1 x1 Riders Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. 1 x1 Riders Help

I have set up a nice 1 X 1 with avid mechs. When I go to change out the rear tire, I have to move the brake to get the wheel out. Is this common or should I be able to slide the wheel out without having to re-adjust the brake every time?
    I'm afraid that If the brake isn't down far enough, I won't get the full pad contact.

Thanks for the help
    I will post pics soon

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    That's the way it's supposed to be. There's lots of ways of doing disc tabs for horizontals, but most of them require at least loosening the caliper mounting bolts to remove or adjust the rear wheel. You NEED full pad contact, and will just have to learn to live with this. Kind of a bummer, but at least the disc tabs are freely adjustable and whatnot. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 2big2ride
    I have set up a nice 1 X 1 with avid mechs. When I go to change out the rear tire, I have to move the brake to get the wheel out. Is this common or should I be able to slide the wheel out without having to re-adjust the brake every time?
    I'm afraid that If the brake isn't down far enough, I won't get the full pad contact.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member

Wink Hmmm, must be particular to Avid Mechs...

...and maybe some others. My Hope Minis allowed me to remove the rear wheel with no issues.

Just stop flatting...

Sean

Thanks for the help
    I will post pics soon
    Professional Amateur

Wannabe Singlespeeder

Thanks for the help
    I will post pics soon
    I'm building a 1x1 right now, and have been contemplating the Avid mechs. Did your problem finally get solved? Would you recommend against the Avids? Or against discs in general?

Thanks in advance...

mtbr member

No!!!!!!!!

Don't go non-disc just for this reason. If you don't already have them many discs can now be had fairly cheap - especially Hayes and Hope Minis (non-Mono).

Most folks I know, including my bad self, have had zero issues with 1x1s and discs - assuming you have the 03+ disc model.

It's too bad the Avid Mechs cause issues because they are otherwise damn fine brakes.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by double_d
    I'm building a 1x1 right now, and have been contemplating the Avid mechs. Did your problem finally get solved? Would you recommend against the Avids? Or against discs in general?

Thanks in advance...
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member

Smile Avids still rock!

Even with the issue of moving the brake to swap out the wheel/ tube, they are still worth their weight in gold the first time you get into some slop.

The AVIDS ARE STAYING ON THE SURLY.

zeebot
    Even with the issue of moving the brake to swap out the wheel/ tube, they are still worth their weight in gold the first time you get into some slop.

The AVIDS ARE STAYING ON THE SURLY.
    i have magura marta SL and have to do nothing when taking the wheel on and off.