1st Singlespeed ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

1st Singlespeed ride

I built up my 1st singlespeed and took it for a spin last night on local singletrack. short 7 mile rolling loop. not much elevation gain or loss, but up and downs are steep. I was surprised how smooth and fast I was. Certainly no slower than on my 4" travel XC geared dually. Actually a little faster maybe.

Is this a common phenomenon? I was shocked.

Also, i felt less fatigued on the moderate climbs I attempted. Could this be a result of more efficient power delivery though less drivetrain loss and suspension movement? I could stand and mash like a madman as opposed to sitting and spinning. Is it possible I was actually spinning myself out on the geared bike?

Anyways, cool stuff. I had planned on using the 1-speeder to improve fitness on weekday rides. Felt very connected to the trail... It may become my weekend bike too...

I am running a 32x16 setup on a Fisher 26er Procal frame from like 1999 or 2000. weighs like 21 lbs. Sweet

Your thoughts and sugestions are appreciated...

Chris

Gravity Tester
    I'll probably have a similar story in the next day or so. I'm picking up my first SS this evening. I really had nothing I wanted to convert, so I've opted for the Bianchi W.U.S.S. I find myself in a single gear for much of my riding anyway, so I wondered why I was dragging all that metal around with me and not using it. Should be interesting. The majority of trails around here are short ups and downs no "mountains" around for many miles.

Just hit it with speed
    I am picking up an '06 Rig and I have thought about nothing else for the last two weeks except taking it for a spin.

mtbr member
    It'll be your all the time ride before you know it. You only drink the Kool Aid once.....
    Enjoy your new ride
    luck favors the prepared.

mtbr member

Good job! Welcome to the Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Christian A
    I built up my 1st singlespeed and took it for a spin last night on local singletrack. short 7 mile rolling loop. not much elevation gain or loss, but up and downs are steep. I was surprised how smooth and fast I was. Certainly no slower than on my 4" travel XC geared dually. Actually a little faster maybe.

Is this a common phenomenon? I was shocked.
    Chris
    Not that there is anything wrong with us (or is there?), but you have experienced your first taste of something that might be addictive. If you don't want to get hooked, run very far and fast away from any bike with just two gears (one front, one rear). I don't know where you live, but if there are others near you who are already addicted, they will do their best to get you hooked too. That's what happened to me here in the land of the DOD. For ~5 years I resisted, but these guys (Shiggy, Sparty, General Coonskins, and others) are like the Borg, I was assimilated. I have ridden my geared bike exactly twice since building the SS up last October and have already worn out one cheap alloy chainring, two chains, and two sets of Avid disc pads. I won't say it's easier than geared, and I will use my geared ride for the next two epics (Cottage Grove Chapter, Cascade Cream Puff) but if the ride is less than four hour saddle time, I will choose the SS every time. If it's too steep for my 34/21 combo, I can go to my 3rd speed (walking). Our last adventure was documented in pictures by Sasquatch and is on the Oregon board at:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=197912

<It may become my weekend bike too...> Welcome Luke, we knew you'd come over

Flaps

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The rig is a sweet setup. I was riding an 06 Paragon. same Geometry. GF Genesis geometry is pretty nice. I have two friends who swear by their Rigs. Great choice. I'm thinking about an 07 if this singlespeed thing works out for me.

mtbr member
    Also, i felt less fatigued on the moderate climbs I attempted. Could this be a result of more efficient power delivery though less drivetrain loss and suspension movement? I could stand and mash like a madman as opposed to sitting and spinning. Is it possible I was actually spinning myself out on the geared bike?
    The straight drivetrain and suspensionless bike have very little to say, maybe you can expect 2-3-4% gain? I does not know, but it is NOT MUCH.

I experienced the same thing. I deduced that the SS-bike FORCES you to relax more downhills/flatties, since the mashing does fatigues you out quicker than a geared bike.
    I am much more relaxed now at my SS, because the gearing makes me slower at the
    flatties who I am forcered to look at other places than at my pedals...
    With gear it is easy to have same strain at their legs all the time, undependable of terrain - easier to be overtrained, especially after several days of bicycling.
    My impression was that 95-100 in cadence is best (=most effective), and this is still true,
    but I experieced quickly that my body have adapted from 25 in cadence to 140 in cadence, so I have been stronger and better at lower cadence. Of course it is easier to damage your own knees at lower cadence, so the force/pressure at pedals have to be lower, or use your whole body to mash uphills. Too many forget that your body does adapt, and this is a really
    impressive thing. My back is stronger now, my strength is better, my low cadence ability is better, my biking is more relaxed, and I am not in hurry anymore. A Good Thing (tm).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001
    I am picking up an '06 Rig and I have thought about nothing else for the last two weeks except taking it for a spin.
    Tell me about it I had to wait three months after ordering mine in mid Jan. But It was worth the wait, and then some.

Retro Grouch

I don't believe any of it..

A bicycle is a non-motorized and more efficemt way of travel than walking. My opinion is SS taps into the inherent strengths of walking/running, i.e. the steeper the climb, the harder you work, and flat speed is naturally restricted; also without a bail out gear you stay with what you got or you walk. In other words what doesn't stop you makes you stronger. But I will admit that it is addicting

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    I think the faster, less fatuguing climbs has more to do with using a bigger gear and thus getting to the top quicker.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! The Pain...

Don't forget the pain ... the delicious addictive 'gimme some more' pain...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

trail rat

I agee with all the reasons above

Plus you learn to direct your power more efficiently - from alternately pulling on the bars, rocking the bike, pushing the pedals, while the hams on the other leg lift. You have time (and incentive ) to figure out how to be more efficient when you are not flipping shift levers.

I'm on day 7 of a new SSled. Takes me back 20 years when we were riding rigid bikes, primarily from Tom and Gary, with some upstart company mass producing the $tumpF*cker.

Rode my normal short loop of 13.7 miles with 1500 feet climbing, 4 miles paved, 2 miles dirt road, then mostly 2 track. I was at the top of the climbing in 2 minutes longer time than my FS after one 60 second rest (gasp & wheeze ) and about 100 feet of speed 2 (walking). Was back home after the complete loop in about 8 minutes longer than typical. I think part of the time deficit is having to coast (34:20 spunout) the gradual downhil pavement where I could crank it to almost 30mph if I had more gears.

Accept that you have been aSSimilated! Lets see pics of the new bikes!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 0