1x1 29er pics (Tire Clearance)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1x1 29er pics (Tire Clearance)

just a few pics of my 1x1 29" setup. for me it works better than a KM, with the shorter top tube and all . plus the 12" high bottom bracket is lots better for rock clearance.

Last edited by the locust; 01-26-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cheers, locust. What gear ratio are you using (as this affects how far back you set the wheel)? Also, what fork is that how do the dimensions measure up against the Surly 1x1 fork (particularly axle-to-crown)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Cheers, locust. What gear ratio are you using (as this affects how far back you set the wheel)? Also, what fork is that how do the dimensions measure up against the Surly 1x1 fork (particularly axle-to-crown)?
    im running 34 x 19 and the dimensions are exactly the same as a 1x1 fork.

What's the Hurry?
    How tight is it around the chainstays?
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cheers, locust. Good stuff, great bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherWingnut
    How tight is it around the chainstays?
    lots of clearance there, like 1/2" on either side probably more than some production 29ers.

BTW i lied on the gearing im actually running 34x18 but 34x19 fits as well, i just checked.

Boe
    http://boe.fixed.se
    Any toe overlap?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boe
    Any toe overlap?
    nope, i have 3/4" but i wear a size 9 shoe so YMMV.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

who makes the fork?

wheredja get it? how much? it looks like a real clean setup to me. do you feel like you're way up in the air, in danger of endos?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    wheredja get it? how much? it looks like a real clean setup to me. do you feel like you're way up in the air, in danger of endos?
    waltworks made the fork, i love it $210 or so i beleve. it took 1-2 rides to get used to the height chage but now i dont even notice it. infact i go between 2.7 x 26" DH tires and the 29" wheelset depending on conditions, i think its really the best of both worlds.

mtbr member

KM vs. 1x1

Quote Originally Posted by the locust
    waltworks made the fork, i love it $210 or so i beleve. it took 1-2 rides to get used to the height chage but now i dont even notice it. infact i go between 2.7 x 26" DH tires and the 29" wheelset depending on conditions, i think its really the best of both worlds.
    Locust, I'm thinking about trading in my KM for a 1x1 29er. Do you think I'll regret it? The KM is not as maneuverable as I would like it to be. Plus I like the idea of switching between a 26" Ryno Light wheel set with up to 3" tires and a light weight 29" wheel set for WORS races.

mtbr member
    i dont know if you'll regret it, but i can say i would'nt ever think about buying a KM, the only thing i would ever do is upgrade to a custom frame. i love the freedom to run 26" fat tires for snow and then switch to skinny 29" race tires for race day.

Recovering couch patato
    Englehart, as you'd be riding rigid anyway, consider getting another fork to alter the KM's handling.
    Wouldn't the 26x3 work in the KM anyway? And you'll always have the canti option too.

Especially in smaller sizes 29"er are hard to make really nimble, this also goes for the KM. If it fits you however, a custom fork with more offset could really turn handling around. Just an On-On Inbred 29" fork could change handling enough for you to be happy, without altering the rest of the bike much (2mm taller fork, but 4mm more offset which goes a long way already for handling).
    If you are on an S size KM and want the max, go for a custom Walt fork, and let him come up with a spec to really boost your KM. 50mm offset forks are not unique! Jones uses 63mm of offset, and my fine handling townie has ~80mm.

Hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the locust
    just a few pics of my 1x1 29" setup. for me it works better than a KM, with the shorter top tube and all . plus the 12" high bottom bracket is lots better for rock clearance.
    What size is the frame, and what size tire did you fit on the rear? The bike looks killer.

AKA jefftron3000

sweet ride!

Cool setup. I like the idea of being able to use different wheels for different rides. I recognize those brakes as Avid mechanicals - did you use the road or MTB models? What levers are those? V brake compatible or regular? How do they feel? What is your impression of the Midge bars?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Brake boss plug?

What did you use to fill the brake boss plug?

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Has anyone tried this on a 26" Monocog?

mtbr member
    Very sharp and clean looking - what size is that frame??

Sofa King We Todd Did
    If anyone else is interested in turning his/her Surly 1x1 into a 29er, I thought I'd share that while it can be done with a 1x1 frame and fork, you can get much better clearance in the front with a Surly Instigator fork without throwing the bike handling off too much. After many months of trying make do with a 1x1 fork (tire clearance was terrible - while there was no tire rub, mud had the worst time working itself between the knobs and the crown), I was able try a Surly Instigator fork with the setup (eternal thanks to aka brad!).

I had previously tried going from a 1x1 fork to a Karate Monkey fork and that proved to be disastrous in terms of handling. However, going to an Instigator fork had very different results. The extra inch of fork length helped with clearance tremendously (absolutely zero mud clogging under the arch), and handling wasn't too adversely affected. Steering while standing was completely manageable (unlike with the KM fork which kept wanting to flop to either side). Climbing itself was OK (admittedly, I rode a bit poorly that day - marginally tougher gear ratio plus having not had a proper ride in over a month).

So there. Doable with a Surly Instigator fork. Thanks again to aka brad for hooking me up. Cheers.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    If anyone else is interested in turning his/her Surly 1x1 into a 29er, I thought I'd share that while it can be done with a 1x1 frame and fork, you can get much better clearance in the front with a Surly Instigator fork without throwing the bike handling off too much. After many months of trying make do with a 1x1 fork (tire clearance was terrible - while there was no tire rub, mud had the worst time working itself between the knobs and the crown), I was able try a Surly Instigator fork with the setup (eternal thanks to aka brad!).

I had previously tried going from a 1x1 fork to a Karate Monkey fork and that proved to be disastrous in terms of handling. However, going to an Instigator fork had very different results. The extra inch of fork length helped with clearance tremendously (absolutely zero mud clogging under the arch), and handling wasn't too adversely affected. Steering while standing was completely manageable (unlike with the KM fork which kept wanting to flop to either side). Climbing itself was OK (admittedly, I rode a bit poorly that day - marginally tougher gear ratio plus having not had a proper ride in over a month).

So there. Doable with a Surly Instigator fork. Thanks again to aka brad for hooking me up. Cheers.
    Spin,

What size frame is that?

Thanks.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Sofa King We Todd Did
    That's a 16, mate.

mtbr member
    Spinwheelz! That looks fantabulous!! Nice job!!

MONKEYMAN
    I like that fork! <droolz>
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by mroach
    What did you use to fill the brake boss plug?
    Yes, please. I have been trying to find these as well.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Yes, please. I have been trying to find these as well.
    you mean these?
    (clickity)
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Anyone know if a Nevegal 2.35 will work in a 1x1 29er setup?

Members who have read this thread: 4