120 MM suspension Fork for SS 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

120 MM suspension Fork for SS 29er

I am looking for a suspension fork for a SS 29er. I would like a fork that locks out while standing and mashing. My question is can we get a fork that locks without a remote lever?

mtbr member
    I would think that any fork will lock if you reach down and twist the damper all the way over. it would be more difficult to find a fork that does NOT have this feature.

Secondly, I never see anyone lock out their fork. A modern fork that is properly set up rarely, if ever, needs to be locked out. I use it for long stretches of pavement when the need arises.

The more important questions are about compatibility: steerer tube (tapered or straight), hub/axle type, tire width. Then ask what kind of weight, adjustability, stiffness, etc. you need.

Also, how is this singlespeed specific? You might get more useful information if you post this question in the suspension sub-forum.

I have a 120 mm Reba with some bottomless Tokens in it. 15x100 axle. It's a bit flexy but it's OK for me. Something stiffer with bigger stanchions would be nice, like a Yari or Pike.

Downcountry AF
    Fox SC34.

/thread
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Modern forks are pretty good at resisting pedal bob. My 2009 Reba would bob like crazy out of the saddle and needed a lock out. My 2017 Manitou Magnum (now Mattock) is very efficient out of the saddle, and I have not wanted a lock out.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

Always in the wrong gear
    Deep fork bob means poor setup these days.

Most of my friends ride Fox 34s. Itís a good fork, and of the 6-7 of them kicking around, only one uses a remote lockout.

I occasionally use the lockout on the fork leg on my Manitou Magnum Pro. I donít know if itís quite as of a fork good as the Fox, but I have only a few very minor complaints. It was hard to tune, but works great now.
    I chose it because a Bontrager XR4 29x3.0 fits in there, unlike the Fox, which rubs the brake arch.

Also, I got it for $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    I use a 29er DVO sapphire 100-140 mm adjustability, 32 mm stanchions, 51 offset, 15x110 mm axle , It clears a 2.8 tire (but not a 3.0)
    It works veeeery Well

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Secondly, I never see anyone lock out their fork. A modern fork that is properly set up rarely, if ever, needs to be locked out. I use it for long stretches of pavement when the need arises...
    I have remote lockout on my Fox32SC and love it on my SS. I use it all the time to get nice feeling fork, but also more responsiveness when I am standing climbing. I have same fork my geared bike and don't have a remote and mostly keep it open. But there is much less standing climbing.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Fox SC34.

/thread

can you elaborate? i too am searching for a not-too-shitty-but-not-more-costly-than-my-car fork for the Krampus. Will be SS only, therefore stand-and-mash

mtbr member
    I'm going with the fox 34 Step Cast with remote.120mm,clearance for 2.6,stiff enough, and not too heavy.

If you don't want a remote, you could try to find a Specialized brain fork

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I'm going with the fox 34 Step Cast with remote.120mm,clearance for 2.6,stiff enough, and not too heavy.

If you don't want a remote, you could try to find a Specialized brain fork
    I just swapped a Pike for an SC34, no regrets, nice fork for a trail bike.

For an XC bike that doesn't see rough terrain, I'd go SC32 for weight, still plenty stiff.

No need for a remote, just reach down and twist, not sure if you need it locked, then set it in Propedal
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I just swapped a Pike for an SC34, no regrets, nice fork for a trail bike.

For an XC bike that doesn't see rough terrain, I'd go SC32 for weight, still plenty stiff.

No need for a remote, just reach down and twist, not sure if you need it locked, then set it in Propedal
    Singlespeed riding is a lot about momentum and speed prior to the climb. Especially for steep climbs, you really don't want to have to reach down to flip a switch at the same time you should be picking up speed.

mtbr member
    Maybe it's because people ride different trails in different regions, and some people are counting seconds because they are actually racing, but I've never felt the need to change anything on my fork except on long stretches of pavement, that is, when reaching down a few inches to flip a switch is not a liability. Faffing around with a lockout, remote or not, sounds like a waste of time and mental energy when you just want to abide, and contradicts the simplicity that drives me to ride a singlespeed.

