1/8" chain with 3/32 rings- Mtbr.com
    Single Speed Steve
    Jun 2005

1/8" chain with 3/32 rings

Has anyone noticed more chain noise when running an 1/8th" chain on 3/32 rings vs. 3/32 all around? I've looked very closely and can see a little space between the ring and inner chain plates. Not sure if this would create extra noise or not. I am religious about lubing the chain so that should not be a factor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Not any more noise

Quote Originally Posted by ssoulrider
    Has anyone noticed more chain noise when running an 1/8th" chain on 3/32 rings vs. 3/32 all around? I've looked very closely and can see a little space between the ring and inner chain plates. Not sure if this would create extra noise or not. I am religious about lubing the chain so that should not be a factor.
    I don't think you should notice anymore noise as long as you have good chain tension. If you have a spot or similiar chain/bash guard with a 3/32 chain ring you should probably run a 3/32 chain, cause you might get a little bit of rub on the guard, that's what I do on one of my bikes, the other one is running a 1/8 chain on a bmx integrated ring guard, 1/8 size and a regular fw which can run a 1/8 or 3/32 chain, i've not noticed any bad annoying noises.

Single Speed Steve
    Jun 2005
    I am currently running the Sram PC-1 but will switch to the PC-58/68. I saw another post that said the PC-1 is a low budget chain. I have noticed it does have a tight spot in it. I get it clean and well lubed. Thanks for replying, no one else did.

Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    I don't think you should notice anymore noise as long as you have good chain tension. If you have a spot or similiar chain/bash guard with a 3/32 chain ring you should probably run a 3/32 chain, cause you might get a little bit of rub on the guard, that's what I do on one of my bikes, the other one is running a 1/8 chain on a bmx integrated ring guard, 1/8 size and a regular fw which can run a 1/8 or 3/32 chain, i've not noticed any bad annoying noises.

Cubicle Fugitive

Low budget!

The PC-1 is a great chain at a great price. A strong, nickle plated chain for under $10? That beats the PC-58 hands down.

mtbr member
    One runs the risk of breaking the chain when it doesn't fit right.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.