12 Hours of Humboldt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

12 Hours of Humboldt

Hey,

Considering riding this as a solo on my SS. It'd be my first solo endurance event. I see they have a SS catagory....anyone know if the course is SS friendly?
    Click That Sh*t

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The 12 hours of Humboldt is a very single speed friendly race. The course is very up down, no real flats that I can think of.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msiddens
    Hey,

Considering riding this as a solo on my SS. It'd be my first solo endurance event. I see they have a SS catagory....anyone know if the course is SS friendly?

I did this event last year and won the 2 man SS. We were the only team... but got 2nd place over all teams, 2 and 4 person.
    The event is located right in the center of Arcata, based out of their town park. CAn't remember name. The course was just OK imho. Very steep climbs, 34x20 was good gearing but many found themselves walking later in the day up climbs. Most of the course was on dbl track. Some single track but most descending, and very short sections.

Fun event. If you are considering this event, also consider Weaverville. This course and set up of the entire event was THE BOMB!

mtbr member

Yeah, what he said....

Quote Originally Posted by SSconny
    I did this event last year and won the 2 man SS. We were the only team... but got 2nd place over all teams, 2 and 4 person.
    The event is located right in the center of Arcata, based out of their town park. CAn't remember name. The course was just OK imho. Very steep climbs, 34x20 was good gearing but many found themselves walking later in the day up climbs. Most of the course was on dbl track. Some single track but most descending, and very short sections.

Fun event. If you are considering this event, also consider Weaverville. This course and set up of the entire event was THE BOMB!
    Of our three endurance events, 12 Hours of Humboldt is the least technical, but the climbs can be mo-fos. Every year we have singlespeeders scamble to the LBS for lower gearing. This event's appeal is having 95% of the course under the shade of redwoods, having the venue be right smack in town (Redwood Park) where it's the most spouse-friendly mountain bike race imaginable! Your significant other can go to the farmer's market, go shop in the Plaza, take in a move, whatever.

For real singletrack fixes go to our 12 Hours of Weaverville, April 29 and to the Whiskeytown Nine to Five, Oct. 7.

Bigfoot
    www.teambigfoot.net

mtbr member
    OK I did it I registered. Also trying to recruit at least two others to come with. I'm running a 32 X 17 and may gear up to 32 X 19 for the event. Thoughts?
    Click That Sh*t

mtbr member

Maybe a 20t

Quote Originally Posted by msiddens
    OK I did it I registered. Also trying to recruit at least two others to come with. I'm running a 32 X 17 and may gear up to 32 X 19 for the event. Thoughts?

Think about getting a 20 tooth...we've seen pro-level singlespeeders go that low at the 12HofH.

Last year a pro from Independent Fab went out for a lap the day before. He rode his 9-speeder to help him determine gear choice. He returned wearing a serious expression, asking "Where'd you say that bike shop is?"

Bigfoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    17 is too big... Well maybe if your Hulk or something it would be fine. I was running an 18 and that was fine for the first 8 laps or so but then it just really hurt. So this year 19 and will see how it goes. Hope this helps.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

Members who have read this thread: 0