$2800 for a SS frame ... are you kidding me!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

$2800 for a SS frame ... are you kidding me!

2012 Specialized Stumpjumper HT SS 29er frame only ... really! Did I mis-read? I thought Niner was crazy for asking $1800 for their carbon SS HT frame.

mtbr member
    you misread. it comes with a reba that appears to be specifically for this frame.

Apr 2007
    I'm seeing the Stumpjumper carbon frame-only at $2,200. If I were to spend that on a Spec, I think I'd rather go with the S-works frame set ($3,300) and get a PF30 adapter.

But I gotta say, the frames are pretty looking. I bet they're uber light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Okay, I did misread. The frame comes with a Reba fork AND and carbon seat post. Much better ... bikes are getting so expensive!! Thanks.

mtbr member
    derp

Low Rep Count
    Still ridiculous! I would definitely get the Niner before spending that on a Spec. For that price you might as well wait another couple of months and save a few hundred more and get a Black Sheep! That or even less and get a Coconino. At least both of those are custom made for you!

Low Rep Count
    Still ridiculous! I would definitely get the Niner before spending that on a Spec. For that price you might as well go custom. I would spend less money and get a Coconino steel custom! Made in the USA out in AZ. It might weigh a little more (probably twice what the Niner or Spec weigh mind you) but it would be custom made for you at about $1800 w/ Paragon sliders! I suspect it will outlive the carbon frame as well! Don't get me wrong, I love me some carbon fiber. But I have been faced with the same sticker shock for a while now!

surly inbred
    **** that.

My ghetto off the shelf swingers ride pretty dammed sweet. Mid life might be ****ing scary, but I could build 3+ sleds with that kind of coin & I'll be dammed if the ride improves exponentially. Group rides with 25k lined up behind me makes me cry. ****.

The motor makes the **** work.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Somebody will buy it....

SS XC Junkie
    I had a 2010 Stumpy s-works (2x10) in XL. The frame was nice and stiff and performed well but I was not impressed with the low bottom bracket. I experienced a lot of pedal strikes with that bike and ultimately sold it. Not sure if they raised the BB on the newer versions but it's something to look out for.

Probably comparing apples to oranges but overall I like my Lynskey Pro29 frame over the S-works. If you're going to lay down that kind of cash on a frame i would highly recommend the Lenz Milk Money - hands down THE BEST and MOST FUN SS frame I've ever owned/rode!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Specialized frame only pricing is awful. I have no problem with the company or their bikes, they make some great stuff. Its just that their pricing is only competitive in the mid/upper build kits, but for those kits the pricing is outstanding. The super premium kits are outrageous and their frames only are outrageous. Giant has the same pricing scheme. If you want a frame only, buy another brand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't know, I ride my single speed for so many reasons - one of which is to confirm that I don't need a $6,000, full susser to have fun. Crazy prices on new bikes - I feel like it kills the spirit of SSing a bit but to each their own.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by bigNslow View Post
    I don't know, I ride my single speed for so many reasons - one of which is to confirm that I don't need a $6,000, full susser to have fun. Crazy prices on new bikes - I feel like it kills the spirit of SSing a bit but to each their own.
    Tru dat. $500 dollar bike, 1k hookers. That way you aren't scratching your balls in lycra the day after.

Fat & Single
    Crazy cash for a Special ed, def the carbon Niner or an off the shelf Ti frame..... or save a bit more and get an IF.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    **** that.

My ghetto off the shelf swingers ride pretty dammed sweet. Mid life might be ****ing scary, but I could build 3+ sleds with that kind of coin & I'll be dammed if the ride improves exponentially. Group rides with 25k lined up behind me makes me cry. ****.

The motor makes the **** work.
    Enlightened words...and if I may add something, next year, this time, the value of that frame will be fractioned, as a new uber expensive boing comes around the block...
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well if you are looking for a Carbon 29 SS frame with sliding drop outs then your choices are fairly limited and I'm sure that is the reason for it being priced so high. I think the only other offering is Trek's Superfly SS frame set. No doubt the Air9 is a great frame but its also known for being extremely harsh compared to some of the more 'compliant' carbon hard tail frames recently released.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I spent a bunch on my road frame and guess what? I've had less fun on that bike than I do on my $800 SS. After that experience, I would rather have several less expensive bikes than a holy grail that doesn't live up to the hype in my head.

aka baycat
    For that scratch and in my dream world I would want a Vanilla with no wait time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    All great reply's/thoughts, thanks. I originally bought my GF Rig SS for many of the above stated reasons; lots of fun, little coin. But now my Rig is 2.5 yrs old and has many races on it ... the EBB ( Carver) is such a piece of sh*t and it's taking the fun out of riding. I would like to go with horizontal drops on a frame light enough to race.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Tru dat. $500 dollar bike, 1k hookers. That way you aren't scratching your balls in lycra the day after.
    Again. Umarth rings the gong of enlightenment and shatters the veneer of my false contentment.
    Responds to gravity

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Again. Umarth rings the gong of enlightenment and shatters the veneer of my false contentment.
    I owe you a beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It is a lot of money and I will probably be stupid enough to buy that frame next year

Bro Mountainbiker
    I aint gon' lie. I rode a brain fork this week and it blew my mind. I was riding around bouncing on it for like 15 minutes because I was so amazed.

You can try to make it bob and it is ROCK solid until you lift that front wheel up 1/2 a centimeter and then it goes super plush.

I started thinking about a full suspension singlespeed with the brain in the front and back. You could destroy the competition on one of those. Rigid up hill and full plush going down! Holy hell I need one.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

The Pedaling Dragon
    Some of my buddies are getting Linsky Ti SS frames yes I do want one but they arn't cheap...but they are so nice and Ti is forever...