I can barely feel the difference between my fork being locked out and open when on pavement, but I certainly feel it on the trail. I suspect that, if the difference between locked out and open on a SS hardtail means enough difference to a rider that it bugs them, they either have a poorly tuned fork or they have a princess/ pea scenario going on. Just set your fork up right and pedal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Fox 34 Grip (budget 34). The Grip damper has an easy to turn large lockout knob. Would I use it while riding - no too much effort / distraction for our trails. Tuning a fork for mashing pedal bob is a compromise. Adding enough LSC or upping the spring rate just means a take away from small bump compliance. If I were dead set on having a lockout it would be a remote.

I am Walt
    As a SS'er, I have been on and off the lockout lever on the crown for years. I use it *ALL* the time, and am very used to reaching down and flipping it quickly. Never an issue for me, and I find it of huge value.

Just built up a new SS, and have a SC34 with the remote lockout, and it is a game-changer. Never would have thought I "needed" the remote, but now that I have it on my SS, I can't see not having it. It's so simple and easy, considering how often I use it.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Read up on the FOX SC34, sounds like the perfect fork. I have an older fox 32 on my FS bike and works well, just needs to be rebuilt every 2 years or so. I never had a lockout lever but it seems to be a nice addition. Riding a SS speed there is nothing to shift so a little lock out lever should be OK. Thanks for the input guys

WillWorkForTrail
    I personally wouldn't build up a single speed with a suspension fork unless it had a bar mounted lockout. That said, if I went to buy a new fork right now for my SS at 120, it would almost certainly be a SC34.

Still interested? I have a 120mm fork with a bar mounted lockout on my single speed right now. If I'm standing up to pedal, it's locked out. Good setup or not, When you're putting out 100% on a single speed, if you want it all on the ground through the pedals, you want a lockout.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    When you're putting out 100% on a single speed, if you want it all on the ground through the pedals, a rigid fork is lighter and more efficient.
    Fixed
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Category Winner
    I'm loving the SC 34 my Vassago. I have a single speed built up rigid, so there's my full-on lockout option, I guess.

The Vassago either sees mountain duty or local trail fun. I'm either locking it out for long climbs, or for rolling single track, I just leave it in the medium setting or just full-open because the adjustable low-speed compression damping is just that good.

Best 120 fork I've ridden so far.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3Ę every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Iíve been riding the 120 Fox 34SC on my Blacksheep SS for about 4 months now. Fox has nailed it with this fork . I run 29x3.0 and it handles anything I throw at it.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Iíve been riding the 120 Fox 34SC on my Blacksheep SS for about 4 months now. Fox has nailed it with this fork . I run 29x3.0 and it handles anything I throw at it.
    What rim and tire combo are you running on that fork for 29+?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Stanís Baron with a Bonty XR2 29x3.0
    Tubeless at 10-11 psi
    you're lucky enough.

Downcountry AF
    Interesting, I didn't know the SC34 fit a 3" tire.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know the SC34 fit a 3" tire.
    The XR2-style tires do, including the Ranger and Bomboloni.

Bigger knobs donít, like XR4, DHF.
    I thought I read a DW is tight, but might if not muddy.

A good friend of mine is about to try a Cannoli soon. I think itís gonna be tight too. Not huge knobs, but itís a tall tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    For some reason images won't load properly. Hopefully you get the idea about clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120 MM suspension Fork for SS 29er-e7ed3487-2fad-4ae6-bb69-19ad34180708.jpg  

120 MM suspension Fork for SS 29er-45ae6a0a-6b2b-4ebb-bf4f-c1be44c67097.jpg  

you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Post # 9 what Coke said: Fox 34 Stepcast with 2 position FOX remote.

