10 speed chain on a SS anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

10 speed chain on a SS anyone?

Can anyone tell if it can be done? Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    I have not tried a 10spd chain simply because I don't have a 10 speed cassette. Typically I would use a 6-8 speed chain, but 9 speed works fine. I imagine that most narrow wide chain rings are for 10 speed setups so the followup is whether or not there is a 10 speed cog. According to the link below, there is and it can be used with 11 speed as well. So yeah, it's possible, you may not see many others out there doing it but so what. I think most freewheels would say to stick with an 8 speed chain.

New Absolute Black Single Speed Cog

Another link to skim:
    Reviewed: DIY single-ring setup for your 10-speed mountain bike - VeloNews.com
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I use 9, 10 and 11 speed chains. Depends on the rings and cogs you use and not if it's single speed or not.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    I've used 9, 10, & 11. In the local dusty conditions, it seems I can go a little longer before the chain gets noisy with 9spd. Also, the KMC quick links are MUCH easier to use with 9 vs. 10 & 11. I haven't broken any of them. 10 & 11 are lighter than 9, but not sure of any other advantages that are worth the typical increase in cost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Aside from cost for the lighter stuff, there aren't any real downsides to the higher gear chains. The most current technologies are found on 10 and 11 speed chains and I've found them to be more durable. The idea that narrower chains are inherently weaker is a flawed one.

mtbr member
    They are the latest tech and tests show a longer life for 10 speed chains compared to 9 speed chains and older.

If it's really important you could calculate an expected chain life and take the price difference into account to figure out the best bang for the buck, but generally if you want to save money get a cheaper chain - just not the bottom tier of course - and if quality matters buy higher end stuff.

It's not much more complicated than that. Don't obsess about it, just make a choice and ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I use a 1091R Sram with Wolftooth Chainring and Cog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I use a 10 speed chain with a raceface narrow wide chainring and chris king cog with no problem.

dwt
    mtbr member
    I just snapped a 1/2 X 1/8 "BMX" chain on my last ride. The link that failed was a half link I needed to get the right tension. I just ordered an Absolute Black 34t oval chainring which I'm swapping for my 32t round ring. Since I will need a new chain and have plenty of 10 speed chains, I plan to swap to 10 sp. Pretty sure it will fit the chainring teeth; not sure about the ACS 18t cog. Will experiment on the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've used 8sp, 9sp, and 10sp speed chains without any issues. I usually use whatever old chains there were on my geared bikes. That has been 10sp chains for the last few years.

Any chain will work as long as your cog and chain ring aren't 1/8 inch.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    One thing to think about - you're not supposed to reuse the connecting link on 10 speed SRAM chains. I run the 8 speed SRAM chains and like to remove the chain sometimes to clean it.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    One thing to think about - you're not supposed to reuse the connecting link on 10 speed SRAM chains. I run the 8 speed SRAM chains and like to remove the chain sometimes to clean it.
    I don't use the SRAM non reusable link. KMC and IRD 10 sp "quick links" work with every 10 speed chain I have tried, including SRAM, Shimano, KMC and IRD.
    Wipperman also makes a reusable link, but it is not symmetrical, unlike the KMC and IRD. The Wipperman link can't be used "upside down" or it has trouble on small cogs. I have a jar full of KMC and IRD 10 sp links. I don't leave home on any 10 speed road or mtb without a spare in my pack or saddle bag. Also have a bag full of 9 sp links, including ones that are so old they are labeled Sachs (the precursor to SRAM).

I found some favorably priced new 9 speed chains on eBay that I plan to run on my SS and road fixed gear. I'd use 8 speed chains for those, but I'm addicted to the quick links and don't have any 8 sp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.