mtbr member
    Feb 2004

05 Monocog Flight assembly manual or torque specs

I just got a 05 Redline Monocog Flight for a good deal on ebay. Though the bike came mostly assembled. I was wondering if there was a site for the assembly manual, mainly the proper torque specs for everything (mainly the stem bolts). I just used the closestt torque specs from the back of my zinn manual. Is there a website with this info, I checked redlines site and no info could be had. Just want to make sure everything is nice and tight before my first ride, which I am waiting on the new brake cables to come in to complete my disc brake conversion. But my brakeless ride around the basement was fun well beside forgetting I had no brakes and almost crashing into the sliding glass door.
    Last edited by mikeyp187; 12-27-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp187
    I just got a 05 Redline Monocog Flight for a good deal on ebay. Though the bike came mostly assembled. I was wondering if there was a site for the assembly manual, mainly the proper torque specs for everything (mainly the stem bolts).
    Did your Flight Monocog come with a Ritchey stem? If so, stem torque spec you are looking for is 5nm (44.25 inch-pounds). You can usually find the torque specs for each part on the individual manufacturer's websites. Only other thing I could think of you could need would be the BB spindle bolt torque spec. Sorry can't help you there without knowing which BB you got in your bike, but you can do a search on the web and find it more likely than not.

As a soap box side note, I use torque wrenches when working on everything. I keep the torque specs for common parts on my bikes inside the door of my parts cabinet. It's amazing that a lot of people don't understand what a torque wrench is. It is used to set and tighten the bolt to the proper tightness, not to tighten it as tight as possible. You use it not to overtighten, strip fasteners or bend or distort or crush parts you are assembing by overtightening them, while still tightening them enough (as tight as the manufacturer specs indicate they should be tightened so the part doesn't slip or move under the use they designated). It's a lot easier to strip out and break off bolts not using a torque wrench, most people tend to hamfist the bejesus out of everything anyway with hand tools it seems.

I mention this because I had one numbnut respond to a post in a previous thread on this with "I don't need a torque wrench to tighten anything any tighter, I torque everything down as tight as possible by hand anyway". Some people's kids...

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Did your Flight Monocog come with a Ritchey stem? If so, stem torque spec you are looking for is 5nm (44.25 inch-pounds). You can usually find the torque specs for each part on the individual manufacturer's websites. Only other thing I could think of you could need would be the BB spindle bolt torque spec. Sorry can't help you there without knowing which BB you got in your bike, but you can do a search on the web and find it more likely than not.

As a soap box side note, I use torque wrenches when working on everything. I keep the torque specs for common parts on my bikes inside the door of my parts cabinet. It's amazing that a lot of people don't understand what a torque wrench is. It is used to set and tighten the bolt to the proper tightness, not to tighten it as tight as possible. You use it not to overtighten, strip fasteners or bend or distort or crush parts you are assembing by overtightening them, while still tightening them enough (as tight as the manufacturer specs indicate they should be tightened so the part doesn't slip or move under the use they designated). It's a lot easier to strip out and break off bolts not using a torque wrench, most people tend to hamfist the bejesus out of everything anyway with hand tools it seems.

I mention this because I had one numbnut respond to a post in a previous thread on this with "I don't need a torque wrench to tighten anything any tighter, I torque everything down as tight as possible by hand anyway". Some people's kids...

Cheers,

Dave
    Thanks just what I needed, I agree on the torque thing, I got burned when the used KHS solo one I bought had everything over torqued. It wound up ruining the frame, and I was forced to part out the bike. Now I got a torque wrench so I am all good.

Members who have read this thread: 0