08 Rig or Trek 69er- Mtbr.com
    People of zee wurl,Relax!

08 Rig or Trek 69er

I am looking for a SS race bike for next season and trying to decide between these two bikes. The new rig is an awesome bike but I can get a really good deal on a Trek 69er that would make them about the same price. For XC racing which of these bikes would you choose? I am 5'7" about 135 lbs and will be racing the Mountain States Cup in Colorado and New Mexico so lots of climbing. These SS racers in the Rocky Mountains are fast so I need every advantage I can get.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

awesome
    I'd get both, the 69er for racing and the Rig for fun riding

I wish I had the $ for that.

I am looking at the specs on both bikes and can't figure out why the Trek has a MSRP of $2500 and the Rig of $1300. I would almost prefer the Fox to the Maverick for reliability. The weight is about equal between the 2 also. Anyone racing a 69er and have an opinion of it? There are not many reviews of the Trek.
    Less Talk, More Rock.

awesome
    Clearly it was a joke, even though I wasn't aware of the price difference.

Isn't the duc msrp more than a $1000 including the proprietary stem and wheel build? That should explain the difference.
    If you get the trek for that much, part it or sell it complete, you should end up with enough cash for a Rig, better crankset, chainring, cog, stem, bars, seatpost and saddle. Just my $0.02.

Exclusively Single
    You should try to get as much time as you can on both and get which ever one feels best to you. You can read opinions on here all day but that won't change how they feel to you when you ride them.

Having said that, between the two I'd go for the Rig; though if it were my money I wouldn't get either one, even with shop discount.

mtbr member
    The Trek 69er felt too high in the front w/ the 100mm travel fork and the stem that you can't swap out for one with less rise (or even a neg. rise). I think for racing a more forward position is probably the better way to go. From what I heard the geometry is that way because Travis Brown likes it that way for more technical riding. The 69er wouldn't be a bad way to go if you switched the fork to a something with a lockout and that you could put your own stem on..........

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Dirt rag has a review of the trek in the latest issue. It's online.

The Rig sounds better

After reading the Dirt Rag review I'm reluctant to try the Trek. It sounds like the fork is not very reliable. The main reason I like singlespeeds is the lack of mechanical issues. I would love to go with a custom bike but for a light fast singlespeed it looks like the Rig will be hard to beat.
    Less Talk, More Rock.

mtbr member
    I ride a 69er. After having mucho problems with the fork I swapped it for a Reba and now I have no complaints.

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by justridnalong
    I ride a 69er. After having mucho problems with the fork I swapped it for a Reba and now I have no complaints.
    What kind of problems have you run into? I know a couple of guys who swear by the DUC after a test ride on a rip9 so equipped.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I own a 69er, a current rig, and a ferrous. They are all very sweet in there own way. If I would have one it would be the Ferrous, But I love the 69er, it rides awesome. My buddy actually just rode it on the white rim trail with a 32x16 and cleared the whole thing in a day....
    It just takes a little more time to get dialed in to your liking.
    Go with the 69er. You will thank me once you get some miles on it.

Bored
    The Trek is speced with better bar, stem, post ect, hence the bigger price difference. However, most of the better parts are house brand, so I'd be inclined to buy the Rig, and swap some parts to tune it to your specifications. Add better cog, post, saddle, stem and bars.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was in that situation, and I got the Rig. I took the 69er out and around the parking lot and it felt very hard to steer, like a truck. That was only riding around the parking lot. Plus I didn't want to have to worry about having 2 different tube sizes, or having to jump through hoops if I ever wanted to upgrade wheels or stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaxFactor
    I was in that situation, and I got the Rig. I took the 69er out and around the parking lot and it felt very hard to steer, like a truck. That was only riding around the parking lot.
    ^ felt the same way test riding one on a trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    it steers awesome on the trail. and you only need to carry 26" tubes for the 69er.

Mtbr
    I have a 2008 Rig that my dad and I decided to get over the Trek 69er that was on ebay, and we are very happy with our decision.
    I test rode the Rig and the 69er, and I didn't like the Maverick's action, or it's QC problems at all. I also didn't like how the bike handled as much as the rig, and it felt the same at acceleration. If I had to do it again, I would have done the same thing. See the thread for the rig here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=359310
    Last edited by dbo43867; 11-23-2007 at 11:21 AM.
    2008 Rig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    What kind of problems have you run into? I know a couple of guys who swear by the DUC after a test ride on a rip9 so equipped.
    First there was some crown slippage on climbs. I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem on a geared bike but while standing on steep climbs the crown would teeter from one side to the other and rub the paint off. I kept tighting the pinch bolts a little bit at a time till one broke.

Maverick sent me another crown that was made for unpainted forks and I had to drive wedges in the pinch slots of the crown, sand the clear coat off the fork, and beat it on with a rubber mallet to install it.....this did remedy the slipping.

shortly after that one of the drop outs broke. I didn't get them real tight to begin with but the creaking noise coming from the bottom of the fork made me adjust them a little too tight and it broke.

I wanted to race the bike while I was waiting on parts so I threw a 80mm Reba on and now I can't make myself put the maverick back on. I replaced the dropout and the fork is ready to ride but I'd rather sell it than to experience any more Maverick.

That's gonna leave a mark
    The 69er is a great bike with a Fox 29er fork. I think you could buy it as a frame only to build with the part spec you want. If not, you could buy it and sell the DUC fork.

At 5'7" tall, the RIG has to tweak the geometry too much to prevent toe overlap. Too much of a compromise, if you ask me.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    At 5'7" tall, the RIG has to tweak the geometry too much to prevent toe overlap. Too much of a compromise, if you ask me.
    Even with the new G2 Geometery?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by justridnalong
    First there was some crown slippage on climbs. I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem on a geared bike but while standing on steep climbs the crown would teeter from one side to the other and rub the paint off. I kept tighting the pinch bolts a little bit at a time till one broke.

Maverick sent me another crown that was made for unpainted forks and I had to drive wedges in the pinch slots of the crown, sand the clear coat off the fork, and beat it on with a rubber mallet to install it.....this did remedy the slipping.

shortly after that one of the drop outs broke. I didn't get them real tight to begin with but the creaking noise coming from the bottom of the fork made me adjust them a little too tight and it broke.

I wanted to race the bike while I was waiting on parts so I threw a 80mm Reba on and now I can't make myself put the maverick back on. I replaced the dropout and the fork is ready to ride but I'd rather sell it than to experience any more Maverick.
    Thanks for the info, your experience with the fork sounds like a royal PITA

mtbr member
    I had a similar decision. Frame cracked on B29, Airborne belly up so SOL on warrenty, loved the 69fully at interbike (own a super caliber 29), wanted to buildup a SS for winter project so ordered 69ss frame and F100. Root Beer Matte and White Yahaaa, have ta use the color blind story

Members who have read this thread: 0