1/8" Chain on 3/32" Gears- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1/8" Chain on 3/32" Gears

What potential problems will I have if I run 1/8" chains on 3/32" gears? And will there be a problem if the chainring is 1/8" and cogs 3/32"?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no problems at all, I run a sram pc-1 ss chain on my 3/32 cogs all the time
    a little noisy compared to a 3/32 chain, but other than that it's ok

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Same here. I actually think the pc1 is quieter than the 3/32 chains I was using.

Birthday Collector
    If your frame is really stiff and you have a good chainline, it shoud run fine - may be a little noisy as the chain has room to move side-to-side a bit, but that is all. I rode this on a frame that had some lateral flex to it, and it did let the chain jump off under hard efforts - kinda surprised me, but it happened twice, with good chainline and decent tension - only under really hard effort tho.. Likely it was as much or more the "ramped and massaged" profiles of the 3/32" cog teeth than the narrow factor. The 1/8" chain may have had some lateral momentum as it moved and in the right spot, was able to climb off. Might have done it with a 3/32" chain too. I only did this so I could have a 32 x 23 to climb Oat Hill Mine Rd. After the ride I went back to my 33 x 20...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

aka baycat
    Kind of sucks from my experience. Try to keep my single speed as quiet as possible and a 3/32 KMC 610HX I picked up has a lot of movement on the White ENO and Rennen rear cog. Makes a ton of noise when grinding up hill. Not sure if I need a period of "breaking in" but it sounds like my rear hub will blow up . Switching back to a tried and true SRAM PC850.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why would you?

mtbr member
    No real reason, actually. I have an unopened 1/8" chain but 3/32" cog. Didn't want to buy a new chain if there were no problems. But after reading that there may be noise issues, I'm trying to see if I can exchange it for a 3/32" one.

Chainrings are usually 3/32", aren't they?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartaSpartan
    Same here. I actually think the pc1 is quieter than the 3/32 chains I was using.

the pc1 is quieter, as least for me

I have a perfect chainline, and I just took off the pc1 for a kmc610 3/32" chain

and the 610 is way noisier, I think I am going back to the pc1

Members who have read this thread: 1