1993 TREK 800 Crankset replacement to SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

1993 TREK 800 Crankset replacement to SS

What kind of crankset and bottom bracket would I need as I convert this 800 to a single speed?

Thanks

mtbr member
    The ones you already have installed, using your existing middle chainring. Then replace the cassette with a surly cog and spacer kit to line up your chain with the middle chainring. IF your frame has vertical dropouts you'll either need to get lucky on chain length, use a half link in your chain, or use a chain tensioning device. If you have horizontal dropouts, you won't need to fuss with that stuff. Strip the derailleurs, shifters, cables and housing and voila! Singlespeed goodness.

Here's a pic of my old XC Pro crankset using middle ring. It's flipped around so the chainring bolts fit in the recesses:

Here's a pic of the cog and spacer kit on an 8-spd freehub:

'Tis better to bail and not to hurt, than not to bail and eat much dirt!
    -unknown

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Woodpuppy, thanks this all new to me after spending a life on the road! From everything that I can see the existing middle chainring and the other 2 are actually one solid unit. What is the work around for that?

mtbr member
    Mmmmm, nuts. Not sure, you might need a different crankset. It also depends on what you want to accomplish. Trying SS just to see if you like it? Just use the middle ring and don't worry about the outer and inner. Use the cog and spacers as shown in my pic above. What model is the crank? Should be cast into the backside of the crank arms. If the rings are one piece steel I don't think you can replace them. But you should be able to find an inexpensive crankset which will fit your old bottom bracket that has separate chainrings.
    -unknown

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    woodpuppy, thanks. I have in a way been trying SS all season, i have been riding the following set up 4-5 times a week for the last 4 months, the chain is on the middle ring up front, the cassette is still on the back with a singulator in place of the derailleur and i have had a blast riding it on hard pack, rails to trails, and single track. The shifters and front derailleur have been removed and of course now i am looking for that nice clean look of a single cog on the back and a single chain ring on the front. I am sure the rings are one piece steel, i will look and see about the make of the crank.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd replace the crankset. You can find nice square taper shimano cranks on eBay for not much $$$. I used an old biopace crankset on a SS a few years ago. It worked well. Those old cranksets are super tough (and heavy) and will last a long long time.

mtbr member
    Haray, sounds like you know what you need to do then. The singulator is already handling your chain tension. You'll just need to match your new cranks to the BB spindle length, or go ahead and install a new BB too with your new cranks. If you go old school square taper shimano, the UN55 BB is cheap and works fine, and will be available in the length you need. Good luck and have fun!
    -unknown

Screw new cranks. Just take a file/grinder to the outer chainring and call it good. Then you've got a bashguard and you've spent literally $0.