12x142mm single speed hub opinions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

12x142mm single speed hub opinions

hey guys ' looking to upgrade my Stans Flow MK3 wheelset hubs
    Was considering the Phil wood (KISS-OFF)hubs , or the Paul (WORD) single speed hubs. my bike is a 2015 Superfly SS
    ive kinda heard bad reviews of the NEO hubs i have right now on my wheelset thats why im looking to just upgrade the hubs.
    thanks..
    SuperflySS

mtbr member
    I don't think much has changed since this thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/1...ub-832448.html

mtbr member
    The Onyx hub is amazing, virtually infinite POE and allegedly lifetime lube and all ceramic bearings. Have used Hope SsTrials and Hadley, so thr absolute silence of the hub may be the most enjoyable part about it.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    man those Onyx hubs are really sweet.... that's crazy how quite they are too.. so you would definitely recommend them right

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superflySS View Post
    man those Onyx hubs are really sweet.... that's crazy how quite they are too.. so you would definitely recommend them right
    Absolutely! Thinking about replacing the Hadley on my ROS9+ with one. Not the lightest hub, but I'm a clyde and my bikes are not light either, seem well built beefy as a Hadley. Even over hope and hadley the engagement is noticeable.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Unless you just want to spend money, I’d keep the current wheel set until it blows up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    im happy with the Stans flow wheelset i have just plan on changing out the rear hub, the more research i do on the Onxy hub the more i want it ..lol. they are a little pricey thou..

mtbr member
    Changing the hub will most likely require new spokes as the dimensions of the new hub will be different. At that point you are replacing everything but a $75 rim. Essentially, You’ll be paying for a “new” build so why not just build up a brand new rear wheel. That way you’ll have a spare for emergencies.

You can also do it yourself. If you haven’t built one yet, it’s not hard and it is a very satisfying feeling.

That said, I also agree with OldHouseMan, ride it til it dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My bikes are faster than me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2185 View Post
    changing the hub will most likely require new spokes as the dimensions of the new hub will be different. At that point you are replacing everything but a $75 rim. Essentially, you’ll be paying for a “new” build so why not just build up a brand new rear wheel. That way you’ll have a spare for emergencies.

You can also do it yourself. If you haven’t built one yet, it’s not hard and it is a very satisfying feeling.

That said, i also agree with oldhouseman, ride it til it dies.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    bingo!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2185 View Post
    Changing the hub will most likely require new spokes as the dimensions of the new hub will be different. At that point you are replacing everything but a $75 rim. Essentially, You’ll be paying for a “new” build so why not just build up a brand new rear wheel. That way you’ll have a spare for emergencies.

That said, I also agree with OldHouseMan, ride it til it dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely! Ride it until it dies if you're happy right now. Had a set of Stans 3.30 paired with Hugo rims that came on my ROS9+ was not happy with either the rim which dented if you looked at em the wrong way, nor the hubs due to low POE on the rear SRAM XD, front caps hung up on the TA when getting in and out my FJ plus really super shallow engagement into the hub. Replaced with Hadleys and i45 WTB scrapers.

BTW, I build my own wheels. As others have said best thing you can do to save bucks. Best when you have time to shop for deals and slowly build up what you need for the build both parts and knowledge. I usually watch a vid I bookmarked on uTube right before builds for a refresher and go, though I did buy a Park truing stand and tension meter, a cheap down-payment really. Haven't had to even re-true any of probably 10 wheels I've built and I'm a clyde at ~220#.

Here's the last one I built with that Onyx hub fro my ROS9, WTB i29 Asym(didn't need but got cheap and matched front wheel which didn't built as it was such a bargain) was a little trickier than normal but worked out perfectly. (Replaced a Hope SS/Trials 36H MTX33 rim combo, wouldn't recommend for that Hope for clydes as they have a real weak spot that breaks and noisy as hell). Also other silent hubs out there like True Precision so do your research. I do think silent hubs fit SS better now, but had to buy one of these for more hiker filled trails as I'm too quiet at times

https://www.mtbbell.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

12x142mm single speed hub opinions-new_wheel.jpg
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS