04 Chameleon+discs, someone????- Mtbr.com
    USB Rep'n

04 Chameleon+discs, someone????

This is the question that seems to elude a straight answer even from the folks at SC. I know SDizzle has made it work but I still don't get it since I don't really understand how the dropouts are on the 04's. Is the disc tab movable or fixed. If its fixed, how do you run different gear ratios? I ask since I'd be changing often between a 32-14 and 32-17 depending on whether Im riding park or trail. Can someone help educate me on how to make this happen, how to make wheel removal easy, or if I'd simply be better off using V's on the back and a disc up front??? I know its been asked, I just don't get it.

For what it's worth, the parts specs are coming along. Waiting on the arrival of the Rootbeer frame (saw a RB Heckler and was so convinced I made the right color choice), got some Hussefelt cranks, Avid Mag levers, and a brand new Firefly waiting to go on. Azonic Hot seat saddle, Wellgo flats, DH stem, and post, all check. Gotta get wheels (hence the disc question) and a few other tidbits but otherwise I'll be readyt to roll as soon as the frame arrives (I can barely wait).

Thanks for the help and patience.
    Scott
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

answers from someone in the know...

on '04's, the disc tab is fixed. no slidey-slidey along the dropouts like on the earlier models, and no rotation on the same ala bianchi or surly. it is where it is, and it's staying.

the tab is in the perfect position for running it with the wheel all the way forward in the dropouts, with the little proprietary chain tensioners in place. if you remove the chain tensioners, you can put the wheel further forward.

the short answer is: you're going to have to fock around with spacers on your avid discs (hopefully that's what you're running) in order to get it as close as you can. it is a sub-optimal setup, but i was able to make mine work fine (32:18).

The man who fell to earth

splicing...

I don't have a Chameleon so take this with a grain of salt, but I do have an SS with horizontal dropouts and a fixed brake mount. I can swap gearsets out without too much fuss, and usually without tweaking the position of the caliper. If you set it up just right, you can arrange it so that the pads are still fully grabbing the disc at a fairly wide variety of fore/aft wheel positions (although there are limits). Hopefully you're using Avids too because they are very easily adjustable.

But in the event this strategy doesn't work, just have a very short "splicer" length of chain with a halflink with you that can be used to adjust the chainlength and keep the wheel in the same position, regardless of cog used. Or maybe even just have two chains, one long (for the 17t) and one short (for the 14t) to keep things simple.

good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    This is the question that seems to elude a straight answer even from the folks at SC. I know SDizzle has made it work but I still don't get it since I don't really understand how the dropouts are on the 04's. Is the disc tab movable or fixed. If its fixed, how do you run different gear ratios? I ask since I'd be changing often between a 32-14 and 32-17 depending on whether Im riding park or trail. Can someone help educate me on how to make this happen, how to make wheel removal easy, or if I'd simply be better off using V's on the back and a disc up front??? I know its been asked, I just don't get it.

For what it's worth, the parts specs are coming along. Waiting on the arrival of the Rootbeer frame (saw a RB Heckler and was so convinced I made the right color choice), got some Hussefelt cranks, Avid Mag levers, and a brand new Firefly waiting to go on. Azonic Hot seat saddle, Wellgo flats, DH stem, and post, all check. Gotta get wheels (hence the disc question) and a few other tidbits but otherwise I'll be readyt to roll as soon as the frame arrives (I can barely wait).

Thanks for the help and patience.
    Scott
    Last edited by Ziggy-Stardust; 03-24-2004 at 12:54 PM. Reason: errata

USB Rep'n
    great advice guys, thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of the chain idea. Cheap fix to the problem it sounds like. Just mark the spot and set the length. The disc position never changes!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    See if you can get a pre-04 adapter. (ie, the upside-down model) It will still fit your frame, and allows you to remove the wheel without screwing around with the brake. It slips right out the back. Again, it's less than optimal, but it will certainly do the trick, and I've never ahd even the slightest problem with mine!

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    This is the question that seems to elude a straight answer even from the folks at SC. I know SDizzle has made it work but I still don't get it since I don't really understand how the dropouts are on the 04's.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member

This is my lone gripe with SC...

...the Chameleon is an established SS frame with a wide following but SC is several years behind the competion to accomodate the SS crowd with slotted tabs.

Seriously, how f'ing hard is to put slotted IS tabs on a frame a la Surly et al? There is zero compromise for the geared riders and a whole new world of converts from the SS side of things.

Stupid, stupid move by SC, especially in light of their progressiveness on many other fronts - especially affordable, tough, solid-performing FS bikes.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Seriously, how f'ing hard is to put slotted IS tabs on a frame a la Surly et al?
    Exactly.

Straight from the horse's mouth, 'the Chameleon was never meant to be run SS with discs.' When I read the e-mail I was taken aback.