05 Hardrock Siningle Speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

05 Hardrock Siningle Speed

$350.00 for a new Specialized Hard Rock Single Speed. Good, Bad or Going Price for this Bike?

jmw
    mtbr member
    I think it is a standard frame w/ a tensioner.....??

I've got a 15" Hard Rock frame for sale in the classifieds.....
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    future nature

Formerly DMR For Life
    the hardrock SS is a dedicated bike...no tensioner

guessing thats going price...i'm a little surprised its going for that much since 06 hardrocks are going for that price although there isn't a SS this year interesting everyone else is getting into SS's and SPec. is getting out
    DMR

mtbr member
    That's a pretty good price. I was looking at an '05 back in the summer and the cheapest they'd go was $500 on it. I ended up converting a '05 Hardrock Pro Disc instead and can tell you that the basic setup (chassis) makes for a fun, affordable SS.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grtpmkn
    That's a pretty good price. I was looking at an '05 back in the summer and the cheapest they'd go was $500 on it. I ended up converting a '05 Hardrock Pro Disc instead and can tell you that the basic setup (chassis) makes for a fun, affordable SS.

nice bike! i have that bike only i haven't converted mine. i love the paint ont the blue ones! i think that i might have to find my self a used one and convert it for cheap!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    the hardrock SS is a dedicated bike...no tensioner

guessing thats going price...i'm a little surprised its going for that much since 06 hardrocks are going for that price although there isn't a SS this year interesting everyone else is getting into SS's and SPec. is getting out
    DMR
    Look closer at the picture - the bike DOES have a tensioner. That would be a deal breaker for me. I assume they did it that way so that they could use vertical dropouts with no EBB or sliders and to use the same frame as the other Hardrocks. Maybe they didn't sell very many because of the tensioner so they dropped it for '06. Too bad - an inexpensive mass produced single speed would be a great addition to the market (the Redline Monocog is close, but I think there should be one that retails for under $400).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Look closer at the picture - the bike DOES have a tensioner. That would be a deal breaker for me. I assume they did it that way so that they could use vertical dropouts with no EBB or sliders and to use the same frame as the other Hardrocks. Maybe they didn't sell very many because of the tensioner so they dropped it for '06. Too bad - an inexpensive mass produced single speed would be a great addition to the market (the Redline Monocog is close, but I think there should be one that retails for under $400).
    I own an '05 SS. There is no tensioner. The bike you see in that photograph is a conversion from another model of Hardrock. I'll take some photographs of the '05 SS when I get home (if I remember to) - there is no tensioner, and it has horizontal dropouts.

Peace & Love

Peace & Love
    you are welcome....i am simply sitting at home sick with a 3 day weekend with zero rides and to put salt in the wound, perfect riding weather!!! so, i am happy to help

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks Fo. That's pretty much identical to mine

I wish they'd put standard MTB brakes on instead of the Tektro brakes, but I haven't had trouble with this set of Tektros yet (the Tektros that came on my Ibex were just bad...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid
    nice bike! i have that bike only i haven't converted mine. i love the paint ont the blue ones! i think that i might have to find my self a used one and convert it for cheap!

Thanks!!! Yes, mine is a converted bike, so I had to go with a chain tensioner to get things just right. I went with this instead of the SS because:

1) I loved the blue/black flame paintjob
    2) this had the Avid BB5 mechanical discs instead of the Tektros
    3) I couldn't find a SS model anywhere at the time

Peace & Love
    Thanks!!! Yes, mine is a converted bike, so I had to go with a chain tensioner to get things just right. I went with this instead of the SS because:

1) I loved the blue/black flame paintjob
    2) this had the Avid BB5 mechanical discs instead of the Tektros
    3) I couldn't find a SS model anywhere at the time
    that is indeed a nice bike. i too dig that paint job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    that is indeed a nice bike. i too dig that paint job.
    Thank you! That actually means quite a bit to me considering the fact that yourself and Aquaholic have some of the most unique posts and some very nice bikes (at least from what I can remember seeing) on here.

Someday I'll have to get it outside and get some better pics of it because I did intend on it to be a piece of affordable eye candy (hence the subtle additions like Crank Brothers 50/50X pedals, meaty Maxxis Hookworms and Truvative Style cranks and bash ring).

Peace & Love
    Thank you! That actually means quite a bit to me considering the fact that yourself and Aquaholic have some of the most unique posts and some very nice bikes (at least from what I can remember seeing) on here.

Someday I'll have to get it outside and get some better pics of it because I did intend on it to be a piece of affordable eye candy (hence the subtle additions like Crank Brothers 50/50X pedals, meaty Maxxis Hookworms and Truvative Style cranks and bash ring).
    funny thing is, while I definitely LOVE aqua's bike, I am trying to enjoy the more simple things in life since my spending was getting WAY out of control. 4 single speed purchases last year is absolutely pathetic!!! well....at least I sold one of them so only a net gain of 3

enjoy your bike my friend.

cheers

Live Free Or Die!
    Quote Originally Posted by alikkon
    Thanks Fo. That's pretty much identical to mine

I wish they'd put standard MTB brakes on instead of the Tektro brakes, but I haven't had trouble with this set of Tektros yet (the Tektros that came on my Ibex were just bad...)
    I have to agree with you on this one. I had purchsed a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc just a few months ago. I just picked up a 2005 Hardrock SS because of this thread and because I needed a better commute bike. I really wish that it had the same brakes and brake levers of the Comp Disc.

Members who have read this thread: 0