1/2 link that will work with a 10 speed chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

1/2 link that will work with a 10 speed chain?

I cut a ten speed chain too short. So I'm using it on my single speed. My sliders are almost all the way back so is there a half link that will work with a KMC 10 speed chain and the KMC quick link?

Thanks
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

Ride Responsibly
    I could be wrong, but I think half links are limited to 1/8 size chains. They are too wide for a derailleur.

mtbr member
    They are made for 3/32" SS chains also.

But a 10 speed version sounds unlikely because they are narrower AFAIK.

If you are using a 10 speed chain, is it fitting over the chainring and rear cog ok? or are you not using SS specific parts?

Probably the simplest thing is to get a proper SS chain - a BMX shop will have them - they are cheap enough, their quality is good, and halflinks available.

What you are paying a premium for in a derailleur chain is that it is designed to skip off the cogs and chainring easily. Not really a feature that is desirable in a SS drivetrain
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    yea, i think a $7 SS chain will be a better choice than buying a half link and trying to use a 10 speed chain, and probably not much more expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well, like I said in my posting I cut this chain too short and rather than binning it I'm see how it stands up. I usually use a KMC Z710 Superlight.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why not add a full link back? If the sliders are all the way back, there should be enough adjustment to accommodate it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Why not add a full link back? If the sliders are all the way back, there should be enough adjustment to accommodate it.
    Cause in the world of chains everything happens in two. You have an inside link and an outside link. The only way around it is the half link.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    Cause in the world of chains everything happens in two. You have an inside link and an outside link. The only way around it is the half link.
    Dude, really?

A whole link is a set of inside and a set of outside plates and measures 1" long from the two end pins; there is no "inside link" and "outside link". A half link is so called because it's only 1/2" long, but can still connect into a chain like a whole link.

My previous post was, however, wrong. What I meant to say was take a whole link out. If you're sliders are all the way back, they should easily be able to move forward enough (roughly 1/2") to accept the shortened chain.

Since Sheldon Brown is a arbiter of all bicycle truths:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Dude, really?

A whole link is a set of inside and a set of outside plates and measures 1" long from the two end pins; there is no "inside link" and "outside link". A half link is so called because it's only 1/2" long, but can still connect into a chain like a whole link.

My previous post was, however, wrong. What I meant to say was take a whole link out. If you're sliders are all the way back, they should easily be able to move forward enough (roughly 1/2") to accept the shortened chain.

Since Sheldon Brown is a arbiter of all bicycle truths:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html
    Well not quite back all the way. I know with chainring and cog that I'm using if I want it forward there is no way around it without a half link. Then my calling inside and outside plates links negates your fubar. Were even.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

Members who have read this thread: 0