1 inch suspension for a single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

1 inch suspension for a single speed

Been riding my single speed fully rigid for a year now and want to put shocks on the front, but its an old school 1 inch head tube. Does anyone make a reasonable fork that isnít crazy expensive?

-Chris

mtbr member
    Marrzochi listed one of the MX serise available in 1" for '04, knew a few people that used it. Good fork, reasonable price, but not cheap.

Semper Ardens
    Nashbar.com has one:

Omega T4

Don't know how good it is, but hey - its on sale!
    When you come to a rock, ride over it!

mtbr member

1-inch suspension

Quote Originally Posted by keen to ride
    Been riding my single speed fully rigid for a year now and want to put shocks on the front, but its an old school 1 inch head tube. Does anyone make a reasonable fork that isnít crazy expensive?

-Chris
    the trusty Mag21 on my old bridgestone MB-1 SS has about 1 inch of suspension on a good day! of course, it's about a dozen years old so who's complaining? ohhh...but you meant 1-inch steerer... well it's got that, too!

seriously, i second the 'zoke recommendation. they have made a few over the last few years so you may be able to find a NOS example at a good price if you search a little. good luck!
    eddie would go.

mtbr member

any

local bike shop that deals with quality bicycle products (QBP) should be able to get you an RST Omega SL for around $200 or $250 with whatever steerer you desire. RST forks come with modular steerer tubes, so you can get just about anything

the Omega SL has "Coil spring + MCU (L)" and "Oil", which i am guessing is dampening.

the marz. fork with 1" steerer tube will be a much better and probably much longer lasting fork, but it will also be more expensive, probably around $350 to $375.
    Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (O. Wilde)

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

a maybe better alternative

Quote Originally Posted by keen to ride

-Chris
    I got a softride stem on my SS and I think it's ideal. Girvin Flexstems, which I've owned and used in the past, are also a great way to add some shock damping at the handlebar without the expense, weight, high maintenance, complexity, and sloppy handling of a suspension fork.
    I saw a post on one of these forums the other day, maybe Retro?, of somebody with flexstems for sale cheap.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

mtbr member

Marrzochi

I recently purchased a Marrzochi Comp Mx for around $200. It has been fine so far and beats the hell out of the old Rock Shox that I had for the last few years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I second the frankenstem, it's worked well for me.
    Otherwise, I have an older rockShox 1" steerer/crown assembly that you can have. You would have to swap over the legs from a 1 1/8 fork if you have one. You're welcome to it but would have to wait until christmas when I can to to it from storage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a manitou efc that i may be willing to sell.
    It has more travel than most 1" stuff.

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitus
    I second the frankenstem, it's worked well for me.

I have always wondered about flex stems. I feel the point of suspension is to increase your level of control on the trails. It seems to me that a stem that flexes would remove some control by isolating the handlebars from the rest of the bike. I have never ridden a flexstem before, nor have I ever ridden with someone who uses a flexstem; however, I am curious about people's experience with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

flexstem

I too was doubtful about the softride stem. I figured I would feel disconnected from the rest of the bike. But when I actually ride it on an XC course, I have no problems. And the front wheel tracks well because it's a rigid fork. I don't know what the weight difference is. I'm not saying it's the best thing in the world, but it worked better than I anticipated.

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    Is it allowed here to point to a website that carries the Marz for 279.00 or is that considered 'Spam'? 1", of course.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by SSPIN
    Is it allowed here to point to a website that carries the Marz for 279.00 or is that considered 'Spam'? 1", of course.
    If you have some financial connection to that website, then it would be spam. Otherwise you're just exchanging information with your fellow riders.

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    Okay. I'm not affilated or related to them in any way.

JensonUSA.

Derailleurs owned: 0
    I think jensonusa is a sponsor of mtbr...

Quote Originally Posted by SSPIN
    Okay. I'm not affilated or related to them in any way.

JensonUSA.

mtbr member

Rockshox Ruby

I know those were for more for roadies but it does have a 1" steerer. I've seen them pop up on ebay once in a while.

zeebot
    my buddy has the 1" mx comp '04 model on his Bontrager and has had a few problems with it, most notably it doesn't really dampen, and it also makes some weird noises.

the above are probably just issues with his fork only, but the main problem I see with the mx comp is it has no lockout which I simply think would suck if you climb a lot.

resident crackpot
    I second what everyone else has said. All of my current bikes, which includes three of my own (Bontrager, Trek 930, Schwinn High Plains), my wife's Rockhopper Comp FS, and my daughter's Yokota sport the 1" steer tube requirement. I have spent endless hours on eBay to relieve the need for suspension forks. The only one I bought new was my 2002 Skareb...special order and THE only one of it's kind...hehehe. I have a Specialized FSX, a RockShox Judy XC, and a very rare Manitou FS...yes, the Palmer version. All have 1" steer tubes.

