135mm 36 hole Flip Flop Hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

135mm 36 hole Flip Flop Hub?

I am looking for an economical 135mm 36 hole hub with a fixed on one side and a freewheel on the other. I know Phil Wood makes one but the 250 dollars would be more than I spent on the entire bike, not saying they are not worth it. I know Surly makes a hub but it is freewheel on both sides, and I have read mixed feelings about bolting up a fixed to a freewheel because of the lack of space for the lockring. From what I have read on Sheldon Brown's site there may be an issue with chain line as well. I also remember reading about a few other options like a IRO cycles hub but I dont think they are in business anymore or at least their website is down. The only other option I can think of is going with a single freewheel disc hub, and then drill a cog to fit the disc mount, I know there are mixed feelings about this setup as well. Does anyone have any options/advise? This is my first single speed build and I cant wait to get on the trail...
    David

JJT
    mtbr member
    Try White Industries, they can get you one. Not as economical as Surly, but more economical as Phil Wood.
    Singlespeed Central - European SS and 29" webshop

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Surly makes the hub you want in 32H. Any particular reason you need 36H?
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Iro website is not down

http://irocycle.com/iro/
    Raw power's got a healing hand
    Raw power can destroy a man
    Raw power is so more than soul
    Got a son called rock and roll

98 % of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs if you are in the 98 % range copy and paste this in to your Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Get the nashbar SS cassette hub and drill a cog for the disk brake side. Its 36 hole, $35 and rock solid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I purchased 36 hole rims before I did alot of research on hubs, my mistake, if I did it again I would go with 32 but now I get to do a crows foot lacing. I swear that I tried iro's website the other day and it was down, unfortunately I was wrong about them offering a hub with the specs I need. I assume the threaded side can accept a freewheel on the nashbar hub despite the fact it comes with a cog. Can I get a good chainline with a freewheel on there? Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laszlost
    I purchased 36 hole rims before I did alot of research on hubs, my mistake, if I did it again I would go with 32 but now I get to do a crows foot lacing. I swear that I tried iro's website the other day and it was down, unfortunately I was wrong about them offering a hub with the specs I need. I assume the threaded side can accept a freewheel on the nashbar hub despite the fact it comes with a cog. Can I get a good chainline with a freewheel on there? Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated.
    its a free-hub, you cant run a freewheel on it.

you could get a fixed/fixed hub, and throw a freewheel on one side.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am sold. I am going to give the nashbar hub a try and use a gear on the disc brake mount. The rims just showed up and they are not quite what I expected but I am still going to run them. They are Campagnolo Thorr rims which are 26" with a 23mm outside diameter. so I am trying to figure out which tire to run since it is a pretty narrow rim, as current mountain bikes go. Its definately going to be a unique setup. On another note and off the topic of this thread, can I run a 26x1.95 tire on these rims or would that just be unsafe? I have done alot of reading online and am still not sure. Thanks for all the help.
    David
    Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by laszlost; 02-16-2007 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have some wheels with Campagnolo Thorr rims. They are a very strong box-section rim. They are perfectly functional, and seem to be available for cheap as NOS rims on Ebay. I run 26x2.25" knobbly tires on them on trails with no problem. For street commuting I run a Panaracer/SOMA 26x1.75" slick.

Members who have read this thread: 1