mtbr member

100 Miler drop bags

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all you seasoned 100 milers....

This will be my first 100 mile race coming up with the Wilderness 101. I've heard a lot of things to put in the drop bags. Jerseys, socks, gloves are some examples. What do you guys reccomend and what stations do you think are the best to drop them at? The W101 allows two gallon size bags at two of the check points...Any advice?

formerly Giantxc
    Honestly, you don't need much. Here's my typical drops:

Bag 1 (usually at CP 2 during SM100, probably 2 or 3 for this years W101):
    2 Tubes
    Spare socks
    Spare Gel Flask
    Spare Water Bottle
    Spare Endurolights

Bag 2 (CP 5 or where ever they say they won't let you leave w/o lights after a certain time:
    All of the above plus lights.

Honestly, the more endurance races I do the less I find myself carrying and including in my drop bags. Most of the stuff is spares incase I lose something I need during the race or in case I find my gear getting beyond use. In the past I've left spare jersey's and shorts, but never used them. In fact, I've yet to use most of the stuff in my drop bags except my lights and even then it was just in case I had a major malfunction that took a while to repair.

Lots of people leave favorate snacks and food, but the W101 has great support and you can get most of the food you need at the check points. One year I saw somebody leave a spare wheelset and could barely believe my eyes!

try driving your car less
    i havent done the 101, but just echoing what the other guy said, you dont need much in terms of food if the race is well supported and you are not super picky on food/drink. this is for the VT50.
    if it's going to be wet/muddy, i drop some extra clothes, but rarely used them.
    realize that if you want the stuff in your bags back, you will have to wait around to get them back. so now i only put in stuff i wouldnt mind just abandoning like drink powder, energy bars or some socks.
    i just feel that if i really needed something major like a new handlebar or left nut or something, i will just drop out.
    i did see a guy pull out a thermos of good coffee and i was a little jealous. he was standing there drinking good coffee in the little cup/cap of the thermos, smiling. but then a buddy reminded me that if i drank a cup of coffee i would have to take a crap afterwards.

i kind of like the feeling of no drop bags. just simpler. eat what they provide... but beware the gummi bears! too many and... gummi tummi!
    Only boring people get bored.

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    Honestly, you don't need much. Here's my typical drops:

Bag 1 (usually at CP 2 during SM100, probably 2 or 3 for this years W101):
    2 Tubes
    Spare socks
    Spare Gel Flask
    Spare Water Bottle
    Spare Endurolights

Bag 2 (CP 5 or where ever they say they won't let you leave w/o lights after a certain time:
    All of the above plus lights.

Honestly, the more endurance races I do the less I find myself carrying and including in my drop bags. Most of the stuff is spares incase I lose something I need during the race or in case I find my gear getting beyond use. In the past I've left spare jersey's and shorts, but never used them. In fact, I've yet to use most of the stuff in my drop bags except my lights and even then it was just in case I had a major malfunction that took a while to repair.

Lots of people leave favorate snacks and food, but the W101 has great support and you can get most of the food you need at the check points. One year I saw somebody leave a spare wheelset and could barely believe my eyes!

all good advice...

I might add to my bag some extra wet wipes in case, well you know... and to top it off, I might add some bag balm in there too if I was feeling a little chafed. I also kept extra sports drink that I knew was good with my stomach and shyed away from the mixed stuff at the checkpoints. I also kept a couple of homemade cookies in my last cache that lifted my spirits!
    Good luck with your event...
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

the cool nerd
    On my experiences, my future bags will include some calories, tubes, CO2, lube/brush/rag...