Other than watching eBay ads, and ads here on MTBR, you can count on at least a decent 1" suspension fork from:
    Marzocchi either an older fork and buy a new steerer, or one of several models that they
    either currently make or have recently made. I'm not a big fan of Marzocchi so I don't really follow what they got goin' on.
    Magura has a 1" option on I think most of their forks. I don't know anything about them,
    but I do know that they at least offer it...more than the big boys can say.
    Pace does the 1" bop too, but I think they are available only overseas???

Good luck, but there are plenty of avenues that can be trodded in your quest for 1" suspension.

mtbr member

Flexo blexo

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    I got a softride stem on my SS and I think it's ideal. Girvin Flexstems, which I've owned and used in the past, are also a great way to add some shock damping at the handlebar without the expense, weight, high maintenance, complexity, and sloppy handling of a suspension fork.
    I saw a post on one of these forums the other day, maybe Retro?, of somebody with flexstems for sale cheap.

It seems that you are missing the whole point of suspension on a mtb to begin with. While having the added benefit of relieving fatigue, suspension is designed to keep the wheel on the ground and thus have more control over the bike. "sloppy handling of a suspension fork"? You must have a crappy fork. Having a suspension stem may relieve fatigue as well, buy you are missing the point entirely. On top of that it removes direct control with the steer tube of the fork, which as far as I am concerned is a big negative. I also have yet to see one that didn't have side-to-side flex that approaches unbearable. One more thing: Softride stems are no longer available. Enough said.

President, CEO of Earth

Good job! Softride Flexstem

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    I got a softride stem on my SS and I think it's ideal.
    I rode with a flexstem for a coupla years - early nineties. I loved it. I replaced it with a Manitou (pre tcp) and the decrease in performance was huge! Newer forks are better than a flexstem, but less than the people that sell them would have you believe.

bobdobbs: everything you say is true. However, at some point the discussion is academic - in real world practice, and the speeds and terrain most XC people ride a flexstem is on par with a sus. fork. The bar flex is there for sure, and if you are determined to not like it then that gives you a reason, but I got used to it pretty quick. Didn't Tomas Frishneckt(sp?). win a bunch of World cups on them?

I'd still have mine if my 1994 parkpre had not come with an Aheadset and manitou forks - which I thought would be an improvement.

The complaints about sloppy feeling forks are, of course, largely a thing of the past. In 1992, if you said your fork felt sloppy it wasn't necessarily a crappy fork. Compare a mag20 to a MX comp or a rigid fork - the mag20 feels sloppy, and a rigid fork with a flexstem feels softer and better steering precision. It was a simple, effective, pretty low tech way to soften the ride.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how about?

my pal runs two different RaceLites and a TiLite, and to get around the one inch fork issue, he took new SiD forks from 04 and with a dremel cutting wheel, removed them from the bonded crown, and then, bolted the stanchion tubes directly into his original Bontrager/Rockshox crowns that came with the Judy's. works perfect. and then you can run the new stuff.

you could also do this with a standard bolt on rockshox crown that was mated to the desired oneinch steerer tube.

welp, just an idea.

over and out
    nate

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by cursivearmy
    my pal runs two different RaceLites and a TiLite, and to get around the one inch fork issue, he took new SiD forks from 04 and with a dremel cutting wheel, removed them from the bonded crown, and then, bolted the stanchion tubes directly into his original Bontrager/Rockshox crowns that came with the Judy's. works perfect. and then you can run the new stuff.
    you could also do this with a standard bolt on rockshox crown that was mated to the desired oneinch steerer tube.
    over and out
    nate
    I have had a pet project that I've wanted to get around to for a while. I'd like to do the crown/steerer graft onto a Manitou fork. Anything after I think '99, and up until '02 (with the Skareb) has the same size stanchion tubes and C-C spacing. The only way it won't work is if my measuring has been off. Another project in the mix...remove a 1.125" steerer and replace it with a bonded, and press-fitted, custom 1" steerer. Anyone remember who it was that used a 5,000# arbor press to knock out the steer tubes?? I want to have a chat with that person.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdobbs
    It seems that you are missing the whole point of suspension on a mtb to begin with. While having the added benefit of relieving fatigue, suspension is designed to keep the wheel on the ground and thus have more control over the bike.
    It could be said that you are misssing the point there are two types of suspension, one which suspends the bike, the other which suspends the rider.

"sloppy handling of a suspension fork"? You must have a crappy fork. Having a suspension stem may relieve fatigue as well, buy you are missing the point entirely. On top of that it removes direct control with the steer tube of the fork, which as far as I am concerned is a big negative.
    How is this any different from most suspension forks which remove direct control of the steerer over the wheel?

I also have yet to see one that didn't have side-to-side flex that approaches unbearable.
    I could say the same about suspension forks. The ones with no flex either weigh a ton or cost a fortune.

One more thing: Softride stems are no longer available. Enough said.
    Unfortunately true, but says more about marketing and the appearance of suspension forks than performance.

That said, I'll take a headshock over either a suspension stem or a telescoping suspension fork.

Sam