I have this on my XC bike and will be putting one on my LES SS to replace my 2015 RS Sid 100.

With all things being equal the handlebar remote is much easier than reaching down and twisting the dial on the fork stanchion. The remote allows you to keep both hands on the bar.

Love this fork and set up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This fork seems to be around $1000, that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post

I have this on my XC bike and will be putting one on my LES SS to replace my 2015 RS Sid 100.

With all things being equal the handlebar remote is much easier than reaching down and twisting the dial on the fork stanchion. The remote allows you to keep both hands on the bar.

mbtr member
    My favorite SS fork was a lyrik rc2dh. I altered the compression shim stack so that the LSC was high enough that it served as a lockout, but it blew open very easily above that threshold. I could stand and climb with it 'locked' but it wouldn't ping off rocks like a locked out fork will. It was slightly compromised on the DH, but any lockout fork is. Cranking the HSC adjuster closed helped.

So that's another way to get a fork that locks without a remote lever.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I used to run a Manitou Marvel Pro with remote lockout on a Surly KM. It was great. Because I could use the lockout so quickly, I never got bogged down with the fork left open on on a quick uphill but never had to forgo the travel either when I was approaching a downhill and didn't have time to twist the lockout knob. When I sold the bike and fork, I got a more trail-oriented SS rig (Kona Honzo, 120mm Pike), figuring I'd just use the Pike's lockout knob. To my surprise, I haven't used the lockout much, perhaps because the new bike has a lot more reach and doesn't require that my body is way over the front of the bike when climbing. Who knows. Anyway, to my surprise, I haven't missed the lockout as much as I expected to.

mtbr member
    I have seen them ranging from $800 and up. The 34 stepcast is 1/2 pound lighter then the normal 34 fork.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    This fork seems to be around $1000, that sound right?

I am Walt

^^Precisely this, and I built up my LES SS with one, also.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    I have seen them ranging from $800 and up. The 34 stepcast is 1/2 pound lighter then the normal 34 fork.
    I paid well less than this...pays to have a hookup!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    How well does the trigger lockout work on the Step Cast forks? I was always under the impression that the reason most forks don't have a trigger lockout is because they aren't very reliable and/or don't work well.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    How well does the trigger lockout work on the Step Cast forks? I was always under the impression that the reason most forks don't have a trigger lockout is because they aren't very reliable and/or don't work well.
    The Fox lever is OK, but not the best available. I think the SR Suntour one is better, more metal less plastic. There was one other one I liked but can't think of it ATM.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Fantastic for me thus far, under hard riding and race conditions. Zero issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure if the cable pull would be correct for Fox using non Fox remotes. I have a Rhythm 34 & would like to add a lock out but not sure if I have room for a lever style. Here are a few I was checking out :

https://www.ebay.com/p/SR-Suntour-MT...d=273144934811

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-RST-Fo...t/263174512332

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Ro...N/253637616176

mtbr member
    What Waltaz said: zero issues with the fox remote. Works like a dream, I know there have been issues with the grip shift type twister system.

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Fantastic for me thus far, under hard riding and race conditions. Zero issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have fox 3 position remote lock out. Push to lock set-up. Works great, but as I retro fitted it to a fork it did take some time to dial in just right. Too little cable tension and it won't fully lock out. Too much and it won't release. I use the 3 position alot. Open for most riding, but when I need to stand and climb I use middle position to limit the lost energy from fork compression. When things get really steep, but smooth I will lock out the fork and I can say there are places I can only clean it with the fork locked. That bit of extra power transfer from my body is enough to get over stuff. Also I like push to lock because if it ever failed I would rather run the fork wide open than locked.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The new RS Revelation is a great fork for a good price. It locks out easily. Easy fork to adjust, reliable, works well. I dig mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I use a reba with a bar lock, have friend that loved fox terralogic forks. You will want something that is easy to lock and unlock. Any fork will BOB standing and punching your way up a climb.