1st SS endurance race..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

1st SS endurance race..

I love riding my new SS El Mariachi so much I got the bug to use it in the Wilderness 101.I went for a test training ride last week about 50 miles and 6000 ft in climbing and felt pretty good.So I contacted the race director and now have officially switched divisions to SS division.I absolutely love how the SS handles and is about 5 lbs lighter then my geared bike.Even if I can only do around 75 miles I'll be happy.In some ways I feel I'm could be commiting "ritual suicide by SS" for finishing but sometimes you have to go for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode my El Mar SS at the Stoopid 50 and while I over-cooked it early on I still managed to finish. Bending a seatstay probably didn't help my cause. Just make sure you choose your gear wisely and have fun!

Bro Mountainbiker
    You will be good! Especially on a SS, start steady, finish strong. Pick a lower gear than you would otherwise choose.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I actually prefer SS for endurance - no granny gear to fall back on makes me keep working!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    It's easier for me to overcook it when riding with gears. With the SS you are changing your cadence and position often, using different muscle groups; makes it good for endurance.

What the **** am I saying; makes it great for EVERYTHING!!!!
    (well almost everything).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm running a 32 in front and a 20 in back.I feel pretty confortable with that gear...it still blows me away that I feel faster,not only on singletrack but the long mountain climbs.I probably switch my Karate Monkey to SS come spring. A higher gearing 36 front and either 20 or 22 back.I feel when I get on my geared bike its a mechanical issue waiting to happen.
    Last edited by shackleton47; 07-06-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: x

Members who have read this thread: 0