$168 = SS joy.- Mtbr.com

Thread: $168 = SS joy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

$168 = SS joy.

Since it's been raining here almost non-stop, I decided to spend a few weeks trolling Ebay, seeing if I could build a single speed rig under $150. I came close, and even happier with the results, wow does this little bike ride nice! Alas, I too have a brand new $2000 fs summer project bike nearly finished sitting in my den, that I fear may never get finished after riding this around...

1994-5(?) Mongoose IBOC Zero-G Steel Frame - $8
    Sugino Cranks/rings (came with frame)
    Mongoose stem (came with frame)
    Mongoose seat post (came with frame)
    Shimano bottom bracket (came with frame)
    Avid Brake Levers - $12
    Avid 1d V brakes, f&r with cable, housing, furrels, noodles, pads, etc - $20
    Extra brake line - $2
    Oury grips - $10
    1998(?) Rock Shox Judy XC fork - $30
    Aheadset - $21.00
    SS hub conversion kit - $29
    Paint/Paint remover - $12
    Various tools - $17
    Half width chain ring bolts - $7
    Wheels,bars,seat,wheels,tires,derailer,rest - all old crap I had..

Grand Total: $168

I may eventually get a chain tensioner...but for now, I'm just gonna ride - and do a sun dance or two.

College
    Jun 2004
    wonderfullly done

AussieLostInNyc

Champion effort!

The final product looks very far removed from your first shot.
    Fantastic job. Enjoy the sweet ride and I love the colour.
    G.
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Brilliant! Eager to know how your paintjob holds up. I did a rattlecan job myself and the paint would chip all too easily, so I've opted to drop the frame of for a powdercoat job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nicely done. Champion effort.
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Brilliant! Eager to know how your paintjob holds up. I did a rattlecan job myself and the paint would chip all too easily, so I've opted to drop the frame of for a powdercoat job.
    Hey Spin - where did you drop the frame off, what color are you getting, and what's it costing you? We're in the same area, and i'm looking for a good PC guy.
    Thanks.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I've had a tough time dropping the frame off, I'll admit. I stopped by two days ago, and the guy wasn't there. I called yesterday to tell him that I'm stopping by and no one picked up the phone. I'm going to try again today.

The shop is called Candid Powdercoating and they're in Ozone Park, Brooklyn. The dude's name is Daniel and his number is 718.641.4439. The shop is at 9708 100th Street (and 101st Ave). I got his listing off craigslist and a couple of us posted this in the New York forum. It's about a $100 I think. Have no idea how good he is, but I am getting him to match the British Racing Green color that's on my frame and fork right now. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

paint..

I too wonder how the paint will do. It consists of 5 coats of primer, 5 coats of yellow, and 6 coats of clear. I'll know if a few days when I can hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sweet!

the only nit i'd pick is that even though that fork might look cooler without the dust covers it won't last too long without them. older forks had crappier seals and dust covers were a good thing.

but then i think it would look sweeter with a rigid fork anyhow, NICE JOB!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

spinwheelz...

Sounds like your having a bit of problems with that place, another option may be nycbikes.com, they're in brooklyn and say if you strip your frame, they'll powdercoat it for $99. I haven't talked to the guys at the other powdercoating, but i called nycbikes about a handlebar yesterday and they seem really nice and helpful. I dont think they do british racing green though...john deere green yes...
    nycbikes.com

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'll make it brief: NYCBikes was one of the first places I checked out. You're right, they needed me to strip the frame and fork completely and could not accomodate my need for BRG. Candid will strip and powdercoat with a custom color for around $100 (probably a few bucks more with the custom color). I'm going to try the latter.

The man who fell to earth
    Great conversion cabinboy, looks awesome. I love it when an old horse is brought back to life...love the color too. You might want to let it sit in the sun, or a really hot place (attic etc) for a few days to help the paint harden decently too...helps a bit.

And I like PC too, but I've seen several bikes with it that have substantial chips. It seems that at least in some cases the stuff is so hard, it's embrittled to the point of being easily chipped.

Good job!

Beauty conversion, have fun with that there bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Smiley face.

Your bike put a smile on my face. What paint stripper did you use? If you don't mind my asking.

Specialized Epic S Works - custom
    Trek XO-1Cyclocross - custom
    Rock Lobster SS- custom

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for all the great comments!

- Forks came sans dust covers, but for $30 couldn't beat it. I've always liked those older RS Judy's, so supple. And I was after a rigid fork, but for corrected geo, just didn't fit in my budget..this was after all just supposed to be a beater bike.

- I used a enviro safe paint stripper (name is eluding me at the moment), that I picked up at the local hardware store. It worked really really good, just spray on, let sit for 15, and then scrape off with a paint knife. When I was done with that, I got the nitty gritties with a small brass brush, and hit the entire frame with #0000 steel wool. Applied Navel Jelly to any rust problem spots, and it was ready for paint.

- The other modification I made was taking off all the un-needed cable guides and rack mounts. I have a new found respect for metal smiths who spend all day working by hand.

Such a fun project.....hard not to go for a second try....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Giddy UP!
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

those are Rollercams...
    I've had a tough time dropping the frame off, I'll admit. I stopped by two days ago, and the guy wasn't there. I called yesterday to tell him that I'm stopping by and no one picked up the phone. I'm going to try again today.

The shop is called Candid Powdercoating and they're in Ozone Park, Brooklyn. The dude's name is Daniel and his number is 718.641.4439. The shop is at 9708 100th Street (and 101st Ave). I got his listing off craigslist and a couple of us posted this in the New York forum. It's about a $100 I think. Have no idea how good he is, but I am getting him to match the British Racing Green color that's on my frame and fork right now. We'll see.

Ozone Park is in Queens, that address is about a mile from where I grew up.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'll make it brief: NYCBikes was one of the first places I checked out. You're right, they needed me to strip the frame and fork completely and could not accomodate my need for BRG. Candid will strip and powdercoat with a custom color for around $100 (probably a few bucks more with the custom color). I'm going to try the latter.
    Spin, let me know how this works out for you, eiuther by PM, or a new thread.

Good luck with the whole process.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I'll post my progress report in the NY forum under that powdercoating thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love the yellow color on that and it is definitely a sweet looking ride now. If this was meant to be a junker SS then you failed miserably.

Found it amusing that you had to spend more on the grips than on the frame, bottom bracket, seatpost, and cranks together.