'10 RH Comp SS??- Mtbr.com
    Mountain Man Dan

'10 RH Comp SS??

How would I go about setting up my '10 Rh Comp to a SS? I have regular drop outs for a QR. How do you turn it into a SS with a chain tensioner?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Buy a spacer kit and rear cog. Remove cassette, install spacers and cog. Remove front granny ring and big ring, reinstall middle or a new ss specific middle ring with shorter ss chainring bolts. Shorten chain or preferably get a shiny new chain to go with your new cog and chainring. Install at shortest length you can and then add tensioner. Most of the better tensioners aren't sprung (Rennen Rollenlager, Soulcraft convert, Gusset Bachelor, DMR STS). Remove all shifty bits. Enjoy!

Mountain Man Dan
    Ok. Can you direct me to a good spacer kit and cog, ss specific middle ring, shorter ss chainring bolts, tensioner? I'll pay ya. Hahaha. Thanks.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's all in what you want to spend, I recently did mine with a cheap spacer kit (ebay), surly rear cog ($25 or so), surly chainring ($30) both from universal cycles, ss chainring bolts (ebay, get steel), kmc 8 speed chain (found a good deal on amazon), and I was using a modified cheap spring tensioner but I just ordered the Rennen Rollenlager the other day ($50 google the name to find). All steel drivetrain should last me a long time, I'm running a 32-18 on my 26" Giant. Also make sure you have a chian whip and lock ring tool for removing the cassette, and look up how to remove your drive side crank arm to get that granny ring off. Any other questions just ask, helping you is much more fun than finishing my homework.

Mountain Man Dan
    Would this work for a spacer kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANO-BLUE-Origin8...#ht_500wt_1156

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yep that would work. Just word to the wise most people prefer cogs with a wide base when using them on an alum freehub (which your bike probably has). The one that comes with those spacers would be ok to use for a little but could eventually gouge your free hub.

Mountain Man Dan
    I don't want that **** then. Lol. I want a cog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Surly or Homebrewed components if you have a little extra coin (He's a member on here makes some stunning pieces.

Members who have read this thread: 0