1x1 disk brake question

I just built up a 1x1 this weekend and I am having trouble with the brake setup. I run avid bb7s with 185 mm rotors. I cant get good clearance between the rotor and caliper body (outside of gap on rear caliper almost rubs). Does anyone have any suggestions for getting more clearance?

mechmann_mtb
    i recently set up a set of BB7's on my wife's 1X1 and they came out fine.

play around with the screws and where you have the cable tension set to.

the way i did hers was to set the inside pad (dial on back of brake, adjust till the pad is resting on the disc, then back off a couple of clicks), then loosen the screws, pull the brakes, tighten the screws, then adjust the location of the cable nuetral position, and i may have changed the outside pad adjuster to make sure the lever pull was correct after doing all of that.

i am no mechanical brake expert, but they seemed to go together pretty easily for me.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbymojo
    I just built up a 1x1 this weekend and I am having trouble with the brake setup. I run avid bb7s with 185 mm rotors. I cant get good clearance between the rotor and caliper body (outside of gap on rear caliper almost rubs). Does anyone have any suggestions for getting more clearance?
    Not sure this is what you mean but I had to run some spacers on mine to give me proper clearance. Put the spacers between the caliper and the mount. You may also need to get some shorter bolts so that the ends of the bolts do not rub against the rotors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Pretty sure mine were 160mm, so maybe it's just the difference in size makes it more difficult? Not sure if that should cause a problem or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ended up grinding down the mounting brackets front and rear to get enough clearance, that seemed to work.

Members who have read this thread: 0